The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Aug 15, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #2,311 of 2,621
Do you use an equalizer with the 560s?

With EQ (highs -10db) my experience is great. It's an exceptional pair of headphones. The extended bass sounds great, and so is the sound stage.

Without EQ I can't listen to it, unfortunately. Usually I liked to listen to somewhat bright headphones, in the past. To the K 701, DT 880, DT 990 kind of. Not to the K612, there was a metallic brightness that I couldn't handle. To the SRH 1540 I liked to listen for some time, but it was a somewhat tiring sound. The HD 600 has been my favorite. The HD 650 I found too dark sometimes, or too bright with a newer model and insufficient amplification.

I believe my 560s has some variance or my ears don't go along with the angled drivers. My experience is too different from what others describe their experience. I hope you don't take my post as too critical. It's just that everyone seems to be able to use it without EQ but me.
Most people have a preference for the kind of sound they like, or don't

There are numerous headphones on head fi that some people love while others will dislike or not be too excited about, with the exact same headphone.
That's normal, nothing to apologise for or be ashamed of.

Aug 16, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,312 of 2,621
Hello everyone. I began to notice that my left ear canal began to get tired of listening for a long time, I thought it was my ear problem, I listened to the headphones for 2 weeks, the problem did not disappear. And then I decided to run the sine on the site https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/. And here's what I noticed - a serious imbalance of channels starting from 2000hz (playing in the left ear) and ending with 5200hz (approaching the center). By the way, any, absolutely any vocal in any compositions sounds slightly to the left by 4-6%.

I have studied some comments on YouTube, including oluv* , and it seems that the problem is standardized.

Could I ask you to reproduce this defect for yourself??? thank you, and sorry for the english

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,313 of 2,621
Hello guys,

I like everything about HD 560S but I don't want to carry the heavy 1/4' inch adapter in my pocket.
I use 3.5mm all the time. Do you guys know any 3.5mm single end cable that will work on HD 560S?
a4a44a4a.jpg

I know there are some Chinese cables on Ebay but I'm not sure if they have high quality materials. Some of the poor cables can degrade sound quality.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2,318 of 2,621
FYI, the HD 6xx is a recolored (and fewer accessories) HD 650 sold exclusively by drop.com. I was just talking to Drop recently, and they were thinking about expanding operations to Europe again… before Covid happened. For now, you can order the HD 6XX from Drop and they will ship from the US, or you can buy an HD 650 locally to support your favorite dealer. I suggest comparing the local price vs VAT and customs shipping from Drop.

I wrote up a comparison between the HD 560S, HD 650 (HD 6XX), and HD 58X Jubilee on my blog: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/evs...w-now-discussion-journal.646786/post-16343764

The “bump” inside the HD 560S is at the back of the earcup, and most people will not be able to touch it with their ears if the headphone is centered over your ear canals. It is indeed part of the E.A.R. tuning and acoustics of the headphone.
HD 6xx is considerably cheaper to get (even with no discount/sale) from Drop in most EU countries than HD 650s.
EUnion has 0% custom tax/toll/zoll for USA electronics import, only VAT and shipping costs.
I would be a heaven for EU if Drop to expand their operations to EU again or otherwise if Sennheiser would do a collab with Amazon, Mediamarkt or Expert like with Drop for USA or if Drop just da a dropshipping with Sennheiser or Amazon, basically sold on drop, delivered by Sennheiser/Amazon for EU.

I still regret missing the sale in 2019 for 6xx, where you could get 6xx for 155$ (with all the coupons) or 175% (new customer coupon) + VAT.
Basically only 190$ for Poland incl. VAT and shipping cost, even less than MSRP of HD 560S... Where as locally they are priced at 350$.
Waiting for another sale like that, so I can get the 6xx for at least 100$ cheaper than 650 in EU.

