The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #23,401 of 28,976
  ... That's where the SKELETON of the HD800 finally starts to walk around like it should and support the meat. That's where the HD800 shows why it's a special kind of headphone that stood the test of time. Afterwards it gets ugly with prices...

LOL, LOVE IT!

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #23,402 of 28,976
Hum...seems like the consensus is OTL is the way to go. I found a deal on a old (10+ years old...) OTL that used to retail at $350 and it does come with some cheap tubes. Its an option, but I'd like to hear what the m-stage can do relative to something like the vali 2 first.

Have you looked at the Bottlehead Crack it is OTL and it works well with the HD800 there is also has what’s called the Speedball upgrade which is a Camille Cascode Constant Current Source upgrade which ratchets up the performance level.

Bottlehead have recently changed the Cracks transformer there was originally two options when ordering either 120V or 240V but they have now changed to universal transformer which will can be configured for both voltages and have a promotion on and are selling of the last of the a 120V transformer versions off for $249 (only seven left) and you can add the Speedball for $125.

There are also a lot of well documented modifications which will let you dip a toe into summit-fi territory with the Crack.

Something to mull over perhaps.

http://bottlehead.com/product/120v-crack-pre-pack/

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #23,403 of 28,976
Thanks for all the responses! I really do want to get into OTL territory with the HD800 eventually, but I wanted to find a cheap under $150 option for now as I've been spending a lot already.

With the Vali 2, I might be willing to pay more for it since it does pair decenly with my TH-X00 and would let me sell my fiio k5. Currawong's video review also mentioned he had a preference for the vali 2 over the valhalla 2, which made me seriously consider it as an option in the first place.

I also noticed many of the inpressions of the ASL MG Head DT, the OTL I'd be able to get cheaply, in this thread came from Sorrodje. I'd be curious if he would consider it a good option over the Vali 2. The only thing that worries me about it is the age (10+ years old), and if it might break my headphones if a part fails from age.

Still very curious about the M-Stage, almost all the reviews of it say it is a great match for the HD800s on a budget.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #23,404 of 28,976
ahhhh the MG head. lovely old amp. that's a good find and allows you to use it  through OTL AND tranformer coupled mode :wink: .  Forget about other options right now. your MG head will do the trick until you'll listen to some other options and decide what suits the best to your tastes :) . Find a pair or Mullard EL84 and a good transparent 12AX7 ( siemens was my fav') .  We compared that amp to some well regarded contender ( Project Ember for example) and the Old MG head gave them a run for their money. 

I hear the DT/OTL 32 as well and it sounds very good.  not up to best offers though :wink:  . i think it belongs to the Bottlehead crack league . 

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #23,405 of 28,976
ahhhh the MG head. lovely old amp. that's a good find and allows you to use it  through OTL AND tranformer coupled mode :wink: .  Forget about other options right now. your MG head will do the trick until you'll listen to some other options and decide what suits the best to your tastes :) . Find a pair or Mullard EL84 and a good transparent 12AX7 ( siemens was my fav') .  We compared that amp to some well regarded contender ( Project Ember for example) and the Old MG head gave them a run for their money. 

I hear the DT/OTL 32 as well and it sounds very good.  not up to best offers though :wink:  . i think it belongs to the Bottlehead crack league . 

Well, the model I found was the mk I or II version so it doesn't have a transformer coupled mode. Still, I hear the OTL mode was more ideal for the 800 anyway. Sounds like its a great deal, perhaps worth risking it failing on me at some point from age. I'll have to find those tubes you mentioned though! So begins the tube fever.

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #23,406 of 28,976
I preferred the Transformer coupled mode :p

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #23,407 of 28,976
I preferred the Transformer coupled mode :p

Really? I forget where I heard the OTL of the DT head was better than the coupled mode. Did you feel OTL mode was that far behind coupled when you had it?

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #23,408 of 28,976
I always preferred my HD800 from Low Z outputs :wink: ...  OTL output is very high Z on the MG Head . It affects ( colors) the sound significantly and I much prefer more transparent gear :wink: 

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #23,409 of 28,976
I just need to throw my 2 cents in here. I run my HD800S off the FA Elise OTL and absolutely love it. One of the great advantages of an amp like the Elise is that it allows for extensive choices of tube combos from which the right combo or combos can be found that work miracles with a particular headphone.

I really don't have sufficient experience with high-end headphones (like the extensive experience I have with high-end 2-channel speaker systems over the years) to speak with authority but I strongly believe that I have successfully assembled a truly world class headphone system.

