The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Sep 13, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #2,356 of 2,621
HD 6xx is considerably cheaper to get (even with no discount/sale) from Drop in most EU countries than HD 650s.
EUnion has 0% custom tax/toll/zoll for USA electronics import, only VAT and shipping costs.
I would be a heaven for EU if Drop to expand their operations to EU again or otherwise if Sennheiser would do a collab with Amazon, Mediamarkt or Expert like with Drop for USA or if Drop just da a dropshipping with Sennheiser or Amazon, basically sold on drop, delivered by Sennheiser/Amazon for EU.

I still regret missing the sale in 2019 for 6xx, where you could get 6xx for 155$ (with all the coupons) or 175% (new customer coupon) + VAT.
Basically only 190$ for Poland incl. VAT and shipping cost, even less than MSRP of HD 560S... Where as locally they are priced at 350$.
Waiting for another sale like that, so I can get the 6xx for at least 100$ cheaper than 650 in EU.

Having listened to both 560s and 650 (Paired with SoundBlaster X G6, FiiO K5 Pro competitor), listening to Spotify Premium.
I liked the 650 a lot more for music, mostly thanks to the vocals, which sounded fuller and more intimate.
I listen to lot of pop, rock, indie-rock, trance, modern music and hiphop. I also enjoy movies, especially with 3D audio.
I love the 560s (new 143$) for gaming, they have amazing pin point accuracy for Open World Competitive games like Apex Legens or COD MW3, as well as classic like CSGO.
But I already own Philips Fidelio X3 (got them from outlet for 80$), they are very similar to 560s and I don't know, both seem not my type for music, I don' listen to Jazz or Classic music all that much.
Even then (pc360) 598 seems more pleasant for classic music, specially for violins (thanks to reverb?) than both (just worse resolution).
Don't know if they pair that well with anything I listen to though, except gaming.

I own PC360 (which people say are HD598) and in comparison I like the presentation of HD598 better for all day drive, than both 560s and X3.
If HD598 only had tidier bass, which 650 seems to have and way better resolution, but then again loses soundstage.
Both 560s and X3 are better for gaming and have better resolution than 598, but neither seems to suite my taste as daily drive, they both feel less pleasant to listen to.
I don't like the vocal on either for music, both sound thin, 560s little less so and 560s feels more grainy for me in treble (I do not know if X3 just works better with my ears).
It's like I hear grain in treble in 560s, less so with X3, while it should be other way around according to frequency graph.
X3 feels like it has tidier bass and more of it, 560s bass just goes on longer, but both continue for long time.
For gaming X3 has way bigger soundstage, but it feels like 560s have better positioning.
After 3 days I am still undecided and I was wondering if I should try to burn in the 560s for 40-50h or if they don't change that much and just not my cup of tea and I should return them?
Only tried them with pop, classic and gaming at this point and for hip-hop, EDM I also already own X2HR (new, 110$) and was thiking that I own so many headphones at this point that it's just too much owning both X3 and 560s (same type of or simlar headphones, especially as I don't like the presentation and it's type of music I don't listen as much) and one has to go.
I just got the 560s and I just cannot decide between them and what genre they really are special at.

So it's a question which I will leave for gaming and which one will go on to be sold, as they don't suit my music tastes I guess.
I guess I am still only finding my tastes out.
That part about tax is totally not true. We pay pretty huge taxes/Zoll for anything coming from US. Back when I bought my monolith liquid spark, I payed more than 90euros in Zoll. For a device that cost less than that on its own. Same thing with UK, ever since brexit Zoll sucks. If not mistaken everything with worth above 25euro applies for Zoll costs. Sometimes you get lucky and it passes through Zoll without you having to pay anything(have no clue how this happens but it does with random orders and random prices stated on them from the same seller and same postal service) but in any case Zoll is very expensive in EU.

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #2,357 of 2,621
That part about tax is totally not true. We pay pretty huge taxes/Zoll for anything coming from US. Back when I bought my monolith liquid spark, I payed more than 90euros in Zoll. For a device that cost less than that on its own. Same thing with UK, ever since brexit Zoll sucks. If not mistaken everything with worth above 25euro applies for Zoll costs. Sometimes you get lucky and it passes through Zoll without you having to pay anything(have no clue how this happens but it does with random orders and random prices stated on them from the same seller and same postal service) but in any case Zoll is very expensive in EU.
Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is zoll?

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #2,358 of 2,621
Sep 14, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #2,359 of 2,621
With tubes they increase the sound stage (which is already pretty good using solid state) and smooth out the edginess on the treble. Keep going back to these compared to the HD-650. Not necessarily better just different. They both have their strengths.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #2,360 of 2,621
With tubes they increase the sound stage (which is already pretty good using solid state) and smooth out the edginess on the treble. Keep going back to these compared to the HD-650. Not necessarily better just different. They both have their strengths.
Loving both, the HD600 are getting a bit old...I might gift it to a friend tbh...just listening to my Momentum v1 again...like a mini closed back HD650! Amazing my big-arse ears fit in the ear pads tbh! I would love Sennheiser to release a Closed back version of the HD560s in a Momentum chasis....offfttt! :D Luxury model!

