The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #23,461 of 29,010
  There is obviously some serious honeymooning effect going on with folks who just shelled out 4 grand for a headphone which looks like a race car body - oh yeah carbon fiber looks at that
rolleyes.gif
. They have to justify that expense. If you can and want to afford that, congrats!

I would be a little hesitant to jump on anything in the first weeks of release. If you read between the lines and consider the value of the HD800 and good amp vs a headphone alone for 4 grand that doesn't have a comparable sound stage presentation ... OK everybody has is own preference and priorities. I have a solid no go factor which is in-head localization. A  headphone at this price level not better or at least as good as the 5 or 6 year old HD800? Oh well, open your wallets, swipe your credit cards and jump on the latest greatest. Have fun and enjoy.
wink.gif

I really have no problem with people who can easily afford the "latest-and-greatest". I think it is stupid to want to deny others something simply because I can't afford it.

I love my HD800S. I haven't tried EQ, but my choice of upstream gear and extensive tube-rolling has given me hundreds of hours of music "magic" ))))

At some point, I might consider the Elear, but am in no hurry.I'm really a one-headphone kind of guy.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #23,462 of 29,010
Its description sounds a little like how some of the HE-6 nuts describe it with six different mods and a 5k power amp. If you can get a vintage amp for cheap, I'm curious to hear a bit more about how the two compare. This emphasis on dynamism, great tone throughout the FQ spectrum, and non-fatiguing highs seems to have HE6 written all over it. Like Focal, though, the soundstage would appear to fall short of HD800/K1000.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #23,463 of 29,010
There is obviously some serious honeymooning effect going on with folks who just shelled out 4 grand for a headphone which looks like a race car body - oh yeah carbon fiber looks at that:rolleyes: . They have to justify that expense. If you can and want to afford that, congrats!

I would be a little hesitant to jump on anything in the first weeks of release. If you read between the lines and consider the value of the HD800 and good amp vs a headphone alone for 4 grand that doesn't have a comparable sound stage presentation ... OK everybody has is own preference and priorities. I have a solid no go factor which is in-head localization. A  headphone at this price level not better or at least as good as the 5 or 6 year old HD800? Oh well, open your wallets, swipe your credit cards and jump on the latest greatest. Have fun and enjoy.:wink:

FWIW, I don't own the Utopia - so there's no honeymooning or justifying going on in those impressions.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #23,464 of 29,010
Its description sounds a little like how some of the HE-6 nuts describe it with six different mods and a 5k power amp. If you can get a vintage amp for cheap, I'm curious to hear a bit more about how the two compare. This emphasis on dynamism, great tone throughout the FQ spectrum, and non-fatiguing highs seems to have HE6 written all over it. Like Focal, though, the soundstage would appear to fall short of HD800/K1000.

Yeah, a maxed-out, well amped, good production model HE-6 is probably the best comparison for the Utopia.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #23,465 of 29,010
Yeah, a maxed-out, well amped, good production model HE-6 is probably the best comparison for the Utopia.

Have we figured out what the hell "quality watts" are for amping an HE-6? That thread scares me.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #23,467 of 29,010
  There is obviously some serious honeymooning effect going on with folks who just shelled out 4 grand for a headphone which looks like a race car body - oh yeah carbon fiber looks at that
rolleyes.gif
. They have to justify that expense. If you can and want to afford that, congrats!

I would be a little hesitant to jump on anything in the first weeks of release. If you read between the lines and consider the value of the HD800 and good amp vs a headphone alone for 4 grand that doesn't have a comparable sound stage presentation ... OK everybody has is own preference and priorities. I have a solid no go factor which is in-head localization. A  headphone at this price level not better or at least as good as the 5 or 6 year old HD800? Oh well, open your wallets, swipe your credit cards and jump on the latest greatest. Have fun and enjoy.
wink.gif

7 years old HD800!

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #23,469 of 29,010
Just wanted to mention I recently got my HD800 (a SD mod and a Vali 2 w/ extra tubes coming soon) and was blown away. Completely. But while the headphone driven straight from a media player was breathtaking...running it through Out of Your Head just elevated it to a level of realism and immersion that is stunning. While OOYH was great on my TH-X00s, there is no comparison to what it does on the HD800s. I don't want to come off as shamelessly promoing that software though, but its something that I think needs to be experienced if you have the HD800s on hand. I'd also highly recommend using Equalier APO and the Peace extension along with it to actively convert stereo to 7.1, it really completes the effect when listening from stereo recordings IMO.

Aug 30, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #23,470 of 29,010
Thought I would share this with you guys
normal_smile .gif
. So far I have been using the HD800 (classic) with no mods with a SS setup. I was happy with the sound as I never really had a treble issue but decided that adding some tubes in its path wouldn't hurt. I know getting a tube buffer is not optimal, but I really did not want to sell my HA-5000 amplifier since it is a really good amplifier with fantastic transparency, smoothness and space. 

I bought some 6SN7GTB Sylvania (Baldwin Organ/Piano) tubes and put them in the Yaqin CD3 buffer. First thing I checked after burning the unit in for some time, was if there was any humming or buzzing sound. It was dead quiet. Next thing was the volume, I have read reviews saying that for some people the volume increased but for me it was the same. 

