The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2,551 of 28,992
Quote:
I bought both my HD800 and HD650 "pre-chipped".I didn't care to much and saved some $$$.

Makes sense to me my friend. 

Though I feel like I'm missing out... Might custom chip mine! 
size]

May 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,552 of 28,992
Quote:
its called oil base silver sharpie and if you mess it up use nail polish to take it off
bigsmile_face.gif

oooh thats a good idea, i've used black sharpie before to cover up grill scratches on my grados, never though of silver.

Quote:
I bought both my HD800 and HD650 "pre-chipped".I didn't care to much and saved some $$$.

pre-chipped!! L0L!@!@!@!

May 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,553 of 28,992
Wouldnt it be easy to paint a layer of clear enamel over the paint to help protect it?

Mine are still perfect in spite of being transported to a couple meets. Im not rough with them but i dont baby them either. Im not worried about them getting a little patina eventually - it just means they are loved.

May 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2,554 of 28,992
IIRC there was a sale a while back for the SA5k going for some price around that. However if the SA5k at going for $700 I would just save a bit more and buy a used HD800. They usually go in the 1k-1,1k range however that does assume that you have a good setup already for the HD800.

crutchfield.com has them refurbished for 1.1k. Same money + warranty. Don't quote me on that. :p

May 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,555 of 28,992
Quote:
You a single man Frank...?  
size]

It seems some folk have issues with chipping and some don't. Is there any pattern? For instance, are newer models showing less chipping perhaps? Has anyone in the 20xxx serial # have chips? 

Pure speculation. I haven't chipped mine yet but maybe its an eroding reaction that comes with age. 

Mine scratched, but it was because I sat them in a in a bag on top of my dac and amp while in the car. They slipped over the edge at a light and scrached a bit on the back because of that. At least it was after that I noticed they were lightly scratched down to the black plastic under the paint. I've been thinking silver sharpie to fix as well... I use black sharpie on cheap furniture all the time. Just mark and then rub it in to blend.

May 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,557 of 28,992
Quote:
yeah well **** happens and **** breaks....

any headphone should be able to withstand handling especially for the prices we pay. and they shouldn't just break on you if you accidentally drop them. 

right now if i dropped my headphones by accident, this is what i feel would happen.

hd 800s would shatter and break where the cups move.
lcd-2's wood would crack
he-500's cheap plastic would crack/connector would break.
T1's frame would be bent up, the metal on the frame isn't as solid as one might think.

all my old mid-fi's feel more durable than these flagships and thats messed up. pro 900, hd 650, k701, sr325, rs1, even my dt 990s all felt much more sturdy and durable. 

If you drop your stuff, you know the value. Materials which are acoustically correct are used in top tier products. Sound comes first.  If dropped your Stax, well... be prepared to cry.  While your right life does happen. But after a certain tier of product you are expected to be mature enough to own it.

Part of it I think is in our backgrounds. If you grew up without someone to show you how to respect your own property, that could have a lot to do with it. Ever watch some people handle LPs or even CDs poorly? I've never touched the surface of an LP with a finger tip... after my brother showed me why it was a bad idea.  That, and they were his LPs, his rules. Same goes for CDs, you should never touch the surface. Don't bend the spine of your pocket books.... etc.

My 4yr old mimics my care and handling of his CDs already.  I'm right proud of him.  So, I got him an iPad and he's learned to handle it with great care and responsibility. If these things break under his care, I know it won't be out of neglect.

I just feel there is a certain level of care that is part of the entry fee on top tier items. That likely won't change.

May 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2,558 of 28,992
I've always learned to respect my own stuff because I've never owned a credit card. :wink: Hard earned cash for everything. REALLY sucked when I laid down my brand new GSXR 600 with in the first month because of my own stupidity...
mad.gif

-Daniel

May 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2,559 of 28,992
Quote:
No tape on box, cable is connected.  Might be a indication when you go to register it with Sennheiser.

Maybe try a reputable vendor so there is no doubt?

Register it with who now? I tried, and I found absolutely no reference for this process. Nothing in the insert materials or website for this purpose.

May 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2,560 of 28,992
May 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,561 of 28,992
Quote:
http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/service-support/services/register-your-product

Just follow the online process with your serial number and where you bought them from :)

Yep, that where I did it.  That is also how I got my FR graph.  They also have an email address for correction that comes in the confirmation email (services@sennheiser.com)

This was also on that email:
Important note: Please keep this e-mail carefully, because it confirms your
claim for a warranty period of 2 years after date of purchase. We
recommend to print it out and keep it with your proof of purchase.

May 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #2,562 of 28,992
looks like there is a pair of hd800's going for less than 700 euro on the sale forum - madness!

May 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #2,563 of 28,992
Quote:
looks like there is a pair of hd800's going for less than 700 euro on the sale forum - madness!

That is a very good price. Why selling pray tell?? oh, and are they chipped :wink: 

May 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2,564 of 28,992
Quote:
YMMV but I got a refurb senn recently and it was not satisfactory - showed signs of significant use  and was not cleaned up sufficiently.  

ULUL

Have you tried to return it and get a replacement (they have a great return policy!)?  I got my refurb. HD800 thru Crutchfield; excellent shape (no paint chip), looked like new.  I'm thinking get a second pair from them soon.   

May 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2,565 of 28,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back