The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,501 of 2,621
Right, I get that. My question was more along the lines of the fact I don’t believe I’ve ever heard the Mojo described that way. If anything a big complaint is it’s too warm (one that I don’t share, I think it’s an excellent DAC). I would have thought the musicality of the Mojo would play to the 560s strengths of linearity perfectly which is why I asked originally.

My current setup is running the Mojo paired with the ER4XR (which has a relatively flat frequency response as well) and the pairing is wonderfully detailed and musical.
Happy to try and explain myself.

I too think it's an excellent dac in many ways. Certainly has that special Chord sense of timing and rhythm.

If paired with a smooth full sounding amp it should be fine with the HD560S. (Have yet to try this sort of combination with these headphones)

My comment was having heard the HD560S straight out of the Mojo.

I just find these headphones so revealing, it helps if you know you like the sound of whatever it's plugged into because they let you hear that, good or bad/to your taste or not to your taste.

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #1,502 of 2,621
How would you guys say the 560s do with stuff like TV shows and movies?

Also, it JUST WENT OUT OF STOCK on Amazon (United States) after being in stock for only one day! To the Sennheiser reps monitoring this thread--When will it be back in stock, and when will it start to CONSISTENTLY be in stock rather than just tiny little batches being sent to Amazon? I have Amazon Prime. I need to be able to order these through Amazon so that I can do a free return if they don't work well for my tastes. I want to be able to compare them side-by-side with my X2HR's so I can see if these improve on the issues I have with those while being easily-driven enough from my laptop and my Hiby R3, and I want to be able to return them for free if they don't work out for me. So I'm seriously wondering why it's taking so long for Amazon to properly and consistently get them in stock.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #1,504 of 2,621
Hi! I got my pair of 560s a few days ago. At home i use them with an old Yamaha AX-590 and i like the sound of this combination. I never used any headphone amp or dac before and I’m curious if i get a portable dac will it be similar experience like when it’s playing trough the Yamaha? I mean power and dynamics.
I would like to use it with my iphone sometimes, but i feel like it’s just not powerful enough to drive it properly. Also what media player would you recommend on ios for flac?

I gave it a go on fps games and i can confirm it is a good choice for gaming.

I also tried it with my dj controller(ddj-800) because why not 🤪 and i found it lacking some bass compared to the amp which I found interesting because yamaha amps are usually on the bright side.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,506 of 2,621
Happy to try and explain myself.

I too think it's an excellent dac in many ways. Certainly has that special Chord sense of timing and rhythm.

If paired with a smooth full sounding amp it should be fine with the HD560S. (Have yet to try this sort of combination with these headphones)

My comment was having heard the HD560S straight out of the Mojo.

I just find these headphones so revealing, it helps if you know you like the sound of whatever it's plugged into because they let you hear that, good or bad/to your taste or not to your taste.
Paired with Fiio M11
20201214_202128.jpg

Dec 19, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #1,507 of 2,621
How would you guys say the 560s do with stuff like TV shows and movies?

Also, it JUST WENT OUT OF STOCK on Amazon (United States) after being in stock for only one day! To the Sennheiser reps monitoring this thread--When will it be back in stock, and when will it start to CONSISTENTLY be in stock rather than just tiny little batches being sent to Amazon? I have Amazon Prime. I need to be able to order these through Amazon so that I can do a free return if they don't work well for my tastes. I want to be able to compare them side-by-side with my X2HR's so I can see if these improve on the issues I have with those while being easily-driven enough from my laptop and my Hiby R3, and I want to be able to return them for free if they don't work out for me. So I'm seriously wondering why it's taking so long for Amazon to properly and consistently get them in stock.

At this point, probably will be back early next year. More firm dates to come.

Sennheiser actually produced thousands more units than usual for a launch, and they still all sold out. Same for the second batch. It’s no surprise that an affordable, mid-fi headphone turned out to be very popular while people are working remote and from home more than ever before. So, just like next gen game consoles and moderate sized TVs, Sennheiser made as many as they can, but making them still takes time, and these unusual times have created more demand than ever and (with worker safety and social distancing) more limits to how many can be produced.

I know Sennheiser is thankful for your interest beyond the first two batches that have reached completion!

