The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #27,616 of 28,989
screw it, i tried plenty of mods with this over the years trying to make it something that it isnt.

I just removed everything to stock, applied Tylls bass EQ and rock on! Massived soundstage,speed,lazer sharp treble, mids and bass that slams precise as knife even with eq. Who can beat these for price:gs1000smile:

If i want mellow sound ill just switch to other hps

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #27,618 of 28,989
You guys with your modding. Changing the sonic signature of the stock 800 would be a travesty. I would not keep it if it were altered. The magic is because of the way it is.

I'm watching apocalypse now right now (allow myself to introduce myself) and the sound is absolutely stellar.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #27,619 of 28,989
You guys with your modding. Changing the sonic signature of the stock 800 would be a travesty. I would not keep it if it were altered. The magic is because of the way it is.

I'm watching apocalypse now right now (allow myself to introduce myself) and the sound is absolutely stellar.
I too tried to mod the 800's, multiple times and they all 'helped', sort of, but really didn't address the fundamental issue of listener fatigue.

And in my experimentation and modding, after reducing the all to common overshoot, my 800-jmods can now deliver more of what 800's can truly offer, with greatly reduced listener fatigue AND more of the magic 800's can deliver.

I found that it isn't the 'dreaded' 6.5KHz 'peak' at all, but far to much overshoot of the initial leading edge response.
And yes I did reduce that 'dreaded peak' in DSP EQ, but not by much at all (≈ -3dB), and really it made only a slight audible difference.

Just what I have come to understand.

JJ

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #27,620 of 28,989

I couldn’t agree more, I’ve concluded it is synergy related imo. In my system I tried the mods but it stole the magic that makes the 800’s special imo. On my system, I get no peaks, only huge sound, beautiful mids, details and a very musical can to my ears. Or maybe my 41 yo ears tame them down just right LoL

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #27,621 of 28,989
I find that modding and/or EQ can work wonders for one track, but then sound s*** on the next. So for me, it quickly becomes tiresome and counter-productive. After a very long journey I am now back where I started - stock HD800. About 2 weeks ago I bought a Carey HH-1 hybrid tube amp. A pair of 6922's on the input and MOSFET output stage. Boy was that a good call on my part. I don't feel the need to EQ or change anything, it just sounds right with everything I play. Full and deep (but not over-bearing) bass, lush but not gooey mids, sparkling but not strident treble, and that unique HD800 soundstage and imaging.

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #27,622 of 28,989

Hey, same with me here. I also think that the 800 is just perfect stock. Just like it was designed by Herr Grell.
I also enjoy 800 with movies.
I am in the middle of my annual Lost rewatching session. This year I use HD800. Last year, it was HD650.

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #27,625 of 28,989

That's a good question. With a modern recording like Aurora's The River, the 800 is amazing, way beyond the S. But with say, The Pixies Wave of Mutilation, the S is the clear none sibilant choice.

Aurora is my favorite artist of 2019 btw.

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #27,626 of 28,989
It seems you’ll have to keep them both :)

I’ve online auditioned the 800 and it’s simply amazing with Classical pieces, I was not really expecting that, truly exceptional!

However it was rather sibilant with everything else I heard in those 2h, specially vocal jazz, the likes of Diana Krall for instance. Maybe it was the setup they were connected to (don’t recall the amp). I’m waiting to listen the S once the dealer has it for audition.

(Thanks for sharing, I had never heard Aurora before, pretty good! )

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #27,627 of 28,989
The original HD800 is a tough lion to tame I guess, but I had a system in place before I bought it, so it was the final piece. I can say that imo, if you get it a nice warm, transparent source it’ll sing beautifully. It certainly does for my unmodded one. I kinda feel bad because I feel if people could hear it on my system or one similar they’d look at it in a completely different way imo.

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #27,628 of 28,989
The original HD800 is a tough lion to tame I guess, but I had a system in place before I bought it, so it was the final piece. I can say that imo, if you get it a nice warm, transparent source it’ll sing beautifully. It certainly does for my unmodded one. I kinda feel bad because I feel if people could hear it on my system or one similar they’d look at it in a completely different way imo.

And, what is your system, may I ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back