The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 28, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #27,587 of 28,989
May 28, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #27,588 of 28,989
Thanks!
I bought it at Harbour Freight. It's the Apache 4800 model. Retail is $60, but they usually have coupons for 20 - 25% off. Mine came out to around $46 if I remember correctly, here's the link:
https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-Weatherproof-Protective-Case-X-Large-64250.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

Very cool. My dad is very handy with tools (I’m not) and Harbor Freight is his favorite store. I’ll have to hit him up for some coupons.

Thanks!

May 28, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #27,589 of 28,989
You're welcome!
They have different sizes too. I originally went in for the 3800 model which is a bit smaller but since my V280 is a bit long I ended up going for the bigger 4800.
I take my stuff with me everyday so I needed the everything to fit and be well protected.

May 29, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #27,590 of 28,989
Got a new travel case for my hd800 setup.
Here's a couple of pictures when i was setting it up, still in the works:

@connieflyer I might be interested in your Draug 2 if it's for sale, pm me if it's available.

Wow, that is very nice, worms!

What a great way to travel.

May 31, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #27,592 of 28,989
Want a great dac to pair with the HD800? This is the best DAC I’ve heard, not many in the US seems to know about it. Very smooth sounding dac, with no loss of detail. Huge soundstage with pinpoint imaging and a airy feeling, very musical, I love this dac>>>> M2tech Young MK3+VanderGraff MK2. The Mk1 is great to haven’t heard the Mk2 yet.

Jun 10, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #27,593 of 28,989
I got inspired by Wormsdriver's case and decided to make my own. I only needed to transport the headphone cables and maybe a Mojo so I opted for a smaller model and purchased the Apache 2800 for around $24 (normally $28 but used a 20% off coupon). The case is every bit as rugged as the Pelican cases. I have two Audeze cases and the build of the Apache is just as good if not better. The size of the 2800 is pretty close to the size of the most recent Audeze cases (Apache - 12x9x5.4 inches: Audeze approx 13x10x6 inches).

Using the pick and pluck foam was pretty easy as I traced the outline of the headphone and just plucked along that and then adjusted as I placed the HD800 into the foam. There were two layers of foam to pluck and then a bottom layer that's not pluckable. After modifying the foam I glued them all together since it becomes easier to break apart with time and use if you don't. I built a small area to put cables and a small DAC/DAP if possible.

There are two additional items that i'll likely modify.
  1. The HD800 ear cups still stick out a bit when placed in all the way and the eggshell foam on top is quite thick (1.5 inches) and presses down heavily on the top of the ear cups. I may either cut a quarter to half inch off the eggshell foam or purchase replacement foam that is only .75 inches thick on Amazon or a craft store.
  2. The Apache sticker on top will easily peal off. I may purchase a Sennheiser sticker or print one out if possible.
Otherwise the case works great and can be purchased very cheap. If you need more room, the Apache 3800 is bigger and was on sale for $30 over the weekend (20% coupon would not work). I assume these go on sale quite often and you can avoid the $8 shipping if you purchase in store.

Below are some pictures.
IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0087.jpg IMG_0065.jpg IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0062.jpg IMG_0066.jpg IMG_0067.jpg IMG_0068.jpg

Jun 10, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #27,594 of 28,989
I got inspired by Wormsdriver's case and decided to make my own. I only needed to transport the headphone cables and maybe a Mojo so I opted for a smaller model and purchased the Apache 2800 for around $24 (normally $28 but used a 20% off coupon). The case is every bit as rugged as the Pelican cases. I have two Audeze cases and the build of the Apache is just as good if not better. The size of the 2800 is pretty close to the size of the most recent Audeze cases (Apache - 12x9x5.4 inches: Audeze approx 13x10x6 inches).

Using the pick and pluck foam was pretty easy as I traced the outline of the headphone and just plucked along that and then adjusted as I placed the HD800 into the foam. There were two layers of foam to pluck and then a bottom layer that's not pluckable. After modifying the foam I glued them all together since it becomes easier to break apart with time and use if you don't. I built a small area to put cables and a small DAC/DAP if possible.

There are two additional items that i'll likely modify.
  1. The HD800 ear cups still stick out a bit when placed in all the way and the eggshell foam on top is quite thick (1.5 inches) and presses down heavily on the top of the ear cups. I may either cut a quarter to half inch off the eggshell foam or purchase replacement foam that is only .75 inches thick on Amazon or a craft store.
  2. The Apache sticker on top will easily peal off. I may purchase a Sennheiser sticker or print one out if possible.
Otherwise the case works great and can be purchased very cheap. If you need more room, the Apache 3800 is bigger and was on sale for $30 over the weekend (20% coupon would not work). I assume these go on sale quite often and you can avoid the $8 shipping if you purchase in store.

Below are some pictures.

Well done and thanks for the pictures. A tremendous value for $24 :)

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #27,596 of 28,989
Been playing around with EQ for a few months. We need to start talking about the individual unit FR and any EQ applied. IMO it's much more important than DAC/AMP differences, not that DAC/AMPs don't matter. I'm not considering tube amps though...

Jun 14, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #27,597 of 28,989
It's also important to know HOW to apply EQ, and that applies to both analog and digital.

I've found that it's WAY to easy to kill 'the life' out of my music with EQ, and at the other end of this spectrum, to compensate for 'problems' or to bring up the extreme bottom end, with gratifying results.

But it certainly isn't a panacea.

JJ

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #27,598 of 28,989
So, guys, What headphone cable are you using? Stock, Norne, WyWires ????? . Do you like copper, silver or copper with a silver coating?

Jun 23, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #27,599 of 28,989
So, guys, What headphone cable are you using? Stock, Norne, WyWires ????? . Do you like copper, silver or copper with a silver coating?

I use a periapt cable with balanced termination. It’s resistant to entanglement, something I struggled with using the stock cable.

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #27,600 of 28,989

I'm using Wywires Platinum XLR. Great cables ... Alex adjusts the Litz wire formula based on the customer's music preferences and equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back