To help with your other questions, such as driving the headphone from your laptop: the HD 560S is specified as having 110 dB/Vrms sensitivity, and 120 Ω impedance. That’s a moderate amount of resistance (helps dampen some noise in your laptop jack) and a fairly high sensitivity, so the HD 560S should be fairly easygoing with regards to your signal chain components (though of course, cleaner and clearer signal results in clearer and cleaner sound). Say you wanted the HD 560S to be able to reach a 110 decibel peak loudness, which is not a volume you would want to listen to for more than a minute, about as loud as a car horn if you’re standing outside 1 meter away. Your amp would need to be able to produce 8 mW, or 1 Volt RMS. Keep in mind that you probably (and should!) set your volume at an average between the 70’s and 80’s dB range, and loud moments are brief bursts, but at the end of the day these are truly mild full-size headphone amping requirements.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #1,508 of 2,621

Sennheiser actually produced thousands more units than usual for a launch, and they still all sold out. Same for the second batch. It’s no surprise that an affordable, mid-fi headphone turned out to be very popular while people are working remote and from home more than ever before. So, just like next gen game consoles and moderate sized TVs, Sennheiser made as many as they can, but making them still takes time, and these unusual times have created more demand than ever and (with worker safety and social distancing) more limits to how many can be produced.

I know Sennheiser is thankful for your interest beyond the first two batches that have reached completion!

Thank you. I'm hoping that "early next year" means early January but I get the sense that such hope may unfortunately be misplaced and I may have missed my chance to jump on this train 😕 I unfortunately only have until January 31st to decide if I want to return the Fidelio X2HR and trade it out for something else, so things are coming down to the wire when it comes to trying to find something that doesn't have earpads I find itchy and which I like the sound of at least as much. But I understand that the demand has been so high that you haven't been able to get and keep these in stock as much as you thought you would, and you can't control that.

What is the return-policy for Sennheiser's own online store (just in case they end up in-stock on there sooner than on Amazon)? I was able to read the policy, but what I'm trying to figure out is how much money I'd lose if I bought the headphones from Senn directly only to end up having to return them. I'm assuming I'd be responsible for paying the return shipping? I wonder how much that would cost from my current location in New England.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,509 of 2,621

To help with your other questions, such as driving the headphone from your laptop: the HD 560Sis specified as having 110 dB/Vrms sensitivity, and 120 Ω impedance. That’s a moderate amount of resistance (helps dampen some noise in your laptop jack) and a fairly high sensitivity, so the HD 560S should be fairly easygoing with regards to your signal chain components (though of course, cleaner and clearer signal results in clearer and cleaner sound). Say you wanted the HD 560S to be able to reach a 110 decibel peak loudness, which is not a volume you would want to listen to for more than a minute, about as loud as a car horn if you’re standing outside 1 meter away. Your amp would need to be able to produce 6 mW, or .85 Volts RMS. Keep in mind that you probably (and should!) set your volume at an average between the 70’s and 80’s dB range, and loud moments are brief bursts, but at the end of the day these are truly mild full-size headphone amping requirements.
Awesomely professional reply! :beerchug:

Dec 19, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #1,510 of 2,621
Thank you. I'm hoping that "early next year" means early January but I get the sense that such hope may unfortunately be misplaced and I may have missed my chance to jump on this train 😕 I unfortunately only have until January 31st to decide if I want to return the Fidelio X2HR and trade it out for something else, so things are coming down to the wire when it comes to trying to find something that doesn't have earpads I find itchy and which I like the sound of at least as much. But I understand that the demand has been so high that you haven't been able to get and keep these in stock as much as you thought you would, and you can't control that.

What is the return-policy for Sennheiser's own online store (just in case they end up in-stock on there sooner than on Amazon)? I was able to read the policy, but what I'm trying to figure out is how much money I'd lose if I bought the headphones from Senn directly only to end up having to return them. I'm assuming I'd be responsible for paying the return shipping? I wonder how much that would cost from my current location in New England.
Here is a link to the official, up to date return policy. https://en-us.sennheiser.com/returns-cancellations

I’ve got an HD 560S, obviously I can’t tell for sure if you’ll like it, but is there anything specifically I could test for you and comment on with impressions?

