Hey guys, how would the Crack compare with the Little Dot Mk III in order to drive the HD 600/HD 650?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Want something a bit better sounding than your cell phone, with the ability to carry your whole lossless music collection? Enter, Sony Walkman NW-A35. This new release from Sony features five...
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 172post #2566 of 83509/4/13 at 9:50am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2567 of 83509/4/13 at 9:59ampost #2568 of 83509/4/13 at 1:01pmQuote:
I have the crack and a Nuforce HDP as a DAC I also plan on getting the 800s in the future and the only reason I have not bought a new DSD approved DAC yet is because I'm sure the bottlehead DAC will be a killer deal! Using HD 600s for your perspectivepost #2569 of 83509/4/13 at 3:54pmQuote:
MILES ahead. I found the Little Dot to be lacking in warmth and it sounded a little bland when I owned it. The Crack is one of the best amps I've heard with the HD600/650.post #2570 of 83509/4/13 at 4:06pmCheck my profile for an (incomplete) list of amps I have owned. The Crack is the best amp I have found for the HD800s, HD650s and HD600s bar none, even at (literally!) 10x the price. Yes, it is that good.post #2571 of 83509/5/13 at 12:03ampost #2572 of 83509/5/13 at 12:56amQuote:
+1 - not because I doubt it, but because I love knowing how good this beast of an amp is!!
I just finished installing the Speedball in my pre-existing Crack. I wish I could A/B it with the non-Speedball version because the sound was so good before (with GEC 6AS7G straight brown base + RCA Cleartop 12AU7) that I can't tell how much better it is .
I know it sounds ridiculously good now through the Beyer T1s, but I have no real direct comparison to be amazed by. It does seem more articulate and transparent now, but it's hard to now how much of that is in my head due to my expectations...post #2573 of 83509/5/13 at 4:32amWoo Audio WA22 ($2,000) with Tung-Sol 7236 upgrade tubes ($160) + Sylvania 6SN7GT upgrade tubes ($330) + Sophia Princess 274B upgrade ($160).
But for what it's worth, with the HD800s I also preferred the Crack over the following:
- ECP Audio DSHA-1
- HiFiMAN EF-6
- Schiit Mjolnir
- Violectric V181
- Fully top-of-the-line AMB Beta 22 that I sold for over $2k
- Little Dot Mk VI+ with about $600 of upgrade tubes
- etc., etc.
To be clear, I would take a stock Crack over any of the above.post #2574 of 83509/5/13 at 4:33amAlso: these aren't amps that I listened to for five minutes at a meet or that my friend has. These are amps I owned (or still own) and that I used extensively.post #2575 of 83509/5/13 at 4:43amThe magic of the Crack must be in its simplicity I think. It is such an easy amp to enjoy - just add >250ohm headphones!
It's a bonus to be able to role tubes to adjust the sound.post #2576 of 83509/5/13 at 8:57pmpost #2577 of 83509/5/13 at 10:30pmQuote:
Haha. I take it that's a good reaction?post #2578 of 83509/6/13 at 12:19ampost #2579 of 83509/6/13 at 2:47am
A few tube enthusiasts have opined to me that they found the Ken Rad 6C8G (RPs) to sound fairly similar to the (famed) Ken Rad 6SN7 (RPs). Now, I've haven't had a chance to actually hear the highly regarded 6SN7 version.. but if the sound of the 6F8G variant is any indication, the 6SN7 version must certainly be something special. The 6F8G's bass is definitely punchy and impactful.. w/ the focus being on the sub bass rather than the midbass. The treble has a smooth, balanced (in reference to the midrange) presence and good depth Treble is crisp & complimentary to the addictive bass and deep, engaging midrange. It's certainly in the top two or three favorite tubes I've rolled into the Crack.
Edited by FlySweep - 9/6/13 at 3:18pmpost #2580 of 83509/6/13 at 4:32am
i took a chance on a crack + speedball that was modified by the user with caps, bypass, etc on ebay as i've wanted to try one for awhile and it's quite difficult to find a prebuilt one. i hope it works out.
could someone perhaps give me a beginner's breakdown on tube rolling? this is my first tube amp and i want to try out different tubes here and there, is it as simple as finding out the compatible tubes and purchasing it and then plugging it in? that's it?
does there need to be any synergy between the 2 tubes at all?
also what's a good dac to go with it to bring out the "tubey" sound in the $200-250 USED range, i'm currently using an odac but would that be too neutral/analytical? i was thinking maybe a music streamer ii+ or a dacport lx, they're both highly recommended on headphonia.
i'm using an hd600 currently but i plan to try to get a hd650 used in the near future.
Edited by Nowhere - 9/6/13 at 4:40am
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 16 seconds ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY 2 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Noozy for Windows Demo 3 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL: 2017 North Carolina Meet 4 minutes ago
- › AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone 4 minutes ago
- › B&O Beoplay H4 announced 4 minutes ago
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear