The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #22,666 of 29,017
  Nice list, but most of these items are way too expensive for me right now to consider lol. Have you heard the Feliks Elise, how would you compare that to the LC? I have the bottlehead crack w/ speedball right now and the Elise uses the same tubes as the crack so it's a viable upgrade for me. I also don't know how much better the LC is compared to tube amps, does it sound so good even for a SS amp?

I mean, LC is sold out and they're not going to be making any more. Unless you can find one used, the Elise is your best shot in that price range.

MicroZOTL2 and EC Black Widow are also really strong contenders at <$1.3K. 

May 17, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #22,667 of 29,017
  Great list!  Haven't heard most of the stuff on that list, but do agree with the few that I have.

One thing to note is to consider the tube 'rollability' of each tube amp as well and how it may affect the cost.  For example, I can tell you that the total cost of my Stratus and what I'd consider to be optimal tubes for the HD800 is well over the $3000 range and while the stock Stratus sounds great, I can probably think of a few amps that I'd prefer over its stock form at around the same price.
I'm sure the same could be said about something like the Cavalli LG too since there are so many different tube options.

Yep. Tubes can add up in a hurry. You'd probably want to budget another $500 to $1,000 to really max out the Stratus. It's worth it though. That thing is a beast!

May 17, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #22,669 of 29,017
  Nice list, but most of these items are way too expensive for me right now to consider lol. Have you heard the Feliks Elise, how would you compare that to the LC? I have the bottlehead crack w/ speedball right now and the Elise uses the same tubes as the crack so it's a viable upgrade for me. I also don't know how much better the LC is compared to tube amps, does it sound so good even for a SS amp?

I haven't heard that one, no. The LC + HD800 combo is awesome. The treble is quite smooth and the bass totally kicks like a mule. Xeculus is correct though, the only way to procure a Liquid Carbon now is second hand. The Questyle CMA800R occasionally shows up on the "for sale" forum in the $1,000 range, as well... that's a freaking steal, if you ask me. The HD800 loves current mode amplification just as much as it loves tubes, in my experience.

May 17, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #22,670 of 29,017
  I'm puzzled when people use LC in a thread not related to either of those. Is it the Liquid Crimson or Carbon they refer to?

I've noticed people usually don't abbreviate Liquid Crimson. LC generally means Liquid Carbon, as above.

May 17, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #22,671 of 29,017
Speaking of sold out, I'd highly recommend doing some more research on the Black Widow. There's 50 amps available for the next run (time tbd, current run has sold out) and then either no more, or price will increase by a lot. It's been receiving a lot of praise so far from people who have heard it, so it's worth checking out. I ordered mine recently.

May 18, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #22,672 of 29,017
  Speaking of sold out, I'd highly recommend doing some more research on the Black Widow. There's 50 amps available for the next run (time tbd, current run has sold out) and then either no more, or price will increase by a lot. It's been receiving a lot of praise so far from people who have heard it, so it's worth checking out. I ordered mine recently.

If I lived in the US I would have bought one as well. Curious how it compares to Liquid Carbon.

May 18, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #22,673 of 29,017

If I lived in the US I would have bought one as well. Curious how it compares to Liquid Carbon.

I share the same curiosity!

May 18, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #22,674 of 29,017
No
I don't know if you mean that post I had from last year. I'd keep most of my recommendations, but with a couple of updates:

< $500 - Bottlehead Crack + Speedball

< $1,000 - Cavalli Liquid Carbon  (Also worth looking at: Schiit Mjolnir 2 and some good tubes)

< $2,000 - Questyle CMA800R (Also worth looking at: Linear Tube Audio microZOTL2.0) 

<$3,000 - DNA Stratus 

<$4,000 - Cavalli Liquid Gold

I need to spend some time with the HD800 and the ZOTL2 and Mjolnir 2 to really see where they fit. They are solid devices and quite popular choices with the HD800. They are worth considering, I just can't fully recommend them without hearing more.

Others to consider:

Apex Teton $5,000 - I have heard from several very reputable people that this is the best of the best. Haven't heard it personally.

Wells Audio Enigma $3,500 - I haven't heard this combo specifically either, but this amp is absolutely fantastic A+++. Need to hear with HD800 ASAP! 

Audio-GD Master 9 $1,550 - Decently good treble control & dynamics. Strong on technique, but lacks a little soul. Great at low volumes like 75dB RMS.

Cavalli Liquid Glass $3,500 - If you want to get crazy with tubes, this thing has dual plates and multiple settings so you can roll just about anything.

(2X) Questyle CMA800R in dual mono $4,000 - Double your amps, double your fun, right?

Cavalli Liquid Tungsten $???? - The best combo I have ever heard with the HD800. Amp is still in development. Release date is TBD.

Nice list... just wondering, not a single Eddie Current amp worth a mention? Any reason?

May 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #22,676 of 29,017
No
Nice list... just wondering, not a single Eddie Current amp worth a mention? Any reason?

I would add EC Balancing Act to the list, better than Liquid Glass to me when I heard both last year.  But for over all I would take Liquid Glass, a little more flexible than Balancing Act

May 18, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #22,677 of 29,017
No

I would add EC Balancing Act to the list, better than Liquid Glass to me when I heard both last year.  But for over all I would take Liquid Glass, a little more flexible than Balancing Act

I've heard the Balancing Act is absolutely phenomenal with the HD800. I have not heard it personally. I would image it is probably up there with the very best of them. I simply have not heard any of Craig's amps. I would definitely like to though!

May 18, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #22,678 of 29,017
Questyle in dual mono or GS-X 2 for HD 800?

May 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #22,679 of 29,017
Questyle in dual mono or GS-X 2 for HD 800?

I'm not as in love with the GS-X 2 as some others, but it's a nice device overall. If somebody offered me both today, I'd choose the Questyle. I'd be interested to hear the differences volume matched and head-to-head on the same DAC, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back