Awesomely professional reply! :beerchug:
🥰 Just chiming in and doing what I can. Happy holidays!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,511 of 2,621
@goodyfresh So, I reached out to a product manager at Sennheiser, and he says the USA/NA area is meant to get more inventory before the end of the year.

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #1,512 of 2,621
Here is a link to the official, up to date return policy. https://en-us.sennheiser.com/returns-cancellations

I’ve got an HD 560S, obviously I can’t tell for sure if you’ll like it, but is there anything specifically I could test for you and comment on with impressions?

🥰 Just chiming in and doing what I can. Happy holidays!

Oh, thank you! Well, the main thing I was looking for is comparisons to the Fidelio X2HR, and a few people with both headphones have already given their input. It sounds like this has a bit less bass and more of an analytical signature, with more detail and clarity in return, as well as a somewhat narrower but in exchange deeper soundstage.

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is how good this will be as an "all-rounder" for not just music, but movies and TV too. I love the X2HR for music, but I ADORE it for movies and TV. I'm wondering if the more analytical sound of the HD560s might prove a bit TOO analytical for movies and TV and suck a bit of the "excitement" out of them.

The other thing I'm concerned about is velour pads. The X2HR are my first headphones with velour pads, and while some days they're fine, other days they are INCREDIBLY ITCHY and irritating for my skin. It's unpredictable; it has nothing to do with oil on my skin, as I shower every day like any self-respecting person LOL. But, people here have said that the velour material in the 560s pads seems to be better quality, and that while they got itchiness with the X2HR, they don't with the 560s. Happy holidays to you as well!

@goodyfresh So, I reached out to a product manager at Sennheiser, and he says the USA/NA area is meant to get more inventory before the end of the year.

Thank you so much! I will be keeping my eye out for it. I really appreciate your prompt and info-packed replies. You are so professional, which doesn't surprise me as it's what I would've expected from a company like Sennheiser 😊

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #1,513 of 2,621
You’re welcome!
I was a headphone fan first, and after 8 years on Head-Fi, Sennheiser picked me because they liked the way I wrote :) You never know how your passions will pay off!

There are a couple schools of thought on picking an “all-rounder.” An argument that could be made in favor of the HD 560S is that by being linear, balanced, and not emphasizing a particular frequency or trait, would be that it only provides the music/movie audio producer’s emphasis and none (or very little) of its own. Very little is emphasized or recessed. There is also little chance that a producer’s choice of emphasis won’t be magnified by the headphone’s coloration, and break past limits and cause distortion. In the case of the HD 560S, it’s worth also keeping in mind that just because the bass and treble aren’t emphasized, they’re also not weak and de-emphasized... in fact, the more linear extension into deep sub bass is pretty unusual in an open-backed headphone. A headphone that is cold and clinical usually has more emphasis on upper mids and treble, with a de-emphasis on bass.

An argument for something with a bit more of a “designer” sound with intentional colorations, like the HD 559 or HD 599, could be that the user simply prefers more bass or more of an “exciting” v-shape, no matter what they’re listening to. Sort of like adding more salt to food, the moderate V-shape of the HD 599’s pitch emphasis might add excitement to a movie’s action scene or add a richness to an otherwise muted “talking heads” scene, but sometimes a soft, tender moment might seem too energetic. Hyperacusis is also a thing, and maybe someone might need the sensitivity of upper mid or treble ranges reduced to keep from irritating their ears (for example, some people are extra sensitive to “ess” sibilant sounds in the 6 kHz to 7 kHz range), or they need to listen for a long time.

Honestly, I used to “seek the grail” and only keep one headphone at a time while I climbed looking for the most reference, transparent sounding headphone (which, for me, culminated in an HD 800 about a year before I started doing contract work for Sennheiser), but these days I’ve spread out and collected a wide breadth of signatures. As the name implies, a “reference” headphone makes for a good reference and it makes sense that everyone should have or at least try one... but at the same time, audio is an art, and the objective for most consumers is to listen for entertainment, so whatever makes you happy :)

When it comes to what earpad material a headphone is “wearing,” I’ve definitely found it to be the case that not all velour is make equal. Sometimes the toothy “bristles” are longer and stiffer, like a bunch of tiny needles poking at your skin, but Sennheiser’s velour is one of the better ones with shorter pile and a good amount of give.

