The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 13, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #22,651 of 29,017
You may be waiting awhile, I think they handle their backorders with rolling production, so it's always a few weeks backordered.

May 13, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #22,652 of 29,017
  So my uni decided to give me an extra stipend for summer... for better or worse, this has let me start browsing amps that I couldn't consider before. 

I'm now deciding if I should keep my Black Widow order or consider if other options would be better. Thoughts? 
Possibilities: Stratus, ZDS 

If you are patient wheatfield ha2 or ecp l-2/dsha-1. If not bottlehead mainline, I see 4 built for sale, or ecp dsha-2.

May 14, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #22,654 of 29,017

So my uni decided to give me an extra stipend for summer... for better or worse, this has let me start browsing amps that I couldn't consider before. 

I'm now deciding if I should keep my Black Widow order or consider if other options would be better. Thoughts? 
Possibilities: Stratus, ZDS 

It seems like the weakest link in the chain, given either BW or LC, is the Modi 2 Uber. I'd upgrade to the Gumby.

Definitely upgrading to Gumby. I'm just waiting on Schiit atm... it's been backordered for 2-3 weeks so I'm just holding on til it's available 

The gumby will be worth the wait.   On amps you may want to consider the MJ2 with a couple of decent tubes.   The Mj2 is very versatile, powerful and pairs well with the HD800.    I was on the list for this run of Black Widows but pulled off because a Liquid Crimson became available.   There may be a spot available for a Black Widow on this run if someone else hasn't got on it.

May 14, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #22,655 of 29,017
Agree with you on the Crimson - it is, like the Black Widow, an amplifier not likely to be built again. However, I suspect the queue for the Black Widow is full, so your vacancy will likely already have a new tenant. If you are at all curious about its sound, there will be two at the Capital Summer meet. I heard Crimson at the Summer meet last year.

Back to @Xeculus, I heard Stratus at a meet earlier this year. It is, like all DNA amplifiers an excellent mate for the HD800. There is one currently for sale in the Head-Fi classifieds. But I did not walk away from the meet with want of another DNA amplifier. In fact I sold my DNA Sonnet and replaced it with my current MicroZOTL2, which I first heard at that meet. It is not as expensive, and is a great mate for dynamic headphones from Grado through HD800, from easy to drive planar to the somewhat more tricky HE-1000. They, at least the local vendor, offer a home trial. I recommend it highly, closer to half the cost of the Stratus.

May 14, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #22,656 of 29,017

The gumby will be worth the wait.   On amps you may want to consider the MJ2 with a couple of decent tubes.   The Mj2 is very versatile, powerful and pairs well with the HD800.    I was on the list for this run of Black Widows but pulled off because a Liquid Crimson became available.   They may be a spot available for a Black Widow on this run if someone else hasn't got on it.

I agree 100%.  My next amp will be the MJ2...

May 15, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #22,657 of 29,017
Dammit guys, looks like I'll put through the gumby order tonight. Y'all are a terrible influence 
tongue.gif

Quote:

Back to @Xeculus, I heard Stratus at a meet earlier this year. It is, like all DNA amplifiers an excellent mate for the HD800. There is one currently for sale in the Head-Fi classifieds. But I did not walk away from the meet with want of another DNA amplifier. In fact I sold my DNA Sonnet and replaced it with my current MicroZOTL2, which I first heard at that meet. It is not as expensive, and is a great mate for dynamic headphones from Grado through HD800, from easy to drive planar to the somewhat more tricky HE-1000. They, at least the local vendor, offer a home trial. I recommend it highly, closer to half the cost of the Stratus.

Since the ZOTL is in the same price bracket as the BW and near the LC, I'm even more eager to hear your impressions.

I'm also pretty interested in the ZDS, but I hear a lot of comments that BW falls just the slightest bit off in performance. And I wouldn't have to bother with tubes on the BW.
At this point, I think the Stratus is out of consideration. The turnaround time is just too long... I can't stick with this pile of schiit that long

May 15, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #22,658 of 29,017

Since the ZOTL is in the same price bracket as the BW and near the LC, I'm even more eager to hear your impressions.

I'm also pretty interested in the ZDS, but I hear a lot of comments that BW falls just the slightest bit off in performance. And I wouldn't have to bother with tubes on the BW.
At this point, I think the Stratus is out of consideration. The turnaround time is just too long... I can't stick with this pile of schiit that long

This still seems to be available:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/807896/dna-stratus-in-excellent-condition-with-upgraded-tubes

May 15, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #22,659 of 29,017
May 16, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #22,660 of 29,017

Thanks for the tip! I will say though that I'm a bit OCD about things I purchase. I'd always be willing to even pay extra for something that is new and mint. Bad mentality yes, but this mindset is even more strong for something that costs this much. 

