The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #19,321 of 29,017
  I like to read all of the opinions and take in the differences. My HD800s sound fine to me with no EQ through either my Schiit Valhalla 2 or Asgard 2. I have read something recently that spoke to why what I hear and what someone else hears could be so different. I like the HD800s for the clear sound. I just seems crisp. 

Anyway, below may be some good reads for everyone to consider.

http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphones/ss/Why-Headphones-Sound-Different-to-Different-People.htm#step1

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16343460/AES%20137%20The%20Influecne%20of%20Listeners%27%20Experence%2C%20Age%2C%20and%20Cultire%20on%20Headphone%20Sound%20Quality%20Preferences%20.key.pdf

Same here. The greatest strength of the HD800 is the clear and detailed treble. Even very high-end speakers don't come close in this area. So I'm keeping the HD800 the way it is. The only time I EQ the HD800 is when I listen to some EDM and I want a subwoofer bass like my Shure SE846 does.

Besides, my AKG K240 sounds alot brighter than the HD800 (producers use the AKG K240 for mixing, so the HD800 treble can't be bad). 

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #19,323 of 29,017

Have you done anything besides hard wiring?  Could you post a picture?  I'd like to see what it looks like.

Sure:
<snip>

There is a thread on how this is done on another site,
but suffice to say this connector with tiny pins and its associated tiny wire is what was removed and straight wired onto those contacts..

I feel the HD800 drivers are so sensitive, they should be viewed also as type of detection device,
as it is able to clearly make out change of the wire & connection removal.

Another point is that not every wire gives bass increase.

The hardwired Endorphen cable had its own characteristics and not larger bass than mine with Draug2,
but that makes sense as it is a different wire..

I'm always curious about this effect when ever I read about it. 

What characteristics of a wire can account for this discrepancy?  Resistance?  Capacitance? Inductance? What's different that can cause an audible increase in bass?

Is there a change in impedance? I know that as you increase the output impedance of a headphone amp you also increase the bass.

What mods were done to the headphones you bought?

See @Taowolf51 's post, link and CSD measurements I mentioned.

Link is to his profile page ?

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #19,324 of 29,017

Here's a link that details the types of mods that JaZZ is talking about, complete with measurements. There are more measurements available, but they're from a certain place we're not allowed to talk about.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod#RlPdYtS70E4Sua0Q.97

^-- that one 
beerchug.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #19,325 of 29,017
Jul 12, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #19,326 of 29,017

What characteristics of a wire can account for this discrepancy? Resistance? Capacitance? Inductance? What's different that can cause an audible increase in bass?

I too am curious as I only know of the results..

I am believing it has to do with the design in winding and materials..

Its true from a simplistic standpoint it doesnt make sense, wire should be wire.
But that is like saying there is nothing more complex than simple "Ohms Law"..

The reality is that there is much going on with todays designers trying to control how the wire conducts..

You can see the trend of using specific Litz winding and OCC and more cores...

Edit:
But for the HD800,
I believe removal of stock micro plug increases the traits of the wire used, because the HD800 drivers are so good to dectect it.

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #19,327 of 29,017
Looking over some old posts....

lol!

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #19,328 of 29,017
I just think it's hilarious someone is offended that people found the treble to be a touch hot, modified the headphones without causing any damage or anything that isn't irreversible, tested the modifications, and quantified how the modified headphones helped to objectively make them sound more linear (less emphasis on the hot treble)...

Fwiw I tested the modded HD-800's and bought them that way. I much preferred them to the stock, which I also tested and could have purchased. I really doubt anyone is selling these without mentioning they have the mod installed. If second hand buyers of the 800's are worried, they can check for themselves.

I just raided my wife's scrapbook tools and craft supplies.  I deviated from the  Anaxilus Mod "my way".  I used the pdf template but I used ZOT adhesive dots and used razor sharp scissors to cut out the felt.

A little sparkle has been removed from the sound signature. However it's possibly added more chillout time for my listening sessions. So far I'm enjoying the mod.

This mod still does not substitute having a killer source. So far using my Space tech lab tube dac setup (from my 2 channel) with unmodified HD800/Burson Virtuoso combo has been the most engaging.  My typical desktop setup is my Burson virtuoso/internal dac with Grant fidelity tube processor with "now modded" HD800 is actually surprising me at the moment.

Removing the mod would take a couple of minutes if I wanted more sparkle.  

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #19,329 of 29,017

What characteristics of a wire can account for this discrepancy? Resistance? Capacitance? Inductance? What's different that can cause an audible increase in bass?

I too am curious as I only know of the results..

I am believing it has to do with the design in winding and materials..

Its true from a simplistic standpoint it doesnt make sense, wire should be wire.
But that is like saying there is nothing more complex than simple "Ohms Law"..