Having listened to both 560s and 650 (Paired with SoundBlaster X G6, FiiO K5 Pro competitor), listening to Spotify Premium.
I liked the 650 a lot more for music, mostly thanks to the vocals, which sounded fuller and more intimate.
I listen to lot of pop, rock, indie-rock, trance, modern music and hiphop. I also enjoy movies, especially with 3D audio.
I love the 560s (new 143$) for gaming, they have amazing pin point accuracy for Open World Competitive games like Apex Legens or COD MW3, as well as classic like CSGO.
But I already own Philips Fidelio X3 (got them from outlet for 80$), they are very similar to 560s and I don't know, both seem not my type for music, I don' listen to Jazz or Classic music all that much.
Even then (pc360) 598 seems more pleasant for classic music, specially for violins (thanks to reverb?) than both (just worse resolution).
Don't know if they pair that well with anything I listen to though, except gaming.

I own PC360 (which people say are HD598) and in comparison I like the presentation of HD598 better for all day drive, than both 560s and X3.
If HD598 only had tidier bass, which 650 seems to have and way better resolution, but then again loses soundstage.
Both 560s and X3 are better for gaming and have better resolution than 598, but neither seems to suite my taste as daily drive, they both feel less pleasant to listen to.
I don't like the vocal on either for music, both sound thin, 560s little less so and 560s feels more grainy for me in treble (I do not know if X3 just works better with my ears).
It's like I hear grain in treble in 560s, less so with X3, while it should be other way around according to frequency graph.
X3 feels like it has tidier bass and more of it, 560s bass just goes on longer, but both continue for long time.
For gaming X3 has way bigger soundstage, but it feels like 560s have better positioning.
After 3 days I am still undecided and I was wondering if I should try to burn in the 560s for 40-50h or if they don't change that much and just not my cup of tea and I should return them?
Only tried them with pop, classic and gaming at this point and for hip-hop, EDM I also already own X2HR (new, 110$) and was thiking that I own so many headphones at this point that it's just too much owning both X3 and 560s (same type of or simlar headphones, especially as I don't like the presentation and it's type of music I don't listen as much) and one has to go.
I just got the 560s and I just cannot decide between them and what genre they really are special at.

So it's a question which I will leave for gaming and which one will go on to be sold, as they don't suit my music tastes I guess.
I guess I am still only finding my tastes out.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #2,320 of 2,621
HD 6xx is considerably cheaper to get (even with no discount/sale) from Drop in most EU countries than HD 650s.
EUnion has 0% custom tax/toll/zoll for USA electronics import, only VAT and shipping costs.
I would be a heaven for EU if Drop to expand their operations to EU again or otherwise if Sennheiser would do a collab with Amazon, Mediamarkt or Expert like with Drop for USA or if Drop just da a dropshipping with Sennheiser or Amazon, basically sold on drop, delivered by Sennheiser/Amazon for EU.

I still regret missing the sale in 2019 for 6xx, where you could get 6xx for 155$ (with all the coupons) or 175% (new customer coupon) + VAT.
Basically only 190$ for Poland incl. VAT and shipping cost, even less than MSRP of HD 560S... Where as locally they are priced at 350$.
Waiting for another sale like that, so I can get the 6xx for at least 100$ cheaper than 650 in EU.

Having listened to both 560s and 650 (Paired with SoundBlaster X G6, FiiO K5 Pro competitor), listening to Spotify Premium.
I liked the 650 a lot more for music, mostly thanks to the vocals, which sounded fuller and more intimate.
I listen to lot of pop, rock, indie-rock, trance, modern music and hiphop. I also enjoy movies, especially with 3D audio.
I love the 560s (new 143$) for gaming, they have amazing pin point accuracy for Open World Competitive games like Apex Legens or COD MW3, as well as classic like CSGO.
But I already own Philips Fidelio X3 (got them from outlet for 80$), they are very similar to 560s and I don't know, both seem not my type for music, I don' listen to Jazz or Classic music all that much.
Even then (pc360) 598 seems more pleasant for classic music, specially for violins (thanks to reverb?) than both (just worse resolution).
Don't know if they pair that well with anything I listen to though, except gaming.

