The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #18,151 of 28,989
Cables don't make a difference
wink.gif

But from an aesthetic and ergonomic perspective, and the fact that the Draug has better conductors and actually has effort put into its construction (and is even cheaper than the Sennheiser cable), plus all the great customization options for colour, Y splitter (the wood ones with gold filling or red filling highly recommended), I'd give my money to Draug (and I have).

Fair, and in that case I think I'll go with the Draug as well, love the look.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #18,153 of 28,989
Only to those with less than optimal hearing.

Just because someone doesn't detect a difference does NOT mean there is no difference.

Agree with you.
On HD800, with transparent amp and DAC, with well recorded music, I can hear the difference between pure copper cable vs stock SPC cable.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #18,154 of 28,989
I have been extremely careful with my HD800 , I never put them on a hard surface , I am afraid to even touch them!
Its just that psychologicaly plastic feels more fragile then metal for example.
How cautious are you people with your HD800's?

Honestly, good plastic would be less resistant to damage than something like aluminum.

The HD800's are made with Leona plastic and have heavy duty joints, they're pretty durable

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #18,155 of 28,989
I have been extremely careful with my HD800 , I never put them on a hard surface , I am afraid to even touch them!

My first HD800 had some paint chips and scratches on the edges and corners, but it did survived frequent cable changing and loud volume. If you want to put it in a hard surface, just put it down gently without any force.
Touching the metal grille will only leave some finger print smudges that can be a PITA to clean, so unless you touch the, with your keys or metal, you don't have to worry much.

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #18,156 of 28,989
  Only to those with less than optimal hearing.

Just because someone doesn't detect a difference does NOT mean there is no difference.

Agree with you.
On HD800, with transparent amp and DAC, with well recorded music, I can hear the difference between pure copper cable vs stock SPC cable.

Alright, which do you prefer of the cables listed in my original question or if you do not use either what cable company do you prefer and why?

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #18,157 of 28,989

I use my HD800 as any other headphone and it falled many times on the floor. The only shortcoming is the stock paint that is really fragile .

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #18,158 of 28,989
Well I am pretty cautious with mine, but scratched it when taking a connector out.  The need to be babied to stay in pristine condition.  

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #18,160 of 28,989
  Always wondered why the connectors are so reluctant to come out.... 
mad.gif

Over time they come out more easily. But the first few times, watch out!

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #18,162 of 28,989
  a cappella harmony groups sound amazing on the hd800
L3000.gif

As does Polyphonic plainchant. I was listening to Polyphonies oubliées - Ensemble Gilles Binchois all morning....

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #18,164 of 28,989

If you really like the stock color of the HD800s,  or if you want a different color,  either way   http://www.colorware.com/p-289-sennheiser-hd-800.aspx  is the way to go.  I'm telling you.  This will give your HD800s a way longer ( aesthetically pleasing) life.  It's well worth the little bit of money they charge.  Heck, they don't charge a dime over MSRP if you buy directly from them.  

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #18,165 of 28,989
If you really like the stock color of the HD800s,  or if you want a different color,  either way   http://www.colorware.com/p-289-sennheiser-hd-800.aspx  is the way to go.  I'm telling you.  This will give your HD800s a way longer ( aesthetically pleasing) life.  It's well worth the little bit of money they charge.  Heck, they don't charge a dime over MSRP if you buy directly from them.  

Ditto on the Colorware... They use an automotive paint that is more chip resistant than the native HD 800 coating. When I got mine last July, they added $200 to the cost for color, but would have charged $400 or $500 if I'd sent mine in rather than buy them, colored to my design, from Colorware directly. Colorware is an authorized Sennheiser distributor. You get both the Sennheiser 2 year guarantee and Colorware's own one year guarantee on the custom color.

Both my HD 800 and my matching colored HDVD 800 amp look in perfect condition, and I am not particularly coddling to either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back