The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #16,681 of 28,989

/signed 
smily_headphones1.gif
  It is very nice with hd650's - a full lush amp with gorgeous case work that will be particularly pleasing with some genres, but you aren't going to hear all the details, dynamics and speed that the hd800's offer.  Then again, maybe this is the preference of some listeners?

The topology also seems a little outdated at this point though.  For > $1k, an OTL headamp should, at a minimum IMO, load the tubes with constant current and use nice quality film output caps.  WA3/WA2 do neither (unless you mod them like crazy like grindingthud), whereas a bottlehead crack with simple diy cap upgrades ticks both boxes for less than half the money.  YMMV and all that jazz.  

Great post and thanks for the explanation!  Definitely sounds like a nice match for hd800's with an interesting design uniquely suited for driving headphones.   

All this bottlehead/diy talk is making my wallet/credit card exerpiencing a mild concussion

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #16,682 of 28,989
My HD800 is happiest here...

FiiO X5 Coaxial Out > Metrum Octave MkII (NOS DAC) > Metrum Aurix (zero-feedback, transistor-less, tube-less amplifier)

I totally agree with @zilch0md on this one - I have the same audio chain as shown here - also using the onboard USB on the Metrum. I don't have any issues with the HD800 treble at all - also has great bass response - not quite as much as some of the more V sounding headphones but plenty for me. I have not modified the HD800 at all - completely stock. The X5 line out into the Aurix also sounds pretty damn decent.

Regarding the Woo Audio chain - I also happily use the WA6SE with the HD800 - again I don't hear anything that makes me feel like modding the HD800 - it just needs the right tube combo (e.g. 6DE7 and Sophia Princess or old GZ32) 

I think some of the more 'hyper' resolving DAC's maybe the issue sometimes equally - so the solution is down to synergy rather than any one component being 'at fault' in my opinion. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #16,683 of 28,989

I totally agree with @zilch0md on this one - I have the same audio chain as shown here - also using the onboard USB on the Metrum. I don't have any issues with the HD800 treble at all - also has great bass response - not quite as much as some of the more V sounding headphones but plenty for me. I have not modified the HD800 at all - completely stock. The X5 line out into the Aurix also sounds pretty damn decent.

Regarding the Woo Audio chain - I also happily use the WA6SE with the HD800 - again I don't hear anything that makes me feel like modding the HD800 - it just needs the right tube combo (e.g. 6DE7 and Sophia Princess or old GZ32) 

I think some of the more 'hyper' resolving DAC's maybe the issue sometimes equally - so the solution is down to synergy rather than any one component being 'at fault' in my opinion. 

Yep but regardless of the chain/combo you use with the HD800. You'll still getting the occasional complaint from people who've hardwired/programmed their brain to only accept V-shaped or basshead cans that the HD800 is lifeless or too bright.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #16,684 of 28,989

All this bottlehead/diy talk is making my wallet/credit card exerpiencing a mild concussion

Hehe - no doubt!  And diy is unfortunately a disease that tends to breed more diy and accompanying bills.  Still, bringing a kit amp to life has got to be one of the most satisfying ways of indulging in hifi and often seems to result in impressions that things sound even better than they would have if purchased off the shelf.  My view is that the crack makes for an excellent warm up round (I had only ever picked up a soldering iron once before making mine).  But those with hd800's should definitely aim for the mainline - which is just a phenomenal amp for hd800's to my ears and seemingly those of the small handful of others out there who have completed one.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #16,685 of 28,989

Hehe - no doubt!  And diy is unfortunately a disease that tends to breed more diy and accompanying bills.  Still, bringing a kit amp to life has got to be one of the most satisfying ways of indulging in hifi and often seems to result in impressions that things sound even better than they would have if purchased off the shelf.  My view is that the crack makes for an excellent warm up round (I had only ever picked up a soldering iron once before making mine).  But those with hd800's should definitely aim for the mainline - which is just a phenomenal amp for hd800's to my ears and seemingly those of the small handful of others out there who have completed one.

I don't mind if the AUD is parity with the USD about over a year ago. But at this moment, for me to purchase the mainline kit and have it delivered to Australia it $1700 @_@ Ouch!!

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #16,686 of 28,989
My HD800 is happiest here...

FiiO X5 Coaxial Out > Metrum Octave MkII (NOS DAC) > Metrum Aurix (zero-feedback, transistor-less, tube-less amplifier)

Mike,

You really have to try the "grille removal" mod. I have a bit of an earache today from overdoing my listening session last
night !!! It takes away more "artificiality" & adds even more "openness" to the sound .

If you go back a page or two in this thread you can follow the postings describing what's to be done. The only real PITA
was removing those tiny "star head' screws on the metal rings you've placed your felt rings on. (This is more effective than
that was"** (& I like the Anax 2 mod using the 1/8" foam squares shelf liner placed on top of things after you placed things back.

**(I would bet that the reason you have to damp that ring  to lower that 6 to 8khz frequency spike is because these grilles are resonating straight through to the ring that is holding them down) (What other reason could there be for the cause of this consitently
specific spike that  occurs ) (That ring is acting like a tiny frequency limited planar driver; So the 800 isn't strictly a "Dynamic"
headphone after all !!!  he,he,he)

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #16,688 of 28,989
Is the Anax 2.0 intended to be used only without the original dust covers? What happens if you use it with dust covers? I suppose it sounds a bit more veiled with the covers but don't they tame the treble even a bit more? Is it clearly better without covers or more a matter of taste?