I own PC360 (which people say are HD598) and in comparison I like the presentation of HD598 better for all day drive, than both 560s and X3.
If HD598 only had tidier bass, which 650 seems to have and way better resolution, but then again loses soundstage.
Both 560s and X3 are better for gaming and have better resolution than 598, but neither seems to suite my taste as daily drive, they both feel less pleasant to listen to.
I don't like the vocal on either for music, both sound thin, 560s little less so and 560s feels more grainy for me in treble (I do not know if X3 just works better with my ears).
It's like I hear grain in treble in 560s, less so with X3, while it should be other way around according to frequency graph.
X3 feels like it has tidier bass and more of it, 560s bass just goes on longer, but both continue for long time.
For gaming X3 has way bigger soundstage, but it feels like 560s have better positioning.
After 3 days I am still undecided and I was wondering if I should try to burn in the 560s for 40-50h or if they don't change that much and just not my cup of tea and I should return them?
Only tried them with pop, classic and gaming at this point and for hip-hop, EDM I also already own X2HR (new, 110$) and was thiking that I own so many headphones at this point that it's just too much owning both X3 and 560s (same type of or simlar headphones, especially as I don't like the presentation and it's type of music I don't listen as much) and one has to go.
I just got the 560s and I just cannot decide between them and what genre they really are special at.

So it's a question which I will leave for gaming and which one will go on to be sold, as they don't suit my music tastes I guess.
I also have the X3 and 560s, and use them both for gaming and classical/jazz. For those they both excel. It seems like you enjoy more vocal forward music so like you say the 6xx is probably more your cup of tea. Id recommend just try and forget about it and enjoy the cans for what they are, can always sell in the future if 6xx becomes available to you. :)

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #2,321 of 2,621
I also have the X3 and 560s, and use them both for gaming and classical/jazz. For those they both excel. It seems like you enjoy more vocal forward music so like you say the 6xx is probably more your cup of tea. Id recommend just try and forget about it and enjoy the cans for what they are, can always sell in the future if 6xx becomes available to you. :)
Cheers, I think I will do that.
Sound is really intriguing :)
When I change from X3 to 560s after a while I don't like 560s, but it's also the other way around.
After a while of listening to 560s changing aback to X3, I then don't like the X3s.
Then going back to 598, I don't like the 598, but also additionally I notice the lower resolution of 598s, still while lacking resolution and detail, it's less offensive / more smooth.
Will give the 560s fair shot and decided after I get the 6xx at some point on a sale :)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #2,322 of 2,621

Interesting to read your comparison of the X3 and 560s. I was so excited for the X3, I loved the x2hr for a time and really appreciated how much of a change of pace they were from most other headphones. After they announced the price of $350, my desire for them cooled- and then when initial impressions started rolling it that were mostly negative, I sort of put them out if mind.

I love the 560s sound signature, so neutral yet smooth. To me they really are reference sound, they sound like studio monitors. If the X3 are similar but with that huge soundstage of the x2hr, I would probably like them honestly.

Which you keep depends on the other headphones you own. If gaming is a priority, the 560s are almost perfect for gaming, and with a simple 2.5mm twist lock adapter they can be used with something like the vmoda boom pro to make a headset.

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #2,323 of 2,621
Hello everyone. I began to notice that my left ear canal began to get tired of listening for a long time, I thought it was my ear problem, I listened to the headphones for 2 weeks, the problem did not disappear. And then I decided to run the sine on the site https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/. And here's what I noticed - a serious imbalance of channels starting from 2000hz (playing in the left ear) and ending with 5200hz (approaching the center). By the way, any, absolutely any vocal in any compositions sounds slightly to the left by 4-6%.

I have studied some comments on YouTube, including oluv* , and it seems that the problem is standardized.

Could I ask you to reproduce this defect for yourself??? thank you, and sorry for the english
That's an RMA.

Aug 18, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #2,325 of 2,621
Cheers, I think I will do that.
Sound is really intriguing :)
When I change from X3 to 560s after a while I don't like 560s, but it's also the other way around.
After a while of listening to 560s changing aback to X3, I then don't like the X3s.
Then going back to 598, I don't like the 598, but also additionally I notice the lower resolution of 598s, still while lacking resolution and detail, it's less offensive / more smooth.
Will give the 560s fair shot and decided after I get the 6xx at some point on a sale :)
I completely agree!! Everytime I switch between the X3 and 560s I change my preference for either soundstage or linearity respectively. Very hard decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back