The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #2,101 of 28,989
Each to there own but I strongly agree with preproman after owning the HD800's 3 times. They chip for no apparent reason unless literally you wear a nuke suit with special gloves handling them with care like one would with a 50 carat diamond.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #2,103 of 28,989
Quote:
Each to there own but I strongly agree with preproman after owning the HD800's 3 times. They chip for no apparent reason unless literally you wear a nuke suit with special gloves handling them with care like one would with a 50 carat diamond.

Thats odd... I own mine for around 2 years now and it still looks like new. I'm not using a headphone stand either. However, I always make sure to drop them very gently on the desk, where its mainly contacting the surface with the earpad's foam, not the housing. Guess that does the trick for me.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2,104 of 28,989
Quote:
Thats odd... I own mine for around 2 years now and it still looks like new. I'm not using a headphone stand either. However, I always make sure to drop them very gently on the desk, where its mainly contacting the surface with the earpad's foam, not the housing. Guess that does the trick for me.

Lucky you, my first pair which is an earlier S/N based model had 1 or 2 chips on the bottom of the side housing where it rests on my audio rack. Then I purchased a new pair with a 1XXXX serial number to compare the sound and found very subtle differences. Scared of damaging it I sold it off for the price I purchased them to recoup funds for other things. Eventually I sold off my earlier S/N pair for around the same price I purchased them and bought purrins used one which has a fair amount of chips and scratches but not really bothered, still have them to this day. I do plan on buying a new 2XXXX S/N one colorwared someday. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2,105 of 28,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never quite understand the MSRP price fixing though, Sennheiser is making the same per headphone regardless of how much a vendor sells it for I would imagine.

Sennheiser isn't alone in this though.  The Fostex TH-900 is $500 cheaper in Japan, SR-009 nearly $2,000 cheaper, and other examples exist as well.

It's not the sale price that is fixed, it's the minimum advertised price.  Which is to say everyone in NA has put the listed price on their site at $1499.95.  But like they did for the HD650 they can also have a email us for the real price type thing.  But since internet sales are on a rise and walking in and haggling is down... a lot of people just accept whatever is listed so not a whole lot of incentive for retail to drop the price for everyone just to get the minority who will seek out the source outside the country.

Stax is a great example.  Buying from outside Japan is just nuts.  That extra $2K buys you the privilege of being ignored by Yama when you need service /facepalm  When my O2 MkI needed service Yama didn't reply until after I had given up on them, shipped them to the UK, had them fixed and shipped back.  UK didn't care that they were a Japan unit.  They get paid to repair them, they couldn't care less what market they were purchased in.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #2,106 of 28,989

Why would you be careful with a diamond? Anything you drop it on or scrape it against would take damage and the diamond would be fine.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2,107 of 28,989
Quote:
Why would you be careful with a diamond? Anything you drop it on or scrape it against would take damage and the diamond would be fine.

But it's so precious. 
size]

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #2,109 of 28,989
Has anyone tried a balanced dynalo with the HD800? I'm thinking of getting one built in a few months after I recover from some recent spending. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #2,111 of 28,989
LOL 

A dynalo would be much easier to commission. Dynamite would probably take much longer and cost much more. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #2,113 of 28,989
I've really been contemplating getting a pair of these recently but Im afraid it won't pair well with my phonitor. It seems like many of the hd800 owners have tube amps but I love the phonitor to much to get something else. Does anyone pair there hd800s with a phonitor and, if so, what do you think? Thanks!

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #2,114 of 28,989
Quote:
I've really been contemplating getting a pair of these recently but Im afraid it won't pair well with my phonitor. It seems like many of the hd800 owners have tube amps but I love the phonitor to much to get something else. Does anyone pair there hd800s with a phonitor and, if so, what do you think? Thanks!

The best pairing around. 'nuff said.

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #2,115 of 28,989
my moon audio cable arrived ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back