For me, I have a bit of sensitive skin (rosacea), and the pads don’t quite reach the level of “forget I’m wearing them.” Sennheiser headphones also tend to have a “snug” amount of clamp. However, the velour is about as comfortable as a new hoodie sweater, the snug fit keeps the headphone secure from sliding around or feeling like it will fall off while not creating pressure points (My hair-thinning head is particularly relieved that there is a divot at the center of the headband to eliminate pressure there), and combine that with the exceptionally low weight, the HD 560S and many Sennheiser headphones have a lot going for them when it comes to comfort. I’m not kidding when I say I’ve worn my PC37X and HD 660S for eight or ten hours straight on several occasions, and I’m looking forward to getting familiar with my HD 560S. I think I’ll put up a video on my Evshrug YouTube channel (and post it on Head-Fi) describing how it fits into the Sennheiser lineup.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #1,514 of 2,621
You’re welcome!
I was a headphone fan first, and after 8 years on Head-Fi, Sennheiser picked me because they liked the way I wrote :) You never know how your passions will pay off!

There are a couple schools of thought on picking an “all-rounder.” An argument that could be made in favor of the HD 560S is that by being linear, balanced, and not emphasizing a particular frequency or trait, would be that it only provides the music/movie audio producer’s emphasis and none (or very little) of its own. Very little is emphasized or recessed. There is also little chance that a producer’s choice of emphasis won’t be magnified by the headphone’s coloration, and break past limits and cause distortion. In the case of the HD 560S, it’s worth also keeping in mind that just because the bass and treble aren’t emphasized, they’re also not weak and de-emphasized... in fact, the more linear extension into deep sub bass is pretty unusual in an open-backed headphone. A headphone that is cold and clinical usually has more emphasis on upper mids and treble, with a de-emphasis on bass.

An argument for something with a bit more of a “designer” sound with intentional colorations, like the HD 559 or HD 599, could be that the user simply prefers more bass or more of an “exciting” v-shape, no matter what they’re listening to. Sort of like adding more salt to food, the moderate V-shape of the HD 599’s pitch emphasis might add excitement to a movie’s action scene or add a richness to an otherwise muted “talking heads” scene, but sometimes a soft, tender moment might seem too energetic. Hyperacusis is also a thing, and maybe someone might need the sensitivity of upper mid or treble ranges reduced to keep from irritating their ears (for example, some people are extra sensitive to “ess” sibilant sounds in the 6 kHz to 7 kHz range), or they need to listen for a long time.

Honestly, I used to “seek the grail” and only keep one headphone at a time while I climbed looking for the most reference, transparent sounding headphone (which, for me, culminated in an HD 800 about a year before I started doing contract work for Sennheiser), but these days I’ve spread out and collected a wide breadth of signatures. As the name implies, a “reference” headphone makes for a good reference and it makes sense that everyone should have or at least try one... but at the same time, audio is an art, and the objective for most consumers is to listen for entertainment, so whatever makes you happy :)

When it comes to what earpad material a headphone is “wearing,” I’ve definitely found it to be the case that not all velour is make equal. Sometimes the toothy “bristles” are longer and stiffer, like a bunch of tiny needles poking at your skin, but Sennheiser’s velour is one of the better ones with shorter pile and a good amount of give.

For me, I have a bit of sensitive skin (rosacea), and the pads don’t quite reach the level of “forget I’m wearing them.” Sennheiser headphones also tend to have a “snug” amount of clamp. However, the velour is about as comfortable as a new hoodie sweater, the snug fit keeps the headphone secure from sliding around or feeling like it will fall off while not creating pressure points (My hair-thinning head is particularly relieved that there is a divot at the center of the headband to eliminate pressure there), and combine that with the exceptionally low weight, the HD 560S and many Sennheiser headphones have a lot going for them when it comes to comfort. I’m not kidding when I say I’ve worn my PC37X and HD 660S for eight or ten hours straight on several occasions, and I’m looking forward to getting familiar with my HD 560S. I think I’ll put up a video on my Evshrug YouTube channel (and post it on Head-Fi) describing how it fits into the Sennheiser lineup.
Very nice post. I can see why Sennheiser brought you on board.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #1,515 of 2,621

That is good news. I hope Amazon.ca is on that list :pray:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back