The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #27,828 of 28,989
Huh? A new flagship is due from Sennheiser?? Did I miss something?
yeah been the works for quite some time now and keeping a tight lipped about the exact release date... should be very soon.... so start saving people...:frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #27,832 of 28,989
That planar rumor is old by now. Did any new rumours about it appear or is it the same old revival of the old rumour that happens every half a year?

Oct 24, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #27,834 of 28,989
Alright, it seems the patent has not been "disbanded" but refreshed from time to time or in the last 6 years and released last year in the US. It's gotten interesting
The first appearance of it was in 2013.

Here are a few pages of it for those that want to know where the rumour comes from:

Here's a redditor's attempt on interpreting it:

Edit: Found the US version with PDF that is in english. It seems to be different and have a bar magnet with multiple N/S poles running along the side of the magnet as shown on Sheet 3 in the PDF.

Things of note on Page 2 in the PDF:

Shame Tyll Hertsens retired because I'd think he'd love deciphering this patent considering that it is the future of planar magnetic technology.

• Variable sized gaps between the magnets as a larger gap allows more transmission of high frequencies which increases the sensitivity at high frequencies (more treble). Better ability to control the frequency response of the headphone.

• The next advantage is that the conductor trace does not have to follow the same direction as the magnets but can instead be in a transverse direction.
I think the general gist of this is that the gaps between the magnets can be altered and that means less magnet in the way of the diaphragm as well.

• It's talking about how the magnet plate can be made as one piece somehow whereas at the moment bar magnets are placed into a plastic housing as you can see on the right.

• It talks about how the magnetic flux strength is moved to one side of the magnet. This will increase efficiency as less magnetic flux is being wasted on the side of the magnet furthest away from the diaphragm.

• Fig 8a shows the one piece magnet and Fig 8b is the cross-sectional view. The hashed lines are the air gap and you can see in 8b the variable width air gaps.

• In Fig 3, 5b and 5c the conductive trace (120) is perpendicular to the magnet. Fig 3 and 5b shows the conductive trace running up and down the diaphragm but it's rotated 90°.

• Fig 4a is showing different magnet shapes that can be used. Notably the magnets are curved on the diaphragm side which has not been done before.

• Fig 1 shows your typical planar magnetic design.

• Fig 2 shows the uneven force on the diaphragm.

• Fig 6 shows how most of the magnetic flux is on the diaphragm side of the magnet.

• Fig 5c shows the variable air gaps between the magnets.

• The conductive trace on the diaphragm is centered between the N and S poles on the magnet as that is where the greatest magnetic flux strength is.

• On page 5 can someone explain [0045] and [0046].

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8w01ir/is_sennheiser_trying_to_patent_cylinder_magnets/

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #27,837 of 28,989
I have changed mine every 1-1.5 years, but then I use them everyday and for hrs and hrs so they see lots of head time.

JJ

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #27,839 of 28,989
Wow, where do you usually get the replacements pad from?
Trying to find other sources.
I got my last pair from Amazon, not OEM. Cost me about $25, and every bit as good as the original pads. Tip: keep the mounting rings from the original pads and replace the cheap third party rings with the originals.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #27,840 of 28,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back