Hey guys, how would the Crack compare with the Little Dot Mk III in order to drive the HD 600/HD 650?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction – As the current flagship of the young company Brainwavz, the R3 has a quite a lot on its shoulders. Utilizing a relatively new dual-dynamic driver configuration, uncommon with most...
Disclaimer: a. I am in no way affiliated with Fiio b. The X1 audition was a part of a world tour audition. c. There is no monetary or in kind gain due to the audition. With the disclaimer...
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 172
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I have the crack and a Nuforce HDP as a DAC I also plan on getting the 800s in the future and the only reason I have not bought a new DSD approved DAC yet is because I'm sure the bottlehead DAC will be a killer deal! Using HD 600s for your perspective
MILES ahead. I found the Little Dot to be lacking in warmth and it sounded a little bland when I owned it. The Crack is one of the best amps I've heard with the HD600/650.
+1 - not because I doubt it, but because I love knowing how good this beast of an amp is!!
I just finished installing the Speedball in my pre-existing Crack. I wish I could A/B it with the non-Speedball version because the sound was so good before (with GEC 6AS7G straight brown base + RCA Cleartop 12AU7) that I can't tell how much better it is .
I know it sounds ridiculously good now through the Beyer T1s, but I have no real direct comparison to be amazed by. It does seem more articulate and transparent now, but it's hard to now how much of that is in my head due to my expectations...
But for what it's worth, with the HD800s I also preferred the Crack over the following:
- ECP Audio DSHA-1
- HiFiMAN EF-6
- Schiit Mjolnir
- Violectric V181
- Fully top-of-the-line AMB Beta 22 that I sold for over $2k
- Little Dot Mk VI+ with about $600 of upgrade tubes
- etc., etc.
To be clear, I would take a stock Crack over any of the above.
It's a bonus to be able to role tubes to adjust the sound.
Haha. I take it that's a good reaction?
A few tube enthusiasts have opined to me that they found the Ken Rad 6C8G (RPs) to sound fairly similar to the (famed) Ken Rad 6SN7 (RPs). Now, I've haven't had a chance to actually hear the highly regarded 6SN7 version.. but if the sound of the 6F8G variant is any indication, the 6SN7 version must certainly be something special. The 6F8G's bass is definitely punchy and impactful.. w/ the focus being on the sub bass rather than the midbass. The treble has a smooth, balanced (in reference to the midrange) presence and good depth Treble is crisp & complimentary to the addictive bass and deep, engaging midrange. It's certainly in the top two or three favorite tubes I've rolled into the Crack.
Edited by FlySweep - 9/6/13 at 3:18pm
i took a chance on a crack + speedball that was modified by the user with caps, bypass, etc on ebay as i've wanted to try one for awhile and it's quite difficult to find a prebuilt one. i hope it works out.
could someone perhaps give me a beginner's breakdown on tube rolling? this is my first tube amp and i want to try out different tubes here and there, is it as simple as finding out the compatible tubes and purchasing it and then plugging it in? that's it?
does there need to be any synergy between the 2 tubes at all?
also what's a good dac to go with it to bring out the "tubey" sound in the $200-250 USED range, i'm currently using an odac but would that be too neutral/analytical? i was thinking maybe a music streamer ii+ or a dacport lx, they're both highly recommended on headphonia.
i'm using an hd600 currently but i plan to try to get a hd650 used in the near future.
Edited by Nowhere - 9/6/13 at 4:40am
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3 1 minute ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 1 minute ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 1 minute ago
- › hfb_chat - Discussion, suggestions, ballroom dancing 1 minute ago
- › Need help to test the 20,000 sound tracks music library firmware... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 2 minutes ago
- › New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival... 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Audiophile1811
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by hitchhiker
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)