The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #2,582 of 28,989
Thanks! I'm probably over-thinking the rest of the setup after reading through hundreds of posts.  I'll start off with the HD800 and the Schiit Stack and work with the tubes I have.  Now it's just the wait for the HD700 & HE500 to sell.
Quote:

If the sound of the HD800 through your current rig is what made you want it in the first place, why not just stay with the rig you have?  There's no guarantee than anything different will sound any better you than your current set up.  Keep the amp and upgrade your source if you are itching to do something new.  But if you found an amp that synergizes well with the HD800, stick with it.  I guess it is anathema on boards like this to advise NOT to upgrade or change things.  But I think you should always stick with what you like.  Especially if the HD800 was a revelation on your very own rig...  Seems like a perfect situation to me. 

May 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,583 of 28,989
Quote:
@Solude, would you say the ringing from the LCD3 could be an issue due to resonance off the grills?

I wouldn't hazard a guess.  Simply don't know, so will only say that they ring while the LCD-2 does not or at least much less despite the similar shape and materials...

May 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #2,584 of 28,989
Quote:
I just spent the past few days going through this thread.  Like some, I dismissed the HD800 as lifeless and lacking in bass.  There was a HeadFi meet last week in Toronto and I had a chance to audition the HD800 through my Bifrost/Lyr.  I was totally blown away. Smooth as silk, great bass and sweet, sweet mids and highs. It just sounded right to me.

I currently have the HD700 and HE500.  Believe it or not, there was more bass out of the HD700 but it was more controlled and tighter on the HD800.  They both just smoked the HE500 for bass.  After spending some time with the HD800, the treble peak on the HD700 became more  apparent and even in the short time I auditioned the HD800, I realized that this is where I want to go. After hearing the HD800, the HD700 are starting to grate on me.

So, at this point, both my HD700 and HE500 are up for sale.  I'm thinking I may still want to keep the HE500 but in the end, I really think I'm a one headphone kind of guy. Plus, if I sell both, that should cover the cost of the HD800 and I come out even. I'll see how the sales go.

Now, my current dilemma.  I was really pleased with the sound of the HD800 out of my Schiit stack. Running Amperex Orange Globes in the Lyr and also have the Amperex PQ amongst other tubes. I have the Bifrost Uber board coming in so that should ramp up my source for a while.  What I've read so far is that a lot of people are not so impressed with the HD800 and the Bifrost/Lyr.  For the foreseeable near future, this is what I'll have to live with.  On the other hand, I have a DLIII in my main AV system that I could use. I'm also considering the Woo WA7 down the road but another option would be to use my DLIII (optical in from a MacMini) and go the V200 route. 

In the short term, I'm pretty sure that I'll be joining the HD800 crowd.  I simply like the Sennheiser house sound. Been through the HD600, HD650 and now the HD700. Would the Schiit stack be an OK starting point?  I really can't see myself spending $2K+ upgrading my source/amp but utilizing what I have and moving some stuff around,  I can see myself investing another $1K down the road.
Lots to consider. Thoughts?

I've got the same Schiit stack and OG tubes. I totally agree with olor1ns observations above, except I don't have the Lorenz tubes.  The HD800s sound good out of the Schiit stack, and for best overall clarity best out of the Burson Conductor.  But for best bass impact my LD MKIV/SE with Voskhod driver tubes is truly remarkable.

I also got my HD800s for $1100 as refurbs from Crutchfield, no complaints, 9/10, no chips but Sharpie at the ready.

May 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #2,586 of 28,989
Quote:
I just spent the past few days going through this thread.  Like some, I dismissed the HD800 as lifeless and lacking in bass.  There was a HeadFi meet last week in Toronto and I had a chance to audition the HD800 through my Bifrost/Lyr.  I was totally blown away. Smooth as silk, great bass and sweet, sweet mids and highs. It just sounded right to me.

