The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #5,581 of 29,013
Hi All, can anyone recommend some good warm/euphonic power and driver tubes for the WA3? I'm listening through the HD800, and hope to soften/smooth the sound a bit. I've only ever done one tube change from the stock RCA power tube-- to a Sylvania 7236. I liked the Sylvania with my T1's-- great dynamics, soundstage, detail, but it seems a bit much with the HD800's. I went back to the RCA and it's easier to listen to. Just wondering if there are some better alternatives (again, I'm pretty much a newbie with tube rolling). All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #5,582 of 29,013
Anyone here try the EarMax Silver Edition OTL tube amp with HD800? Would like to know how u feel.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #5,583 of 29,013
  Hi All, can anyone recommend some good warm/euphonic power and driver tubes for the WA3? I'm listening through the HD800, and hope to soften/smooth the sound a bit. I've only ever done one tube change from the stock RCA power tube-- to a Sylvania 7236. I liked the Sylvania with my T1's-- great dynamics, soundstage, detail, but it seems a bit much with the HD800's. I went back to the RCA and it's easier to listen to. Just wondering if there are some better alternatives (again, I'm pretty much a newbie with tube rolling). All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Tung Sol 5998, or my favorite, the GEC 6AS7G, best tube for the HD 800 but kinda expensive.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #5,584 of 29,013
Do you have the audiophile or studio mytek 192?

if you mean the pre-amp or the mastering version, i have the pre-amp version.

they're the same, except one has pre-amp output, and one has some SDIF DSD inputs or something

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #5,585 of 29,013
Glad you are enjoying the GS-X/HD800 combination, DG. Greatly anticipating my GS-X's arrival, so I can hear it again, this time for good.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #5,587 of 29,013

Thanks! Is 'GEC' an abbreviation for General Electric? Also, any trusted tube seller recommendations?

i think it is.

but it is NOT the same as the general electric tubes (orange boxes) that where made in the united states. its a british company and its a european tube with a completely different sound. 
not sure many sellers would carry GEC tubes, especially those, they are rare.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #5,589 of 29,013
Sep 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #5,594 of 29,013
Basically double of what a TS5998 pair will cost. Maybe more if like NiB.

I think 200-250 singles nos. up to a little over 300 nib for curved base singles on ebay. Pairs will end up being 500-600 this way. Probably like 400 a pair if used and not purchasing overpriced on ebay,

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #5,595 of 29,013
Arcamera - I owned and loved a woo 3 for many years.  It was a great match with my hd650's but (IMO) just isn't detailed, resolved, dynamic or fast enough to really show off what the hd800's can do.  Tube collecting and rolling can be a lot of fun, but I question investing several hundreds of dollars on rare nos tubes for an amp that is only worth about $350 used.  Over the years, I acquired most of the highly recommended tubes for my woo 3 - holland pq 7308's and pq 6922's [drivers] and various 5998's and 7236 [power tubes] etc. (all purchased back when they were not so obscenely overpriced).  No combination of the above made the woo 3 outstanding with hd800's.  I have since acquired a GEC 6as7g, as discussed above.  [FYI this is a british made tube, not a product of general electric.]  It is a very nice tube, but again, we are talking about subtle changes in the operation of the amp.  In fact, even skylab - head-fi's most venerated proponent of the GEC tube (in the past) advises against buying them now given the outrageous pricing.  Unless you are going to undertake serious mods, like replacing all the cheap electrolytics in the woo and GrindingThud's awesome implementation of a bottlehead-derivative constant current board (http://www.head-fi.org/t/94853/woo3-modified/225#post_9194972 ), my advice, FWIW, would be to look at a different amp.

Investing in a GEC 6as7g and a pair of decent 7308's probably would warm up the sound a bit.  But for the same money, you could build a bottlehead crack kit w/ speedball that pairs beautifully with the hd800's and betters the woo 3 in just about every way.  Frankly, I prefer my modded crack over everything in the woo lineup short of the WA5, and I'm not the only one who feels that way.  (See, e.g., post# 2573 in http://www.head-fi.org/t/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/2565# ).  As a bonus, the guys at bottlehead, and the community surrounding the crack (both here and on the bottlehead forums), are awesome, and at the end of working through the step by step, paint by numbers styled assembly guide, you will know more about headphone audio than 90+% of the members on this site.  Basically, the build takes ~10 hours for a first time builder (like I was), and is an awesome learning experience that culminates in a great tube amp.  

Alternatively, if you simply want to warm up the sound without paying much of anything - try out the anax mod.  This article explains it and provides a video tutorial at the end: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back