The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #28,576 of 28,992
Is it possible to braid somehow the Original cable? where it split into two it's very fragile. I ordered one because the old one had splinters or whatever it called, the outside black cover is torn so you could see the cable. Is it possible to make it stronger? I also have the CARDAS AUDIO CLEAR but it broke down on one of the connectors so I need to send it for repairs, and I can't be without headphones until I deliver it and it gets back. The original cable is enough and I'll always have backup, it's not something you need to buy every year. but I want to protect it. Does anyone have any idea how?
To reinforce any cables joints and weak link. Simply buy sugru and give it a good chunk of that. Then wait for about 8 hours before start using

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #28,577 of 28,992
To reinforce any cables joints and weak link. Simply buy sugru and give it a good chunk of that. Then wait for about 8 hours before start using
hmm looks cool but I don't know if I would be able to get it. I live in Israel. any other way that I can get something from aliexpress? I would still have warranty on the cable so I don't want to mess with that.

Sep 17, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #28,578 of 28,992
hmm looks cool but I don't know if I would be able to get it. I live in Israel. any other way that I can get something from aliexpress? I would still have warranty on the cable so I don't want to mess with that.
Ugh, the only way to reinforce it is to get something to enhance it strengths. I don’t know what you can get in Israel though. But the sugru can be DIY at home….but then you don’t want to mess with the warranty, so I don’t have any further ideas :/

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #28,580 of 28,992
Been at this audio grind since 2008. I can say I've found my perfect combo of CEntrance HiFi-M8 paired with Sennheiser HD800. Not sure if its the "ideal" sound but for me this is what I've been trying to achieve since day one. Vocals are extremely forward, audio placement is pin point and still some weight to bass notes.

Sep 18, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #28,581 of 28,992
DO you use the balanced or single ended output of the HiFiM8? Thanks!

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #28,582 of 28,992
DO you use the balanced or single ended output of the HiFiM8? Thanks!

I was using balanced xlr moon audio and it sounded like crap. I switched to stock solely because it was longer and found the audio so much better.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #28,583 of 28,992
Yes, cut it off as close as possible to the termination.
Not too sure if the cable colors for the 800S are the same as the 800, but below is the wireing for the the 800 cable, as well as the XLR termination. Again, I'm not sure if the wire colors are the same for the 800S.

HD800 copy.png

XLR-Male copy.jpg
Just to confirm that the colors matched for my 800s!

I used a rhodium plated furutech 4 pin XLR with some 10% silver solder from audio consulting. Will listen to it once I feel better since I have a cold right now and my ears are all messed up.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #28,584 of 28,992
Just to confirm that the colors matched for my 800s!

I used a rhodium plated furutech 4 pin XLR with some 10% silver solder from audio consulting. Will listen to it once I feel better since I have a cold right now and my ears are all messed up.
Glad to hear that the colors matched for the 800S.
I'm in the same boat as you with a nasty cold right now, but I'm pretty much over the hump.
Enjoy!

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #28,585 of 28,992
Can anyone recommend a closed-back headphone that is similar (to the extent possible) to the HD800 SDR/S?

I've been using the HD800+SDR for years, and been through a lot of closed-backs, but nothing that had the same detail + sound signature.
I know you can't replicate the open sound, but I need something with some isolation.

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #28,586 of 28,992
Can anyone recommend a closed-back headphone that is similar (to the extent possible) to the HD800 SDR/S?

I've been using the HD800+SDR for years, and been through a lot of closed-backs, but nothing that had the same detail + sound signature.
I know you can't replicate the open sound, but I need something with some isolation.
I have no experience with it but perhaps it would be worth it to try the hd820?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back