The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #16,696 of 28,992
At this point I'd have to say whatever slight HD800 colorations do still exist they haven't made themselves known to me for about
3 days now & that is saying something as the system I'm using them in has an extremely low, quiet noise floor.

Notes appear from a very deep quiet place,but the difference now is that timing of the decay of those notes occurs closer to what you would experience to listening to music in real time so that start of the following note isn't slightly blurred by the overhang of the previous note's decay. This is one of the "hardest tricks to accomplish" when you're listening to recorded music.

If you don't listen exclusively to Acoustic music this is probably overkill for your listening needs, but I am absolutely thrilled that I've been able to reach this level of performance from the HD800. (& I'm certain that my Metrum Hex DAC has really made it possible to hear this performance level) (This was not a great headphone for Orchestral music, it is so now beyond any doubt)

It's absolutely, wildly absurd that these are the same headphones that I'd considered getting rid of several times over the last 3 years.

The other wild thing about this is I'm really not even using the headphone amplifier of my preferred choice yet !!

I love this !!! (I can't believe how articulate the Sounstaging detail is presenting itself on this Naxos recording of Samuel Barber, Orchestral Works,Vol. 2 that I'm currently listening to the width (& now depth & height) is exceptional) I can't believe how much
those "grilles" were "mucking"( I wanted to use an "F" instead of the"m" I used) up the sound. with the grilles off you "aren't still
hearing the HD800 along with the music ! what a shame !

Alright, I'll give this thread a rest from me until at least tomorrow.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #16,697 of 28,992
So I've been mostly out of serious Head-Fi for the past few years and only listening to my work rig.  But I'm getting my HD800s out again and want to upgrade my home setup which I had to put aside not long after getting the 800s and before I was able to get too far along completing my system. 

My chain is right now

MacBook Pro -- lossless via Fidelia -- optical -- CI Audio VDA-2 nos dac (w/PS) -- Bijou (diy OTL) -- HD800

I've been following threads and reading reviews obsessively for the past month.  I started with the idea to get a new amp, but then decided I needed to clean up my source first and do some tube rolling in the Bijou.  After reading a bunch of DAC reviews I thought it might be a better bang for the buck to get a very good USB to S/PDIF converter now to upgrade my VDA-2 and to prepare for a better DAC later.  But now I'm back to the idea of getting a new DAC first.

So, what do you guys think?

1) USB - S/PDIF plus better interconnects and digital cables

John Kenny Ciunas             ~ $460 incl shipping
   CI Audio Transient Mk II         $699
   Audeophilio AP2                     $579 ($999 w/Pure Power)
   iUSB power as needed           $199

2) DAC

I don't really want to spend much more than $1500 right now, but the 2 DACs I'm most interested in are

NAD M51                      ($2000)                                      
    Metrum Octave mk II    ($1395 w/USB)
          I read with interest Sorrodje's & Zilch0md's commentaries on the Octave

Then there are the other usual suspects

Grace m920 ($1995 -> $1895)     Benchmark DAC2 L ($1695 w/o remote)
    Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSD ($1595)     Mytek Stereo 192 DSD ($1595 -> $1395)
    Anedio D2  ($1470 -> $1249)

Any help appreciated to find my way to a great system for my HD800s.

- Vic

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #16,698 of 28,992
I am happy owner of this one

Quote:
  So I've been mostly out of serious Head-Fi for the past few years and only listening to my work rig.  But I'm getting my HD800s out again and want to upgrade my home setup which I had to put aside not long after getting the 800s and before I was able to get too far along completing my system. 

My chain is right now

MacBook Pro -- lossless via Fidelia -- optical -- CI Audio VDA-2 nos dac (w/PS) -- Bijou (diy OTL) -- HD800

I've been following threads and reading reviews obsessively for the past month.  I started with the idea to get a new amp, but then decided I needed to clean up my source first and do some tube rolling in the Bijou.  After reading a bunch of DAC reviews I thought it might be a better bang for the buck to get a very good USB to S/PDIF converter now to upgrade my VDA-2 and to prepare for a better DAC later.  But now I'm back to the idea of getting a new DAC first.

2) DAC

I don't really want to spend much more than $1500 right now, but the 2 DACs I'm most interested in are

- Vic

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #16,699 of 28,992

My chain is right now

2) DAC

- Vic

Do not forget to evaluate the B.M.C Puredac....amazing DAC and superb headphone amp for the HD800

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #16,700 of 28,992
I can second the Puredac, its a fine dac and it has very useful headphone amplifier + good (separate) preamp and remote.
Good choice esp when not decided which amp to get, as its built in amp is (imo) better than amplifiers i have heard under 1000$ for HD800. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #16,702 of 28,992

My chain is right now

2) DAC

- Vic

Replace Fidelia with the latest version of Audirvana+. And shop around for a better price for the M51. They sell for $1000AUD if you're willing to import.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #16,703 of 28,992
Thanks for the replies so far.

