The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #15,528 of 29,017
I'm currently experimenting with the cross feed settings on the Chord Hugo. The soundstage seems more "focussed" and "centred" with the cross feed section on. Not sure what is best since I seems to loose soundstage width based on my set of ears. But it sounds good nonetheless. 

Is cross feed with software plugins or from a dac / amp a good idea with the HD800?

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #15,529 of 29,017
  I'm currently experimenting with the cross feed settings on the Chord Hugo. The soundstage seems more "focussed" and "centred" with the cross feed section on. Not sure what is best since I seems to loose soundstage width based on my set of ears. But it sounds good nonetheless. 

Is cross feed with software plugins or from a dac / amp a good idea with the HD800?

In my experience crossfeed always produces a smaller sound stage. That is because it is introducing some of one channel into the other. That is the nature of crossfeed. Since sound stage is a result mostly of phase response the crossfeed effects phase response. Still, depending on your personal taste it can produce a more focused, but smaller sound stage. When you listen to speakers in a listening room acoustics and your ears produce a natural sound stage. Crossfeed attempts to simulate this effect. TB Isone is one vst plugin that attempts to simulate room acoustics with crossfeed without shrinking the sound stage. You might give that a try it is a vst plugin. In my experience it will produce the most realistic sound stage similar to listening to speakers. Of course, it will also color the sound a bit and it is not easy to set up properly but you can play with it you may like what it does. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #15,531 of 29,017
Anyone see the MassDrop  ZY Cable HD800 set? Sweet deal if the cables are good. 
  1. This drop features three different cables and an adapter that terminate with connections found in high-end amplifiers. Made from large diameter four-core twisted crystal copper and neutrik plated nickel silver, the 6.5 mm, 3-Pin XLR, 4-Pin XLR and 4-Pin XLR to 6.5 mm cables are all extremely durable and offer high resolving power and smooth sound.
Any opinions or comments?

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #15,532 of 29,017
  Anyone see the MassDrop  ZY Cable HD800 set? Sweet deal if the cables are good. 
  1. This drop features three different cables and an adapter that terminate with connections found in high-end amplifiers. Made from large diameter four-core twisted crystal copper and neutrik plated nickel silver, the 6.5 mm, 3-Pin XLR, 4-Pin XLR and 4-Pin XLR to 6.5 mm cables are all extremely durable and offer high resolving power and smooth sound.
Any opinions or comments?

If I read the drop correctly you choose which configuration you want. I don't read that you get all three. I own these cables which I purchased off ebay several months ago for my HD800's. Mine are terminated with 4 pin xlr for balanced. I think they are excellent cables. I would recommend them. Unless you are the type that believes a $1000 cable makes a difference I think these are an excellent choice and they are offering them for less than the price I paid on ebay. I use them everyday. No complaints build quality is good.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #15,533 of 29,017
If you choose XLR, then 10USD will be added. If the adapter is added, another 29 bucks will be added to the total cost. The base price is for 6.3mm plug only.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #15,535 of 29,017
What would be a step up for an integrated DAC/amp for the HD800 from the Woo Audio WA7?
The Chord Hugo DAC/amp sounds really great with Senn HD800's, at least to my ears. Some say it's too bright, others don't. Maybe a tube amp that's got enough power to make the 800's sing would be fun. If your using Senn 800's that means that you appreciate definition and clarity, so finding and picking a DAC is really a matter of personal preference. I wasn't aware until I got into this hobby how completely different many DAC's sound.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #15,536 of 29,017
The Chord Hugo DAC/amp sounds really great with Senn HD800's, at least to my ears. Some say it's too bright, others don't. Maybe a tube amp that's got enough power to make the 800's sing would be fun. If your using Senn 800's that means that you appreciate definition and clarity, so finding and picking a DAC is really a matter of personal preference. I wasn't aware until I got into this hobby how completely different many DAC's sound.

Sorry but i don't see any HD800 or Hugo in your profile ???

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #15,537 of 29,017
Sorry but i don't see any HD800 or Hugo in your profile ???
I was lucky enough to borrow a friends portable rig for a couple weeks while he was out of town.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #15,538 of 29,017
  What would be a step up for an integrated DAC/amp for the HD800 from the Woo Audio WA7?

How much is your budget? Lot's of great options but some get expensive.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #15,539 of 29,017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back