Now my impression, I am pretty surprised actually. The tube buffer does not take away from the soundstage (actually you can say it is slightly more 3 dimensional) or airiness that I came to love from the HA-5000 and introduces a more harmonically rich and pleasing sound. Basically the fatigue after long listening sessions is decreased. Also the soaring highs are not excessively tamed and still sparkle nicely. Going back and forth (A/B) between with and without the buffer there are some trade offs (as always). The bass lacks the tightness and definition and is slightly more flabby. The hyper detailed sound presentation is tuned down. The unit needs to burn in until I can fully make a concise evaluation, but so this unit does a really good job. I would say the changes have been positive and I will keep it in my system. Here she is with the rest of the family.
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #23,471 of 29,010
  Thought I would share this with you guys
normal_smile .gif
. So far I have been using the HD800 (classic) with no mods with a SS setup. I was happy with the sound as I never really had a treble issue but decided that adding some tubes in its path wouldn't hurt. I know getting a tube buffer is not optimal, but I really did not want to sell my HA-5000 amplifier since it is a really good amplifier with fantastic transparency, smoothness and space. 

I bought some 6SN7GTB Sylvania (Baldwin Organ/Piano) tubes and put them in the Yaqin CD3 buffer. First thing I checked after burning the unit in for some time, was if there was any humming or buzzing sound. It was dead quiet. Next thing was the volume, I have read reviews saying that for some people the volume increased but for me it was the same. 

Now my impression, I am pretty surprised actually. The tube buffer does not take away from the soundstage (actually you can say it is slightly more 3 dimensional) or airiness that I came to love from the HA-5000 and introduces a more harmonically rich and pleasing sound. Basically the fatigue after long listening sessions is decreased. Also the soaring highs are not excessively tamed and still sparkle nicely. Going back and forth (A/B) between with and without the buffer there are some trade offs (as always). The bass lacks the tightness and definition and is slightly more flabby. The hyper detailed sound presentation is tuned down. The unit needs to burn in until I can fully make a concise evaluation, but so this unit does a really good job. I would say the changes have been positive and I will keep it in my system. Here she is with the rest of the family.
wink.gif

Very interesting. I have wondered how the Yaqin CD3 would work with a solid state amp.

Many tube amp owners (myself included) believe that tubes can "add" something that improves listening enjoyment without removing in any significant manner things like detail. Perhaps they even bring listening closer to a live performance.

Most tube amp owners don't seem to care why. I personally think it involves the addition of a judicious level of even-order harmonic distortion. Although I suppose tubes can affect the shape of the soundwave some - sort of hit or miss EQ.

I suspect the CD3 mates well with the HD800 because it is a very revealing headphone. I think other good headphones might also benefit from adding the CD3 to a solid state amp system.

You may now join the world of us crazy tube-rollers)))

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #23,472 of 29,010
  Very interesting. I have wondered how the Yaqin CD3 would work with a solid state amp.

Many tube amp owners (myself included) believe that tubes can "add" something that improves listening enjoyment without removing in any significant manner things like detail. Perhaps they even bring listening closer to a live performance.

Most tube amp owners don't seem to care why. I personally think it involves the addition of a judicious level of even-order harmonic distortion. Although I suppose tubes can affect the shape of the soundwave some - sort of hit or miss EQ.

I suspect the CD3 mates well with the HD800 because it is a very revealing headphone. I think other good headphones might also benefit from adding the CD3 to a solid state amp system.

You may now join the world of us crazy tube-rollers)))

Honestly, the Yaqin CD3 was not even on my radar but after buying new cables (copper) for the HD800's which I shortly returned since the soundstage was greatly reduced and I just couldn't justify the price difference compared to the original and a case could be made they sounded even worse. The stock cable on the HD800 is really good quality in my opinion. After, I just decided to give the Yaqin buffer a try and it was cheaper than the aftermarket cable 
blink.gif
, even with the added cost of new interconnects and tube upgrade. For now, I am really happy with the improvements. It is not night and day in terms of calming the sound down, they still are way more lively than the HD650's or other headphones with similar laid back sound signatures. The main positive for me is that the soundstage is massive and the airiness remains with a touch of harmonic richness that was not there without the buffer. I don't think it would hurt for someone to add this to their SS system especially with resolving and detailed headphones such as the HD800. Highly recommended and doesn't leave a hole in your wallet. 

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #23,473 of 29,010

Have we figured out what the hell "quality watts" are for amping an HE-6? That thread scares me.

Krell's power amps are a popular choice. I keep meaning to bring it to LA to listen on my late grandfather's vintage two-channel. I listened on someone's power amp (and Yggy) a few months ago, and even in stock form, it really opened up. I'm keeping Mjolnir as long as I can though. Maybe I'd dump it for a secondhand WA5, but that's about it. It's good enough, and I've spent enough.

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #23,475 of 29,010
I have HD 800S and LCD3 F and both are great sound with my Woo Audio WA5 with the TAT upgrade tubes. They are, however, very different sounds. I use the LCD3 for a more refined sound and the HD800S for more neutral (read here harsher) sound. The HD is certainly more open with a wider stage. What has made a huge difference for both are upgraded cables. The Artisan Silver -- Silver Dream for the L:CD3 and the Moon Audio Black V2 for the HD. The signals on both improved in resolution on both after a  burn in. I agree that it is not so much which is better when you get top this level of HP but what sound you like with which type of music!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back