The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #25,606 of 28,989
regarding the creak: I would call Sennheiser (in usa they are in ct, or they were). they may very well have a fix, or at least be able to fix for you. at the price you got them i think it'd be worth it even were you to have to ship it to them. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #25,607 of 28,989
  ^^ Now that's pretty gracious there.

many people have helped me along the way in my audiophoolish pursuits. a lot of this goes on among us. cause we all so cool... (hah!) :)

i got a story: 
i used to run a friend's record shop for him on sundays. it was a blast. one day i'm playin' pet sounds or something (i know it was beach boys) and a guy comes up to the counter and starts a conversation. said he liked my taste in music. we're talkin, and i mention i'm a headphone guy now as my kids are little(this is 25 years ago) and i can't power up the speaks too much. he asks about gear. i tell him i just got a melos headphone amp that is supposed to sound great but that it sucks. he says "hmmm".

the guy comes back in the next sunday, gives me a small box and says, "this is what yer melos needs. also it should change yer life".

a gift. from a stranger. it contained a very fine condition old bugle boy tube!!! needless to say, he was right on both counts. replaced the hateful sovtek piece of **** that they shipped them with, let the bugle boy warm up for 10 minutes, and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

this guy buys and sells a lotta gear in his own phoolishness. has like a dozen different audiophile rigs set up around his huge basement. waay into analog. i still can't get him to give high rez from computers a try, though he's been one of my best friends for a quarter century. his gift taught me alot about passing it on.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #25,608 of 28,989
  ok. now that we know you love them, they deserve a box. i have an extra although it's not mint by any means. scuffed but intact and waay better than not having one.   it's yours if you want it. you just have to agree to pay to have it sent to you from massachusetts. i will try to get a quote for you on what that would cost. 

Wow, that is extremely amazing and kind of you! I would absolutely be willing to pay to have it sent to me! I really appreciate that, thank you!

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #25,609 of 28,989
  many people have helped me along the way in my audiophoolish pursuits. a lot of this goes on among us. cause we all so cool... (hah!) :)

i got a story: 
i used to run a friend's record shop for him on sundays. it was a blast. one day i'm playin' pet sounds or something (i know it was beach boys) and a guy comes up to the counter and starts a conversation. said he liked my taste in music. we're talkin, and i mention i'm a headphone guy now as my kids are little(this is 25 years ago) and i can't power up the speaks too much. he asks about gear. i tell him i just got a melos headphone amp that is supposed to sound great but that it sucks. he says "hmmm".

the guy comes back in the next sunday, gives me a small box and says, "this is what yer melos needs. also it should change yer life".

a gift. from a stranger. it contained a very fine condition old bugle boy tube!!! needless to say, he was right on both counts. replaced the hateful sovtek piece of **** that they shipped them with, let the bugle boy warm up for 10 minutes, and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

this guy buys and sells a lotta gear in his own phoolishness. has like a dozen different audiophile rigs set up around his huge basement. waay into analog. i still can't get him to give high rez from computers a try, though he's been one of my best friends for a quarter century. his gift taught me alot about passing it on.

Wicked story! I'm still extremely new to the audiophile community and I've spent a lot of time combing through all the threads trying to soak up as much information as I can. Every time I've had a question, it seems like there's someone there willing to help answer the question. This is such an awesome community!

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #25,610 of 28,989
  @Phillay

You can watch the video at the end of the article I'll link here. I've never had any creaking noise coming from the hd800 nor heard of any. They are incredibly precision crafted and usually don't have any mechanical issues. Be very careful working around the driver if you decide to do any tweaks.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response-page-2#CY6R1KjqjVvLRSMv.97

Thank you for that video, you are truly a gentleman! That little spring was definitely what was making that creak! I didn't even know you could pop out the pin from the bottom! I popped the it off and the spring just fell out of the notch it's supposed to sit in. Set it again and the creak is GONE!

Thanks @MattTCG for that!!

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #25,611 of 28,989
Mar 8, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #25,612 of 28,989

ok. now that we know you love them, they deserve a box. i have an extra although it's not mint by any means. scuffed but intact and waay better than not having one.   it's yours if you want it. you just have to agree to pay to have it sent to you from massachusetts. i will try to get a quote for you on what that would cost. 

Wow, that is extremely amazing and kind of you! I would absolutely be willing to pay to have it sent to me! I really appreciate that, thank you!

k . i will get by the post office today or tomorrow and get the info (ie i will bring em and have them quote me).

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #25,615 of 28,989
  Philay, what other gear are you using?  dac headamp other sources etc?

Well I recently started getting into the audiophile world so I know I need to upgrade my amp/dac but this is my collection so far:

Headphones:

Hifiman HE400
Hifiman HE400i
AKG K7xx
Sony MDR 1000X
and of course the Sennheiser HD 800

Amp/Dac:

Fiio E17K
JDS Labs O2 Amp (no ODAC)

Source:

Tidal on HiFi streaming

I also have a LOT of cd's that I'll need to rip. Any good software recommendations for that?

Looking at upgrading my amp/dac next and then finally a good Hi-Res Audio Player.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #25,616 of 28,989
Originally Posted by Phillay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any good software recommendations for that?

Looking at upgrading my amp/dac next and then finally a good Hi-Res Audio Player.

Exact Audio Copy - Windows

XLD - Mac

Good decision on considering a dedicated player (unless you meant a portable player?). It will help everything down the chain.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #25,617 of 28,989
  Exact Audio Copy - Windows

XLD - Mac

Good decision on considering a dedicated player (unless you meant a portable player?). It will help everything down the chain.

I was meaning a portable player, but I was also thinking of using an old DVD player with optical out to the amp as an at home player. Any better recommendations?

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #25,619 of 28,989
  I was meaning a portable player, but I was also thinking of using an old DVD player with optical out to the amp as an at home player. Any better recommendations?

Depends on the budget. Not all digital transports are the same outputting the same file. For example, my Bryston BDP-1 blows away all my Marantz and Sony CD players and DVD players outputting via either optical or SPDIF.

BTW I had the same idea as you a few years back for my rig, but when I hear the BDP-1, it was quickly shot down.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #25,620 of 28,989
  Also, any good recommendations for an audio player for the Mac? I know there isn't a Foobar for Mac (or is there?)

Thanks

Audirvana Plus for local playback. Amarra SQ for streaming purposes like Youtube, Spotify, Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back