The reality is that there is much going on with todays designers trying to control how the wire conducts..

You can see the trend of using specific Litz winding and OCC and more cores...

Edit:
But for the HD800,
I believe removal of stock micro plug increases the traits of the wire used, because the HD800 drivers are so good to dectect it.

Please explain removal of stock micro plug....
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #19,330 of 29,017
Quote:upstateguy
 Btw, using the word "problem" is a problem.  It infers that the 800s are somehow defective.

As regards to being perfect in sound signature and the vagaries of human sound perception,  YES - every headphone ever produced is defective.

Whether it is the absolute performance characteristics of the headphone, or the listener's taste in audio, they will sound flawed in at least some aspect.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #19,331 of 29,017
So I'm set to receive these on Friday. I just have to find a balanced cable for these now so I have to find a place that has minimal turnaround time since most cable companies here have a month or longer time before they are completed and shipped. That Charleston cable company seems pretty interesting. It also seems a lot of cable company are providing these shorter cables with a separate adapter so you can use multiple headphone on. That seems like a pretty cool idea and better than spending money on one cable and selling it if you sell the headphone.

With the recent talk about modding I did try the mod that was on the innerfidelity website the first time I had the HD800. Unfortunately, I did not like them much since I felt it took away too much of the strengths of the HD800 that I liked so removed it. I also had different setup back then with my dac as the Anedio D1 and Buffalo III and my amp as the Schiit Mjolnir. My dac probably didn't improve but my amp did so I'm hoping it is even better this time around.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #19,332 of 29,017
@Rawster I have the HE1000s in the house until Wednesday, really great headphones, bet I have ever heard. Though with a caveat, I haven't heard a the HD800 in my system. So Todd (TTVJ) will be sending me his pair to try.

I am looking forward to reading your impressions on the HD800 in your system!

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #19,333 of 29,017

With the recent talk about modding I did try the mod that was on the innerfidelity website the first time I had the HD800. Unfortunately, I did not like them much since I felt it took away too much of the strengths of the HD800 that I liked so removed it. I also had different setup back then with my dac as the Anedio D1 and Buffalo III and my amp as the Schiit Mjolnir. My dac probably didn't improve but my amp did so I'm hoping it is even better this time around.

I'm also interested in your findings especially with a solid state setup. 

The modification so far has been a fun experimental one. I do find the treble to be a lot smoother with less shrill on some of my music that I listen too. Clarity is definitely not lost but the smoother high's do give me the impression the "loss"  of some HD800 character. The "felt" modification does seem to give a broader consistency of taming the treble across the board as you change from music genre. This is what I'm discovering at the moment with a solid state setup going from electronica to Chris Botti/trumpet. This is where I can withhold pulling out the modifications for now.  This of course is with my current gear. The cheap modification almost presents a less aggressive bold presentation I find in the stock HD800 has in stock form when used with solid state amp/dac setup . 

With my tube setup the unmodified HD800 is truly superior (to my ears)  to my Virtuoso/internal dac/grant fidelity tube processor  setup. The tubes have this certain "listener's engagement" that I cannot replicate with solid state at the same time maintaining a comfortable non shrilling treble on certain music tracks I listen too. Also more organic long tail "note decay" with string instruments with tubes.  

The HD800 modification is fun in changing the character of a "stock" HD800. As per usual mileage may vary from person to person and definitely dependent on the dac/amp used in pairing with the HD800. When I eventually permanently change my headphone setup with another Tube dac I'll definitely remove the modifications to my headphones. However in this case it'll be substantially cheaper to buy different flagship headphones than to buy another dac.  Seems like there's always decisions to make to please the ears.

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #19,334 of 29,017
@Rawster I have the HE1000s in the house until Wednesday, really great headphones, bet I have ever heard. Though with a caveat, I haven't heard a the HD800 in my system. So Todd (TTVJ) will be sending me his pair to try.

I am looking forward to reading your impressions on the HD800 in your system!

It won't be anytime soon for sure. I found a decent deal on the HD800 so ended up purchasing it. It was an impulse buy so still looking at a balanced cable but I'll probably have something commissioned within next 24 hours. I'm still getting used to my HE-6 again. Lately I've been using it to watch anime or youtube..I've been getting distracted and next thing I knew no time left for audio.

I was planning a move in the next month or two so that takes priority over anything else right now. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #19,335 of 29,017
Been trying out a new diy amp with my HD800's the Nelson Pass ACA one of his jfet single ended class A  mono block designs with 6W output!  I built it to try with some full range speaker drivers and my HE-6 but its also been doing a great job with the HD800's as well
atsmile.gif

Have a couple of mods in mind to make it a bit more headphone user friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back