The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #23,371 of 28,989
Aug 19, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #23,372 of 28,989
  Guys I plan to buy a good amplifier for the Hd 800 so that the  6Khz shrill can be controlled. I have zeroed on 2 amps which I am closely watching and reading more about. Burson Solist MKII & Heron 5.h the 2nd amp is twice the cost of the first. My budget is upto USD 750-800. Can you suggest with your views and inputs. Thanks

I have the SL Mk2. No issues with the treble for me. I think if you're sensitive to that treble you should mod it, amps will not eliminate that.

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #23,373 of 28,989

I have the SL Mk2. No issues with the treble for me. I think if you're sensitive to that treble you should mod it, amps will not eliminate that.

I think you are dead on. For an amp to "tame" the spike, it would either have to have a frequency response that includes a mirror image dip compared to the spike (never going to happen) or depress all the frequency registers in the area of the spike (which is throwing the baby out with the bath water). I think someone who recommends a particular amp to tame the spike is saying more about his sensitivity (or lack thereof) to the spike than about the particular amp.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #23,374 of 28,989
  I think you are dead on. For an amp to "tame" the spike, it would either have to have a frequency response that includes a mirror image dip compared to the spike (never going to happen) or depress all the frequency registers in the area of the spike (which is throwing the baby out with the bath water). I think someone who recommends a particular amp to tame the spike is saying more about his sensitivity (or lack thereof) to the spike than about the particular amp.

Exactly, the amp will need to act like a feedback suppressor.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #23,375 of 28,989

Exactly, the amp will need to act like a feedback suppressor.

You're both ignoring the fact that there are warm, full, dark and cold, lean, bright sounding amps (with identical frequency responses). Pairing the HD 800 with an amp of the former category will work to some degree when it comes to compensate for the treble excess, although the 6-kHz hump effectively is still there. But that's how (euphonic) harmonic distortion can work. Of course this scenario is far from ideal for someone with a more puristic approach, since you are dependent on distortion and coloration and therefore sacrifice a lot of transparency. But apparently many people are satisfied with this solution.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #23,376 of 28,989

You're both ignoring the fact that there are warm, full, dark and cold, lean, bright sounding amps (with identical frequency responses). Pairing the HD 800 with an amp of the former category will work to some degree when it comes to compensate for the treble excess, although the 6-kHz hump effectively is still there. But that's how (euphonic) harmonic distortion can work. Of course this scenario is far from ideal for someone with a more puristic approach, since you are dependent on distortion and coloration and therefore sacrifice a lot of transparency. But apparently many people are satisfied with this solution.

Do you have some amp examples?

This must be what the HE-6 cats talk about when they vaguely go on about "quality watts". Getting a number of watts out of them was pulling teeth (answer: 80).

EDIT: for clarity, if the FR is identical and the sound is starkly different, the main reason is due to harmonic distortion, yes?

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #23,377 of 28,989

Do you have some amp examples?

This must be what the HE-6 cats talk about when they vaguely go on about "quality watts". Getting a number of watts out of them was pulling teeth (answer: 80).

EDIT: for clarity, if the FR is identical and the sound is starkly different, the main reason is due to harmonic distortion, yes?

Since I have always strived for neutral amps, I never had an amp for arbitrarily coloring the sound, although of course all amps do that to some degree. Currently I'm more than happy with a quasi ampless system – Chord's DAVE driving my dynamic headphones directly by its DAC output stage. I prefer to (dis)color my headphones via software equalizer, under full preservation of the original tranparency from the source.

Yes, harmonic distortion is the (main) reason for amplifier sound. Rob Watts has confimed this theory and with that he's in line with a few other audio experts. It's the only possible explanation anyway. But it shows that the «official», classic audio science heavily underrates the sensitivity of human ears.

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #23,378 of 28,989
It's typically 4th harmonic distortion that makes the HD800 sound really harsh, as it puts a major glare on the upper end of the vocal range when combined with the HD800's 6kHz spike. So an amp with comparatively low 4th (and also 5th) harmonic distortion will help the HD800 a lot. 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion can make the HD800 sound a bit fuller, almost like a room effect with a good set of speakers.

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #23,379 of 28,989
Anyone has experience with the SMSL P1 > M8 > VA2 stack on the HD800/800S?

I think the M8 is probably a pretty good DAC (Sabre ES9018), but not so sure about the VA2 amp (250mW @ 300ohm)

I can get the DAC+AMP and the P1 power source (and cables) for about EUR 470 ($530) shipped.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #23,380 of 28,989
It's typically 4th harmonic distortion that makes the HD800 sound really harsh, as it puts a major glare on the upper end of the vocal range when combined with the HD800's 6kHz spike. So an amp with comparatively low 4th (and also 5th) harmonic distortion will help the HD800 a lot. 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion can make the HD800 sound a bit fuller, almost like a room effect with a good set of speakers.

+1, a wire with gain and no distortion sounds really good driving the HD800
   ... when the source is not glaringly pushing the high frequency to suggest "high resolution".
With good recordings the HD800 is delightful with a GSX-Mk2
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #23,381 of 28,989
Any one having the experience and impressions of Ray Samuels Raptor with HD 800. Please let me know. Thanks

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #23,383 of 28,989
Try one of these (if you can find a well maintained specimen) with the HD-800 then tell me about treble spikes.

http://www.audio-extasa.eu/threshold-400a-power-amplifier-p-1337.html

(Ok, here, I'll write it first and save the nervosa brigade the trouble: "Oh Nooooo! It'll blow/fry/cook/nuke the headphone and obliterate your brain synapses!)

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #23,384 of 28,989
Had these painted they had gotten chipped...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back