The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by valentinhogea, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Mshenay Contributor
    Well there are two methods for insertion, scrapping/peeling or un screwing... typically if there are screws I'd prefer to unscrew them... but if your not careful you can destroy the wires connecting your driver, on the flipside if your not careful with your peeling you can damage the film... but every video I've seen that stuff looks pretty gummy so I might just go the peeling route

2. johnjen
    Having spent a good deal of time taking the 800's apart, I'd recommend NOT removing the drivers from their mounting frame for this mod. It would increase the chance of damage to a driver and they are only sold in (matched) pairs ($270+).

And really access to the mesh screen is really only from the surface anyway. And leaving them in the mounting frame gives you an much more workable platform to perform the mod.

My 2¢

JJ

bearFNF likes this.
  3. twiceboss
    Where is dekoni?....

4. Mshenay Contributor
    Yea I'm starting to see the benefit of just peeling it, I don't have the right tools to un mount it nor can I repair it if I destroy them... just need to let my thumbnail gain a little extra mass and it'll be ready for some delicate peeling

5. FiGuY1017
    Hello everyone just joined the club. I already had a system built for them and my 560's. ipod touch-cck-Hiface2-benchmark bnc cable -Dac19-Airist Audio Heron 5. Wow is all I can say. No need for me to mod this baby,sounds incredible!

MTMECraig likes this.
  6. twiceboss
    Heron 5 is incredibly good with hd800. Dont forget to put Loki between it. And turn the second and third knobs to three pm ish

FiGuY1017 likes this.
  7. connieflyer
    I was wondering if you had a chance to compare this amp with a Schiit Gungnir multi=bit? I thought your review was very thorough and interesting. I am using a Feliks Euforia headphone amp with Gec 6as7g tubes Psvane 6sn7 drivers. I would be interested in this to drive my 800 but don't want to have the dac's expense. I missed the HDva600, but this tube amp is tops.

8. Hansotek
    I haven't, but I would imagine the notes would be relatively similar to the notes I offered on DAC-19, but with less gooeyness/warmth and a little less impact, but a more shapely soundstage, more neutrality and a little bit better definition in the height and depth layering. But again, that is just my best guess based on my experience with the two DACs, so take it with a grain of salt. If anybody has more direct experience with the combo, I'd love to hear about it as well!

connieflyer likes this.
  9. Shetzu
    Heron 5 was always good with the HD800. I must say thats a good combo for a great SQ.

Wildcatsare1, twiceboss and FiGuY1017 like this.
  10. Shetzu
    I agree to all above. I too never opened or dismantled my Hp. Just slowly peeled the net mesh half way and inserted the SD felt pads inside and followed the instructions as posted on youtube. Simple.

11. SilverEars
    Heard the 800 out of the HDV820, and it sounded very clean and tight. I think the best I've heard of the 800 from it, and to the point of wanting the setup.

MTMECraig likes this.
  12. SilverEars
    To be specific, it was the amp I heard of the HDV820 from a different DAC output fed to it.

I wasn't so into the headphone mod. I'd rather put up with peaky treble on certain tracks/passages as it doesn't sound right with the mod to my ears.

Focal Utopia doesn't have the peaky treble, but I can say that HD800 can technically sound better after hearing it out of this setup. I think the speed and the tightness of HD800 drivers just seems better in how clean it sounds. HD800 has that electrostat like capability in speed and transients, but the treble at times... Probably the fastest dynamic driver out there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  13. FiGuY1017
    Delete

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  14. FiGuY1017
    Screenshot_2017-11-13-07-42-42.png

15. FLTWS
    upload_2017-11-13_9-14-44.png

Very similar

FiGuY1017 likes this.