The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #19,351 of 29,017

mmmh. that's debatable... The HE-6 and the HD800 has been on my desk for a few weeks now and I still struggle to make my onw opinion about bass and the rest of the spectrum.  I still think both headphones brings something of their own in every area. Bass included.  

when I do A/B of the two headphones : when I switch from HE-6 to HD800 I tell myself " OK the upgrade is obvious"... when I switch from HD800 to HE-6 , I tell myself " hum. ****... I feel it's an upgrade as well" ... it's like the two headphones offer two different way to present the music but that two way are both as interesting for me.  I understand better  why so much people come from the HD800 to the HE-6 and the other way ! 

I'll find out soon enough. That was two years ago and my system has changed completely. I don't have them to compare yet however soon I will. I don't mind being wrong in this case if that happens though..

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #19,352 of 29,017
Stax excluded, I personally think after going through a lot of headphones the HD800s, and HE-6s, both modded and on a good rig are the best the market has to offer. There are other very good headphones, but. in some cases, despite the price the overall sound quality is not as good as with the former too.

I left Stax out only because I never heard the T2 DIY. Only up to BHSE and KGSSHV. I would say the SR-009/BHSE is probably the strongest competition to the good HD800s rigs, but not to the HE-6s.

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #19,358 of 29,017

You don't miss the HE-6 mids ? 

Yeah the mids are the weaker spot on those imo. And also the FR is not as coherent as the HE-6s'.

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #19,359 of 29,017
Yeah the mids are the weaker spot on those imo. And also the FR is not as coherent as the HE-6s'.

Maybe but abyss soundstage and imaging capabilities are better. It's not that the he-6 is bad at all but abyss is better on those points.

I see..... you'll be back soon to your he-6! LOL!

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #19,360 of 29,017
Maybe but abyss soundstage and imaging capabilities are better. It's not that the he-6 is bad at all but abyss is better on those points.
I see..... you'll be back soon to your he-6! LOL!

Yes the sound stage is better and so is the bass (but only very marginally after the blutack he-6 mod). It's a very close one, but I outweigh things very slightly in favour the modded HE-6s. Btw I like the Abyss and yes it is THEE competition for the HE-6s. Probably a contest with more similarity compared the SR009/HD800 one, since both those are planars.

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #19,362 of 29,017
  The Abyss is not as fatiguing to for long periods of time.

The HE-6s is never fatiguing to me over long periods... Well probably the Abyss isn't either. But we can talk more details in the other thread. I have rolled quite a few mods recently and I think I am gathering why that could be with the 6s.

Since this is the HD800s thread, it's very similar to these: controlling reflections with as little sacrifice to what they do well as possible. But it's not easy with either of.

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #19,363 of 29,017

mmmh. that's debatable... The HE-6 and the HD800 has been on my desk for a few weeks now and I still struggle to make my onw opinion about bass and the rest of the spectrum.  I still think both headphones brings something of their own in every area. Bass included.  

when I do A/B of the two headphones : when I switch from HE-6 to HD800 I tell myself " OK the upgrade is obvious"... when I switch from HD800 to HE-6 , I tell myself " hum. ****... I feel it's an upgrade as well" ... it's like the two headphones offer two different way to present the music but that two way are both as interesting for me.  I understand better  why so much people come from the HD800 to the HE-6 and the other way ! 

It's always why I say that once you hit a certain point, flagships are more about different flavors than they are about raw quality. No flagship does everything better than every other flagship, each has their own flavor and specialty to fit different sonic needs and preferences. :)

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #19,364 of 29,017
It's always why I say that once you hit a certain point, flagships are more about different flavors than they are about raw quality. No flagship does everything better than every other flagship, each has their own flavor and specialty to fit different sonic needs and preferences. :)

+1. This is so true!

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #19,365 of 29,017
@taowolf51 : definitely agree with that. But IMO there's not so much flagship I really consider as true summit-fi... my summit-fi at least...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back