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #2,362 of 2,621
Ohh man.. The HD560s sounds absolutely glorious on the D50 fed to the P20 balanced. This combo gives the 560s everything it needs to sound excellent w classical music. Everything jumps a level, particularly note weight. In my experience the 560S badly needs a DAC/amp combo that can give instruments in busier sections their proper placement on the stage, as the stage can get a bit clustered with classical on DAPs and lesser DACs. From the D50/P20 stage depth and height increase enough to really show what this headphone can do as it layers the instruments. And that last drop of resolution is utilized to not make the 560s sound strained in busy sections with large dynamic swings. Very pleased with the performance of the P20, though it sounded a bit too warm with the stock tubes with the HD600. Waiting for some upgrade tubes to try when they arrive. But the 560s on tubes is pretty much the way to go it seems

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,363 of 2,621
560s on anything is the way to go haha. They even sound great on console controllers.

I know there was crazy initial hype on these, and that has since died down a bit. I think as it stands these are one of the best values in headphones, they are seriously underrated. Paradoxically, I feel like if they went for more than $200, say in the $350 range, they would be held in much higher regard in the audio community. Their affordable $200 price almost works against them which is sort of nutty.

To me, the 560s are better and more refined than the Sundara for example. They are also an almost perfect reference headphone, and are probably one of if not the best gaming headphone below the HD800s. Just terrific value.

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #2,364 of 2,621
560s on anything is the way to go haha. They even sound great on console controllers.

I know there was crazy initial hype on these, and that has since died down a bit. I think as it stands these are one of the best values in headphones, they are seriously underrated. Paradoxically, I feel like if they went for more than $200, say in the $350 range, they would be held in much higher regard in the audio community. Their affordable $200 price almost works against them which is sort of nutty.

To me, the 560s are better and more refined than the Sundara for example. They are also an almost perfect reference headphone, and are probably one of if not the best gaming headphone below the HD800s. Just terrific value.

I just don’t feel like solid-state does the 560s justice. Going to try it tnite w the SA-1 to attempt to disprove this theory. So far I’ve found it’s not ideal paired with the Monoprice THX 887, the JDS Atom, the Topping A90 or the DX7 Pro. Not saying it sounds terrible w SS, just that it's most at home w good tube amp.

For example, the 560s with the Loxjie P20 amp/ Loxjie D50 DAC combo versus D50 DAC with the JDS Atom - the P20 stomps all over the Atom. No contest.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #2,365 of 2,621
Personally, these are my favourite setup for my HD560s...
2020-09-03 (1).jpg

Super transparency of the Sp200 coupled with some old Vintage Theta DAC's......HEAVEN!

@Evshrug -Can ya ask Sennheiser if they have any more goodies in the works, a long the lines of a closed-back version of the HD560s?! :wink: - Remember the old HD630VB? :D

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #2,366 of 2,621
Update: 560s sounds better on the P20 than the SA-1, and it's not even a little close. This headphone either loves tubes in general or loves the heck outta the P20. It just sounds so-so good. Guitars sound RIDICULOUS with this amp. Listening to Car Seat Headrest and the body of the guitars when they come in at 2:38 on the song The Ballad of Costa Concordia is obscene ..and the way they come in at the outside at the edge of the stage in both cans... oh man just marvelous. Posting the song incase anyone wants to know what I'm talking about:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,367 of 2,621
Bought my pair of 560's when they came out. Haven't been giving any time in at least 6-8 months. I've been listening to mostly my various Grado's, Senn 6xx and 660s, and my Focal Clear OG. This morning, on a lark put them on and am amazed all over again. Such great sound at such a reasonable price. A great all-rounder. There are things that could be better (sound stage, bass extension, a bit better treble IMHO), but over all a great headphone. Will definitely become part of my regular rotation

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #2,369 of 2,621
Just to add/correct myself on the HD 600 vs HD 560S.

Further comparing makes me realise that although one is more relaxed (600) and one is more accurate (560S) in my opinion...it's actually the more accurate one I personally find a more relaxing listen.

Seems illogical that the headphone that is more likely to show up flaws in a recording is, strangely more relaxing for me, even though the sound is less relaxed than the 600. (If that makes sense!!!!!)

Reviving an old comment here but I'm going to say I agree with this if we're on the same wavelength meaning, I find faster sounding headphones with higher detail and better separation make for an effortless sound that's easier to listen to imo. Now i think this might be due to having to be less focused and giving 101% attention to everything happening in the music. HD650 can sound congested and thick with some tracks and it's not always easy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back