You're running a stock hd800 right? I think BW might be better for you. Much warmer than ZDS

May 16, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #22,661 of 29,017
Where was that post which tells you the best amps for each price bracket for the HD800 again?

May 16, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #22,662 of 29,017
You might have a look at the microZOTL amp from Urban Audio. $1100.00. $599.00 for upgraded power supply. I feed mine with a BiFrost Multibit. It is my Best Favorite with my hd800 set.

May 17, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #22,663 of 29,017
Where was that post which tells you the best amps for each price bracket for the HD800 again?

I don't know if you mean that post I had from last year. I'd keep most of my recommendations, but with a couple of updates:

< $500 - Bottlehead Crack + Speedball

< $1,000 - Cavalli Liquid Carbon  (Also worth looking at: Schiit Mjolnir 2 and some good tubes)

< $2,000 - Questyle CMA800R (Also worth looking at: Linear Tube Audio microZOTL2.0) 

<$3,000 - DNA Stratus 

<$4,000 - Cavalli Liquid Gold

I need to spend some time with the HD800 and the ZOTL2 and Mjolnir 2 to really see where they fit. They are solid devices and quite popular choices with the HD800. They are worth considering, I just can't fully recommend them without hearing more.

Others to consider:

Apex Teton $5,000 - I have heard from several very reputable people that this is the best of the best. Haven't heard it personally.

Wells Audio Enigma $3,500 - I haven't heard this combo specifically either, but this amp is absolutely fantastic A+++. Need to hear with HD800 ASAP! 

Audio-GD Master 9 $1,550 - Decently good treble control & dynamics. Strong on technique, but lacks a little soul. Great at low volumes like 75dB RMS.

Cavalli Liquid Glass $3,500 - If you want to get crazy with tubes, this thing has dual plates and multiple settings so you can roll just about anything.

(2X) Questyle CMA800R in dual mono $4,000 - Double your amps, double your fun, right?

Cavalli Liquid Tungsten $???? - The best combo I have ever heard with the HD800. Amp is still in development. Release date is TBD.

May 17, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #22,664 of 29,017
Great list!  Haven't heard most of the stuff on that list, but do agree with the few that I have.

One thing to note is to consider the tube 'rollability' of each tube amp as well and how it may affect the cost.  For example, I can tell you that the total cost of my Stratus and what I'd consider to be optimal tubes for the HD800 is well over the $3000 range and while the stock Stratus sounds great, I can probably think of a few amps that I'd prefer over its stock form at around the same price.
I'm sure the same could be said about something like the Cavalli LG too since there are so many different tube options.

May 17, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #22,665 of 29,017

I don't know if you mean that post I had from last year. I'd keep most of my recommendations, but with a couple of updates:

< $500 - Bottlehead Crack + Speedball

< $1,000 - Cavalli Liquid Carbon  (Also worth looking at: Schiit Mjolnir 2 and some good tubes)

< $2,000 - Questyle CMA800R (Also worth looking at: Linear Tube Audio microZOTL2.0) 

<$3,000 - DNA Stratus 

<$4,000 - Cavalli Liquid Gold

I need to spend some time with the HD800 and the ZOTL2 and Mjolnir 2 to really see where they fit. They are solid devices and quite popular choices with the HD800. They are worth considering, I just can't fully recommend them without hearing more.

Others to consider:

Apex Teton $5,000 - I have heard from several very reputable people that this is the best of the best. Haven't heard it personally.

Wells Audio Enigma $3,500 - I haven't heard this combo specifically either, but this amp is absolutely fantastic A+++. Need to hear with HD800 ASAP! 

Audio-GD Master 9 $1,550 - Decently good treble control & dynamics. Strong on technique, but lacks a little soul. Great at low volumes like 75dB RMS.

Cavalli Liquid Glass $3,500 - If you want to get crazy with tubes, this thing has dual plates and multiple settings so you can roll just about anything.

(2X) Questyle CMA800R in dual mono $4,000 - Double your amps, double your fun, right?

Cavalli Liquid Tungsten $???? - The best combo I have ever heard with the HD800. Amp is still in development. Release date is TBD.

Nice list, but most of these items are way too expensive for me right now to consider lol. Have you heard the Feliks Elise, how would you compare that to the LC? I have the bottlehead crack w/ speedball right now and the Elise uses the same tubes as the crack so it's a viable upgrade for me. I also don't know how much better the LC is compared to tube amps, does it sound so good even for a SS amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back