Blackmore, your DAC is listed at the link at £2900 which is more than I am willing to spend right now, and I've not heard of that DAC before. There are other DACs I'd be interested in that price range.

Priidik & guido, I had read about the Puredac but I think I want to stay away from Sabre DACs and I don't get the sense that this is as easily available in the US as some of the others. Also, I would like to put DAC money into the most DAC for the money rather than DAC + amp. My Bijou is already a good amp. I will be looking for a separate high-end amp in the future.

freedom01, I'm interested in the Schiit stuff, but I'm guessing that my sytem is likely on par with or better than yours. I'm heading upstream (pun intended). :D. I was looking forward to the Yggdrasil when the estimated price was $1700-1800. But now that it is almost ready to be released, the price estimate is ~$2300 and It will be some time before many people will have them and live with them in their systems to develop a good picture of how this stands.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #16,704 of 28,992
Replace Fidelia with the latest version of Audirvana+. And shop around for a better price for the M51. They sell for $1000AUD if you're willing to import.

I was planning to try Audirvana+ and/or Amarra. Fidelia was the cool new app at the time.

If I get convinced that the M51 is the best pairing for the HD800 in this range, I will definitely look to get it for less than the $2000 USD it lists for here. Hmmm, I wonder what shipping and import fees would be from Aus to the US east coast?

Has anyone spent time with both the Octave and M51 with your HD800 and have an opinion/impression to share, or either of these compared to one of the Sabre DACs?

One thing I would miss out on with Octave or M51 is the opportunity to try out DSD.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #16,706 of 28,992
No problem, see your point for sure, but I was referring to the one on sale up here, however, its 230v model and you are in US, so, kind of issue there.

Good luck with your search.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far.

Blackmore, your DAC is listed at the link at £2900 which is more than I am willing to spend right now, and I've not heard of that DAC before. There are other DACs I'd be interested in that price range.

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #16,707 of 28,992

You thought about going used?   How about the GON?

Already been there and saw an M51 and a couple PWD mkii which I guess would be an upgrade over an M51?

Any comparisons between Octave - M51 - PWD mkii ?

I won't have the funds until a weeks from now, but I will definitely be looking there for something fairly new when I am ready to buy.

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #16,708 of 28,992

Already been there and saw an M51 and a couple PWD mkii which I guess would be an upgrade over an M51?

Any comparisons between Octave - M51 - PWD mkii ?

I won't have the funds until a weeks from now, but I will definitely be looking there for something fairly new when I am ready to buy.

Well,

I'm sure you're aware the Octave mkII is SE only, I'm not sure if that make difference to you or not.  Saying that, I liked the PWD mkII better than the M51 - the M51 had the much, much better preamp (volume control) if that's important.  

I like the tone of the Octave mkII better that both.  The PWD mkII had more bite or punch or attack but I like the overall tone of the Octave better.  If you can up the ante to for the HEX that would give you XLR outputs and would put you above the PWD mk II and the M51 in SQ  -->> IMO..

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #16,709 of 28,992

My chain is right now

2) DAC

- Vic

I've heard the NAD M51 extensively through many transports. Benchmark DAC-2 and Mytek I've spent a few days with. Honestly, look at the Dangerous Source. The DAC in the Source easily matches the performance of these DACs. Now if you want DSD, then don't go with Dangerous Source, but for any other format, I'd really look at the Source. The headphone amp also performs brilliantly with HD800. I rarely go past 12o clock. It has power on tap. That might be all you need. I'd probably take the Source for HD800 over something like BDA-2 or NAD M51 --> BHA-1.

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #16,710 of 28,992

Balanced output would be nice to keep options open, but not necessary.  I believe there are some excellent single-ended amps, and Donald North builds single-ended input, balanced output amps (at least Sonnet II).

So you liked the tone of the Octave MkII best of the three with HD800?  Do/did you send the Octave native 44.1 or up-sampled?   I would love to go for the Hex but that is stretching the budget too far.

Also, I don't care about the preamp options (or paying for them).  I don't have any plans to build a nice speaker system.  My wife could care less about hi-end sound.  So I'll keep it to myself.  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back