And what's the problem with removing the outside metal cover? I don't have any metal things laying around the hd800 and also you don't grab the headphone there when putting it on or carrying it. With a little bit of care it shouldn't be a problem. Or am I wrong and it's so fragile that removing the metal cover is a no-go?

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #16,689 of 28,989
  Is the Anax 2.0 intended to be used only without the original dust covers? What happens if you use it with dust covers? I suppose it sounds a bit more veiled with the covers but don't they tame the treble even a bit more? Is it clearly better without covers or more a matter of taste?

And what's the problem with removing the outside metal cover? I don't have any metal things laying around the hd800 and also you don't grab the headphone there when putting it on or carrying it. With a little bit of care it shouldn't be a problem. Or am I wrong and it's so fragile that removing the metal cover is a no-go?

The short answer to your first question it is a matter of taste as a large portion of us who have implemented this "mod"
all have slighly different "interpretations" due to the fact that there isn't really any standardization of the materials that are being
used.

It is basically like trying to cook from a recipe without having the same "specific" ingredients. Depending on your "intuitiveness"
you can compensate for the ingredients you don't have on hand by substituting something else. You taste as you go along !
What you end up with could end up working fine or meh or you might just scrap the whole thing ! The good news is the material
you can use are fairly inexpensive, but some material substitutions may not be as "mechanically efficient" as others so you may
need to adjust how you use it. Modding is not a "Ron Popeil" proposition of "One & You're Done"

As for the original dust covers they (semi) work on a different principle than the Anax 2 is designed to work on. The Anax 2 is
saying that diffusing the sound waves inside the ear cup is the better way to "tame" the treble agressiveness by better
balancing the frequencies before they reach your ear. I like the Anax 2 sound balance better (& I'm not really convinced that
original dust cover are really doing much to slow down the ear cups inner resonance which I now believe a large portion
is coming from the grilles)

You are preaching to the choir when you mention removing these grilles. I think that if you're a large company you really have to
lean toward the side of being conservative ,as the "bean counters" really have a stronger affinity to "Murphy's Law" than Engineers do so that's why they are there, I think the caution exits on the Owners side due to the possibility of having a mishap while
you were attempting to remove these screens. (It doesn't require rocket science to remove them, but you need a degree of "technical patience" to remove them.) (Sennheiser doesn't offer "Headphone Modder's" extended warranties & this stops more people than the promise of better sound by a long shot)

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #16,691 of 28,989
I think your best bet might be to get on the list for the " Anax 3 mod build" list (the exact raw materials for Anax 2 mod aren't as easily
available as you appear to think they might be. The same materials may be but the same sized dimensions aren't as readily found.

I hope your "a bit lazy" doesn't also apply to your patience because you'll need to apply that if you plan on attempting the "grille
removal mod". If you go back a few pages on this thread you'll find some posting on how to do this. I just followed what Maxx 123
wrote on this

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #16,692 of 28,989
  Is there a Tutorial or something like that how to remove these grilles? I would like to try if I here any differences.

And how do you attach the modding materials in the headphone? Just put it in or using double faced adhesive tape or something like that?

I used double sided tape on the metal ring and on the flat plastic support piece in the 'rear' of the ear cavities.
Then I tucked the outer edge between the ear cushions and the outer support ring the ear cushions attach to.

The shelf liner should be available at any 'well stocked' hardware store,  And I would imagine that the big home center stores (lowes, home depot etc) should also have it.

I have not seen any tutorials, as such but it really isn't that difficult, assuming you have the correct (very small) torx bits.
The key for me was figuring out how to remove the ear cushions.  Once that 'hurdle' was out of the way the rest was fairly straight forward.

I use my finger nails to pry off the ear cushions, a little bit here and a little bit there until it releases.
Once the cushion has been removed then you'll have 'better' access to all the torx screws.

And it's usually 'handy' to separate each driver asssmbly from the headband by carefully pushing out the stainless steel pivot pin from underneath.  This pin can be seen when you look down onto the top of the headphones at the 'forward' edge of the 'mounting arm' that curvve down to the rear of the driver assemblies Be aware that there is a spring inside that pivot/attachment 'cavity' that you don't want to loose.

Or you can separate the driver assembly from the headband by removing the 2 screws at the location where the headband actually attaches to the driver assembly/cable attachment location, after removing the ear cushion.

Removal of the driver assemblies from the headband will make the driver assembly less awkward to handle during the removing of the outside grill/shield 

So do be careful and don't 'force' anything as it should come apart 'easily'.  

JJ

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #16,693 of 28,989
Thank's for your help. It was quite easy to remove the grill. I also installed Anax 2.0 (thanks to the kind member who sent me the materials to germany - creatology is impossible to get here).

I have the impression that the sound is wider due to the grill removal.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #16,694 of 28,989
  Thank's for your help. It was quite easy to remove the grill. I also installed Anax 2.0 (thanks to the kind member who sent me the materials to germany - creatology is impossible to get here).

I have the impression that the sound is wider due to the grill removal.

There is a reason it sounds wider. Some of the available "width" info is being "masked" be the "resonance" that the grilles were causing.(Spatial cues are much easier to hear when you start removing mechanical colorations that the headphones are producing)

Joni Mitchell sums this up perfectly in the lyric from "Big Yellow Taxi" ..."You don't know what you've got til it's gone !"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back