The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #25,591 of 28,989
As others have said, the hd800 is a very durable product. Make that the cup adjustment slides well and stays in place once you've fit it for your head size. Pads and headband are not cheap, so if those parts need replacement be sure to take that into account. Also check the cable closely to be sure that it doesn't have any breaks or cuts. The cable would be costly to replace as well. 

Otherwise, for the right price it's definitely worth picking up used. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #25,592 of 28,989
  I came across someone in my area selling their HD 800 for $600.00 Canadian. I was thinking about purchasing them but they are over 2 years old and is missing the box and accessories that came with it. The only thing it comes with it just the headphones and the cables. Should I still pick these up or should I save up and get a new pair. The owner claims they are in brand new condition as they were hardly used. The serial number on them is 18xxx.

Thoughts?

Thanks

$600 Canadian is about $450 US if my calculation is correct which would certainly be a good deal in like new condition.

New HD800 S/Ns are above 45xxx now, some report the new ones sounding different than the older; give them a try and If you like what you hear go for it.

The HD800 comes with a SE cable and a fancy box so you would not be missing much in that department; included instruction can be had in pdf from Sennheiser.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #25,595 of 28,989
Thanks @eeagle
  $600 Canadian is about $450 US if my calculation is correct which would certainly be a good deal in like new condition.

New HD800 S/Ns are above 45xxx now, some report the new ones sounding different than the older; give them a try and If you like what you hear go for it.

The HD800 comes with a SE cable and a fancy box so you would not be missing much in that department; included instruction can be had in pdf from Sennheiser.

Thanks! I should let you guys know that I've just recently gotten into the audiophile community so I'm still pretty new with all this. Forgive me if this is a stupid question but aside from the cable that it should come with, what is the SE cable?

Thanks

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #25,596 of 28,989
SE=Single Ended vs Balance XLR.  In other words std 1/4" phone plug/

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #25,597 of 28,989
  I'm going to inspect everything tomorrow to make sure nothing is loose and do a sound test before I buy them from him. Just wondering if it's a good deal considering there's no warranty and no box.

Thanks

It's a no brainer.  You're getting a TOTL headphone for dirt cheap.  Unless it's falling apart, make the deal.

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #25,598 of 28,989
  I came across someone in my area selling their HD 800 for $600.00 Canadian. I was thinking about purchasing them but they are over 2 years old and is missing the box and accessories that came with it. The only thing it comes with it just the headphones and the cables. Should I still pick these up or should I save up and get a new pair. The owner claims they are in brand new condition as they were hardly used. The serial number on them is 18xxx.

Thoughts?

Thanks

unless you are spending top dollar (like 850 to 900 usd) for a pair that someone is claiming is mint, there is no reason to hesitate based on the box. and there were no accessories so ALL you are missing is the box and paprework. way back when those were sold there wasn't much paperwork either. now there's a booklet AND a thumb drive (containing the graph from sennheiser from the test on the pair at hand).   

that is a KILLER price. where are you located?

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #25,599 of 28,989
@analog'd I'm in Alberta, Canada. I ended up picking them up today, I couldn't wait. I tried them out on his set up and they sounded like god was whispering into my ears sweet melodies of lucky charms and rainbows. Okay I over-exaggerated haha but they did sound REALLY good.

@MattTCG Everything checked out fine except one thing. There is a tiny creaking noise when I rotate the right ear cup at the hinge. It sounds almost like there is a spring loose or something which should be a relatively easy fix. There was also a tiny mark on the top left ear cup but otherwise, it's in at least 7.5 condition out of 10. Headband adjustments were perfectly fine and ear pads looked almost brand new. Cable had no rips, tears or frays.

Any idea about the creaking in the right ear cup though? Is that something common or is that something that I just need to take to a repair shop to get looked at? I could unscrew it myself but it being what it is, I don't know if I trust myself to take even the headband apart!

Thanks!

Also any amp recommendations would be greatly appreciated as right now I only have a Fiio E17K and a JDS Labs O2. I was thinking about getting the Schiit Magni 2 Uber with the Modi 2 Multibit.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #25,601 of 28,989
Congrats!  I've heard about the creaking thing, happened to a few people.  Seems like a minor issue on such a great deal.

Now you have to get the right DAC/amp.  You can't go wrong with the Modi multibit, a $250 DAC that handily competes with $1K - $2K DACs, and the HD800 loves all that resolution and natural smooth tonality.  Amps are all over the map but it's best not to get anything too bright.  The HD800 seems to love tubes, but SS is great as well if you can find a smooth one that doesn't smear detail.  Alot of the Schiit amps are really amazing deals.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #25,603 of 28,989
@Phillay

You can watch the video at the end of the article I'll link here. I've never had any creaking noise coming from the hd800 nor heard of any. They are incredibly precision crafted and usually don't have any mechanical issues. Be very careful working around the driver if you decide to do any tweaks.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response-page-2#CY6R1KjqjVvLRSMv.97

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #25,604 of 28,989
  @analog'd I'm in Alberta, Canada. I ended up picking them up today, I couldn't wait. I tried them out on his set up and they sounded like god was whispering into my ears sweet melodies of lucky charms and rainbows. Okay I over-exaggerated haha but they did sound REALLY good.

@MattTCG Everything checked out fine except one thing. There is a tiny creaking noise when I rotate the right ear cup at the hinge. It sounds almost like there is a spring loose or something which should be a relatively easy fix. There was also a tiny mark on the top left ear cup but otherwise, it's in at least 7.5 condition out of 10. Headband adjustments were perfectly fine and ear pads looked almost brand new. Cable had no rips, tears or frays.

Any idea about the creaking in the right ear cup though? Is that something common or is that something that I just need to take to a repair shop to get looked at? I could unscrew it myself but it being what it is, I don't know if I trust myself to take even the headband apart!

Thanks!

Also any amp recommendations would be greatly appreciated as right now I only have a Fiio E17K and a JDS Labs O2. I was thinking about getting the Schiit Magni 2 Uber with the Modi 2 Multibit.

ok. now that we know you love them, they deserve a box. i have an extra although it's not mint by any means. scuffed but intact and waay better than not having one.   it's yours if you want it. you just have to agree to pay to have it sent to you from massachusetts. i will try to get a quote for you on what that would cost. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back