Edit and PS. I know I won't make any friends here by saying this, but the Elise runs circles around my Valhalla 2.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #23,410 of 28,976
  I always preferred my HD800 from Low Z outputs :wink: ...  OTL output is very high Z on the MG Head . It affects ( colors) the sound significantly and I much prefer more transparent gear :wink: 

Hum...guess that leaves me with the question of if a OTL only MG head would really still be a better option than the Vali 2 or M-Stage as far as the HD800 is concerned. You also have to consider that I plan on using this with Out of Your Head to emulate speaker-esque staging (if you haven't tried it out, it sounds amazing on just my TH-X00s but the HD800 is supposedly what it sounds the best on) so adding a heaping helping of tubey distortion/slower response might take away from the effect. That's why the M-stage is on my mind, supposedly it has a warm tube-ish signature to tame the highs but is a SS amp.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #23,411 of 28,976
Thanks for all the responses! I really do want to get into OTL territory with the HD800 eventually, but I wanted to find a cheap under $150 option for now as I've been spending a lot already.

With the Vali 2, I might be willing to pay more for it since it does pair decenly with my TH-X00 and would let me sell my fiio k5. Currawong's video review also mentioned he had a preference for the vali 2 over the valhalla 2, which made me seriously consider it as an option in the first place.

I also noticed many of the inpressions of the ASL MG Head DT, the OTL I'd be able to get cheaply, in this thread came from Sorrodje. I'd be curious if he would consider it a good option over the Vali 2. The only thing that worries me about it is the age (10+ years old), and if it might break my headphones if a part fails from age.

Still very curious about the M-Stage, almost all the reviews of it say it is a great match for the HD800s on a budget.

Hey as a Schiit owner and Crack owner. I HIGHLY recommend skipping the Vali 2 and moving to the Crack. I've listened to the HD800 through both the Vali 2 ( Borrowed from a friend ) and the Lyr 2 extensively.  Neither of these amps have what it takes to drive the HD800 well.  Don't get me wrong. They are great amps, I use the Lyr2 with my HE560's at work all day and it drives them wonderfully. But in my experience the Vali and the Lyr leave the HD 800 sounding anemic.  They lack bass, you will get the oft talked about sibilance, and the oft talked about veil.  

For the HD800 I use either the HDVA 600 ( very expensive ) or the Crack ( which is on sale 249 right now). While they are in totally different classes, the sound profile in terms of EQ is very similar.  I'm pretty sure if I'd have stuck with the Lyr 2 I'd have sold the HD800's - instead I bathe in their divinity. :)

Now I just gotta find somebody to loan me a Vallhalla 2 and a WA2. :wink:

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #23,412 of 28,976

I currently own the Crackatwoa and Torpedo III and built a crack in the past.
I'd recommend you to build a Torpedo III, you get summit-fi performance at mid-fi price. It just stumps the Crack in transients, dynamics, clarity, details, though a leaner sounding amp.

Also if you are interested I can sell you my crackatwoa at the price of the kit.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #23,413 of 28,976

Hey as a Schiit owner and Crack owner. I HIGHLY recommend skipping the Vali 2 and moving to the Crack. I've listened to the HD800 through both the Vali 2 ( Borrowed from a friend ) and the Lyr 2 extensively.  Neither of these amps have what it takes to drive the HD800 well.  Don't get me wrong. They are great amps, I use the Lyr2 with my HE560's at work all day and it drives them wonderfully. But in my experience the Vali and the Lyr leave the HD 800 sounding anemic.  They lack bass, you will get the oft talked about sibilance, and the oft talked about veil.  

For the HD800 I use either the HDVA 600 ( very expensive ) or the Crack ( which is on sale 249 right now). While they are in totally different classes, the sound profile in terms of EQ is very similar.  I'm pretty sure if I'd have stuck with the Lyr 2 I'd have sold the HD800's - instead I bathe in their divinity. :)

Now I just gotta find somebody to loan me a Vallhalla 2 and a WA2. :wink:

I too am contemplating to get a Bottlehead Crack. Has very good positive vibes for the HD800. And wow the cost is  achievable.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #23,414 of 28,976
Hum...guess that leaves me with the question of if a OTL only MG head would really still be a better option than the Vali 2 or M-Stage as far as the HD800 is concerned. You also have to consider that I plan on using this with Out of Your Head to emulate speaker-esque staging (if you haven't tried it out, it sounds amazing on just my TH-X00s but the HD800 is supposedly what it sounds the best on) so adding a heaping helping of tubey distortion/slower response might take away from the effect. That's why the M-stage is on my mind, supposedly it has a warm tube-ish signature to tame the highs but is a SS amp.

Honestly my choice would still go to the Vali 2. Easy to resell. Cheap tubes. Very good value.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #23,415 of 28,976

Users who are viewing this thread

Back