The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #26,281 of 28,989
Hey Guys, I’ve decided to let my HD800/Draug 2 Single Ended/4 Pin Balanced, ANAX Mod go, checking interest on the Thread.

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #26,283 of 28,989
Nov 14, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #26,285 of 28,989
I am considering buying a used Utopia, or Audeze i4, I was blown away by the iSine 20 with the V2 Cipher Cable.

i4 would be an amazing portable solution but I still thought that HD800 is necessary for desktop setup and critical listening session :nerd:

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #26,286 of 28,989
I couldn't imagine living without HD800. It remains the desktop standard for classical music. You could name others — SR009, MDR-R10 (bass light), K1000, MySphere, k812, t1, orpheus, HE-6, HE-1000 — but if you plot SQ against ease of acquisition (availability and non-insane price) it's not even close. I love the K700 series and indeed HD600, but for critical listening of orchestral music, they are great, albeit of a clearly inferior class.

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #26,287 of 28,989
I love them, but too be honest I’ve grown bored with them, I’ll probabl be back.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #26,288 of 28,989
Welp I finally did it... I installed the SDR Mod today... didn't do the peeling but did take the time to unscrew the mesh and seperate it from the Driver unit. It wasn't as fragile as I thought, though I'm used to working with sensitive electronics so I guess I have a pretty delicate touch... I'm a bit more forceful peeling stuff and wouldn't trust me self not to stab a hole into something <.< I was also able to get a more even install with the Mesh Membrane separated from the driver! I even measured how much of the insert stuck out the back

Anyways, I'm a BIG fan! One thing I noticed in the measurements people posted were in addition to the lessening of that 6k peak the mid bass hump was slightly tapered... it was the rather marginal flattening of that mid bass peak I noticed first! The Sub Bass did indeed pop out JUST a smidge more. the SDR mod didn't boost anything but lessened enough to result in the perception of more low bass! Really diggin these, plus I can blast some Metallica at a responsible 88.6 average dBs now ^^ before it was a bit more splashy than I liked!

Oh! I read else where that the HD 800 is kinda... slow? Which sounds crazy and I didn't really buy into that... but I've been spending some time with some Grado Flagships and honestly... after 5 days with only the PS2KE... when I switched back to the HD 800 I immediately noticed how much warmer it is! An that was 100% Stock it wasn't nearly as "fast" as the PS2KE. That took me by surprise actually! An it's not to say that the HD 800 is "slow" but... my HE 4 has a tenancy to be TOO quick, hyper realistic... OVER exxagerted too aggressive too little decay... ect... ect... and the HD 800 doesn't suffer from that... it's not a SUPER FAST headphone, especially with the SDR mod it more often than not feels just right!

I'm impressed with how it does Metal now too! I'm hearing Metallica in a way that's new to me! There's a lot of detail my HE 4 didn't quite get... and the HD 800 doesn't lack any of the ENERGY and EXCITEMENT and DRIVE that I love about Cliff Era Metallica! Yea the PS2KE and HE 4 are FASTER and MORE AGGRESSIVE... but honestly they can be a bit over bearing some times and still gloss over some of the deepest micro detail, all that energy and emphasis on the attack and leading edge... leaves a little detail behind

@Sorrodje excellent work with this my friend! Makes a noticeable improvement, super happy to have it ^^ love the little thingies it mailed in too!!!

Non the less, I'm perfectly content with the sound as is. I see no reason to change it further, maybe it's laziness on my part but the SDR tilts in just enough in the direction I wanted that I don't care to spend any more time modding or tinkering... if I wanted to tinker I'd buy an HE 6 or maybe the re released HE 5 that just came out. Other wise I think I'm good ^^

And... I have to say the HD 800 is still an excellent contender! Not to down play other brands but given the price even new it shines brightly against price'r competitors

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #26,289 of 28,989
AWESOME post, my friend! keep that ENERGY and EXCITEMENT coming...this thread has been starting to feel DEAD and could use some FASTER and MORE AGGRESSIVE impressions about this KING of dynamics!!

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #26,290 of 28,989
AWESOME post, my friend! keep that ENERGY and EXCITEMENT coming...this thread has been starting to feel DEAD and could use some FASTER and MORE AGGRESSIVE impressions about this KING of dynamics!!

Well I guess that's true especially with a bunch of new headphones exploding the market recently. But I can never get enough with my HD800. It's just a must to have this in collection :dt880smile:

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #26,291 of 28,989
HD800 can still hang with the very best.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #26,292 of 28,989
HD800 can still hang with the very best.

I agree there. One can always have many complement HPs along with HD 800 but the 800 is there to stay.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #26,293 of 28,989
@Sorrodje excellent work with this my friend! Makes a noticeable improvement, super happy to have it ^^ love the little thingies it mailed in too!!!

You're welcome. :)

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #26,294 of 28,989
I agree there. One can always have many compliment Hp along with HD 800 but the 800 is there to stay.

I certainly think so! I don't know that I'll ever get it to those "crazy" levels that some of the more inventive modders reach. No time, but for now it's exactly what I wanted/needed it to be! Curious to explore more of the "flagship" market. An I think the HD 800 will not only continue to be a real pleasure to listen to, but also serve as an excellent tool to examine gear with. I need an upgrade to my Dac and my Amps and just the resolve and imaging of the HD 800 alone make it a more valuable asset for demoing gear especially with that 6k peak removed! Though all in all I'm happy to say the gear I've amassed continues to serve me well ^^ my little HE 4 did good for the time I had it, though it's nice to finally have a modded HD 800!

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #26,295 of 28,989
In all of my TotL can listening, only a very few come close. And if 'properly' setup, fewer still can match the overall SQ that 800's can deliver.
And yeah they need to be tweaked along with the rest of the system, but they can just keep scaling.
Much to my delight I might add.

And granted I haven't heard any of the Focals that are well settled in, especially the utopia's (beryllium is notorious), even so, to be in this group of cans and having the staying power to hold their own for lo these many years, is a statement in and of itself.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back