I currently have the HD700 and HE500.  Believe it or not, there was more bass out of the HD700 but it was more controlled and tighter on the HD800.  They both just smoked the HE500 for bass.  After spending some time with the HD800, the treble peak on the HD700 became more  apparent and even in the short time I auditioned the HD800, I realized that this is where I want to go. After hearing the HD800, the HD700 are starting to grate on me.

So, at this point, both my HD700 and HE500 are up for sale.  I'm thinking I may still want to keep the HE500 but in the end, I really think I'm a one headphone kind of guy. Plus, if I sell both, that should cover the cost of the HD800 and I come out even. I'll see how the sales go.

Now, my current dilemma.  I was really pleased with the sound of the HD800 out of my Schiit stack. Running Amperex Orange Globes in the Lyr and also have the Amperex PQ amongst other tubes. I have the Bifrost Uber board coming in so that should ramp up my source for a while.  What I've read so far is that a lot of people are not so impressed with the HD800 and the Bifrost/Lyr.  For the foreseeable near future, this is what I'll have to live with.  On the other hand, I have a DLIII in my main AV system that I could use. I'm also considering the Woo WA7 down the road but another option would be to use my DLIII (optical in from a MacMini) and go the V200 route. 

In the short term, I'm pretty sure that I'll be joining the HD800 crowd.  I simply like the Sennheiser house sound. Been through the HD600, HD650 and now the HD700. Would the Schiit stack be an OK starting point?  I really can't see myself spending $2K+ upgrading my source/amp but utilizing what I have and moving some stuff around,  I can see myself investing another $1K down the road.
Lots to consider. Thoughts?

No surprise with your journey, MV....At $1k I love the Decware CSP2+. Awesome synergy with the HD800's (and HD650's)

May 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #2,587 of 28,989
Quote:
Quote:
I bought both my HD800 and HD650 "pre-chipped".I didn't care to much and saved some $$$.

Makes sense to me my friend. 

Though I feel like I'm missing out... Might custom chip mine! 
size]

Just like the Guitar manufacturers...Road Worn Headphones!  
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2,588 of 28,989
Quote:
Has anyone tried the hd800 with the icon audio hp8 mk2

I have and it's currently my main headphone rig. To keep it short, I absolutely love it and can't understand why the amp isn't more appreciated here on Headfi. It's a superb combination with the HD800 and you can forget any concerns about the headphone's alleged weaknesses once you have this pairing. To put it in context I preferred it to the v200 for the HD800 by a significant margin. Check out Project86's review. My own review is nearly finished too - I'll try and post it this week.

May 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,589 of 28,989
There is the High End fair in Munich right now, and a guy on a German forum just posted he measured the output impedance of the HDVD800 with Prism Sound dScope III and it is 43Ohms. He also talked to a Sennheiser Produkt Manager and he confirmed that they started with 10 Ohms but after many blind Sound Tests they ended at 43 Ohm.

May 11, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2,590 of 28,989
Thanks.  Actually, a friend of mine has one and offered to lend it to me at any time.  Once I get the HD800 and have it broken in on my system, I'll take him up on the offer.
Quote:

No surprise with your journey, MV....At $1k I love the Decware CSP2+. Awesome synergy with the HD800's (and HD650's)

May 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,591 of 28,989
Quote:
Thanks.  Actually, a friend of mine has one and offered to lend it to me at any time.  Once I get the HD800 and have it broken in on my system, I'll take him up on the offer.
Quote:

Nice!

May 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #2,592 of 28,989
Aha sorry MickeyVee...a HD700 and HE500 is definately worth a HD800 anyway.  When you end up getting them let me know.  I did the Anax mod on mine and it really takes them to another level.  I have a bunch of leftover materials if you want.

May 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #2,594 of 28,989
I found the foam at Michaels no problem.  I used the 2.0 mm Creatology foam with the adhesive backing already attached.  I bought the shelf liner at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  I honestly think the HD800 become more resolving and detailed when the excessive treble is removed with the mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back