1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.
First

Back
1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853
1855 1856
Next

Last
  1. omniweltall
    HD800 remains my top headphone today after having and trying a lot of headphones. I got mine new for $800. It's amazing how much technicalities you get for that price. Aftee all these years, expensive headphones today just give something different. My gears and I never had a problem with the peak.

There isn't much financial incentives for reviewers to hype the HD800 anymore. It's already there.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Joong, dmdm, yates7592 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hifiearspeakers
    Once again, you just demonstrated your inability to read properly, because I didn’t cheerlead. My last post was simply a second attempt to explain what someone wrote to you. If you had the ability to comprehend what someone said, then my last post to you wouldn’t have been necessary, and neither would this one.

Youth, greggf, donlin and 2 others like this.
  3. protoss
    Useless post. Again. His post full of biases. You couldn't read it to help you cheerleader. I seen you gushing over the "S" you don't belong here cheerleader.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  4. protoss
    But we got to fend off the bias "S" lovers. Notice they are the ones that cause the most problems towards the original HD800.

dmdm likes this.
  5. Maxx134
    I think you are pointing out the signature being more boosted in lowet spectrum for more "percieved" bass.
    That is the 800S signature to me.
    But..
    When doing critical comparisons, regardless of the 6k resonance, the original 800 displays a "cleaner" reproduction from the mids down to bass, over the 800S.
    I agree it's a trade off unless you go for third option of keeping the 800 with a "center mod" .

6. Ichos
    I think that HD800S is not boosted in the lower band.
    But the lowered 5-6khz region makes the lower frequencies sound more full.
    Frequency plots show that the 800 and 800S are exactly the same from the mids down to bass.

prymortal and Hifiearspeakers like this.
  7. gLer
    The 800S definitely has something different going on in the bass, even if measurements are on par. It’s definitely less clear and/or more distorted in the bass than the 800, which takes to bass EQ very cleanly - at least in all the systems I’ve heard both on. That said it’s very subtle. If you already own an 800 - especially a centre modded 800 - I don’t really see the point of switching to the 800S. Unless you only listen to jazz, acoustic and classical music, rather buy a complementary headphone, because neither 800 or 800S are masters of all genres. But at what they do well, they have no equal, not for anywhere near the asking price anyway.

dmdm likes this.
  8. protoss
    The richness of the Original HD800 is by far one of the best you can own. Clear, tight, control with no distortion. Its not muddy or veil.

Not many realize it, but its an affordable Omega! I consider it a lite version of Omega.
    heloooooo.jpg

Its also one of the greatest modding cans you can own next to the Fostex T50
    hrhrrhr.jpg

dsfddfdds.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    omniweltall and dmdm like this.
  9. tumpux
    Is it the original pad of omega?

10. protoss
    Yes, worn out thou. It is 25 years old. Sadly it becomes like a pancake. Stiff and hard. Thank goodness Omega is a featherweight

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  11. dmdm
    Where did you get those colored rings?

12. protoss
    I did not get those colour rings. Its my paint job! I take apart HD800's and mod them, also paint them myself!

I used to own 6 HD800's . I know everything about them. From plastic to which sand paper to use and driver replacements etch...

So when a bunch of cheerleaders come here and talk about pathetic useless stuff that repeats the same ol' jargon. I will be here telling them to kick rocks!

Fegefeuer, dmdm, RCBinTN and 2 others like this.
  13. RCBinTN
    With a bit of digital EQ via JRiver, that now stays nearly constant, maybe 1.0 dB up/down at 6KHz, I've yet to meet a music genre that doesn't play well on my HD800.
    And, I listen to a fair amount of rock, electric blues, and metal thanks to great music suggestions from the Head-Fi community.
    Of course, the HD800 really shine with acoustic, jazz and classical. They are just great all-rounder cans.
    I do keep the LCD-4 around for when my inner bass head rears up calling for the Audez'e house sound, which happens less often these days :)

dmdm and gLer like this.
  14. omniweltall
    Once EQ-ed, feel HD800's clean, tight, layered, impactful bass. Then it becomes a proper rock headphone!

dmdm and RCBinTN like this.
  15. gLer
    Very true, and I was being quite general. Though I have the ZMF Auteur around for the self same reason. Helps that the Auteur was tuned using an HD800 and Audio-gd amp, both of which I also have in my stable.

dmdm likes this.
First

Back
1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853
1855 1856
Next

Last