The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #15,541 of 29,017
That was a very nice score bp

Over all....what did you think of the HD800
I've thought highly of the 800's for awhile, most likely they'll be my next set of cans. I'm interested to see if the rumours of a new Sennheiser flagship are tru before I jump just to be sure though. I was first impressed by the 800's outstanding comfort. Next came their detail, clarity, instrument placement, and of course their ginormous soundstage. Some say that the 800's are bass light, but to me I found them to be exceedingly accurate and natural, (true to life), than other more colored and bass accentuated hp's.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #15,542 of 29,017

That was a very nice score bp

Over all....what did you think of the HD800

I've thought highly of the 800's for awhile, most likely they'll be my next set of cans. I'm interested to see if the rumours of a new Sennheiser flagship are tru before I jump just to be sure though. I was first impressed by the 800's outstanding comfort. Next came their detail, clarity, instrument placement, and of course their ginormous soundstage. Some say that the 800's are bass light, but to me I found them to be exceedingly accurate and natural, (true to life), than other more colored and bass accentuated hp's.

I see....yeah, if there is good bass in the recording....no worries...you will hear outstanding bass.

I am currently waiting for Glenn to build me  his OTL.....should be in january.....I can't wait to snag a couple of sets of nice tubes and try it out.

Some have told me it sounds every bit as good as the WA22......I have not heard the WA22, but I do know that is a very fine amp.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #15,543 of 29,017
The Chord Hugo DAC/amp sounds really great with Senn HD800's, at least to my ears. Some say it's too bright, others don't. Maybe a tube amp that's got enough power to make the 800's sing would be fun. If your using Senn 800's that means that you appreciate definition and clarity, so finding and picking a DAC is really a matter of personal preference. I wasn't aware until I got into this hobby how completely different many DAC's sound.

I also really liked the Hugo - I did a review (in my sig). The first 2 weeks I had it I didn't even use my WA2, just the Hugo. The WA2 with maxed tubes is only slightly better than the hugo, but the Hugo on its own is more detailed than the Hugo as DAC through WA2 if that makes sense. 

The DAC floored me but I have not heard a lot of high end DACs apart from the NAD M51. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #15,544 of 29,017
  In my experience crossfeed always produces a smaller sound stage. That is because it is introducing some of one channel into the other. That is the nature of crossfeed. Since sound stage is a result mostly of phase response the crossfeed effects phase response. Still, depending on your personal taste it can produce a more focused, but smaller sound stage. When you listen to speakers in a listening room acoustics and your ears produce a natural sound stage. Crossfeed attempts to simulate this effect. TB Isone is one vst plugin that attempts to simulate room acoustics with crossfeed without shrinking the sound stage. You might give that a try it is a vst plugin. In my experience it will produce the most realistic sound stage similar to listening to speakers. Of course, it will also color the sound a bit and it is not easy to set up properly but you can play with it you may like what it does. 

Many thanks for the response. Seems to be in line what my ears are telling me. I'll keep on experimenting :)

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #15,549 of 29,017
  I should be joining the HD800 club shortly, they arrive today according to the USPS tracking number.

:D

Anyone have any favorite tubes for the Lyr with hd800?

IMO the lyr is barely decent with the 800. Val 2 is the way to go with less and stock tubes and very good. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #15,551 of 29,017
I certainly seem to be one of the few folks that doesn't enjoy the Hugo/HD800 pairing.  Tried it again today after not using it for a while and I still find the pairing to be bright and lacking weight. For me, the Hugo is a much better pairing with HD650s.  The 650s seem to add that missing weight for me while the Hugo seems to lift the "veil".

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #15,552 of 29,017
  I certainly seem to be one of the few folks that doesn't enjoy the Hugo/HD800 pairing.  Tried it again today after not using it for a while and I still find the pairing to be bright and lacking weight. For me, the Hugo is a much better pairing with HD650s.  The 650s seem to add that missing weight for me while the Hugo seems to lift the "veil".

Interesting, I wish I still had my 650's so I could try that out. I did like the HD800/hugo pairing when I had it. Was amazing for new recorded rock. I listened to that Alt j album "An awesome wave" every day when I had the Hugo. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #15,554 of 29,017
Dec 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #15,555 of 29,017
I preferred the Naim DAC-V1 over the WA7.  Auditioned the HDVD800 and it was equal to the Naim on SE output.  Didn't try the balanced out but people say that the balanced amp out is another step above.  Then there's the McIntosh MHA100
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
  What would be a step up for an integrated DAC/amp for the HD800 from the Woo Audio WA7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back