The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,338 of 2,621
Got mine in this morning, everyone is painting this as a unicorn phone, is it?

Ok so I have had many 5 series cans, 598, 599 and 569 I believe. This sounds nothing like them, this is more of a studio can, this reminds me most of my cd900st, neutral, great bass, full mids and beautiful painless treble.

I only have around 6 hrs on this, I decided in the first 5 mins that I was keeping them.

So yes very impressed with these, it's an odd release imo as it may signal the end of the consumer oriented 5 series but I welcome these whole heartedly.

If the 560s is more of a studio can, what are the 598/599?

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,340 of 2,621
Interesting

Why not tho?

Perhaps its personal taste, but when listening to music, I usually like to EQ down 500hz-2khz 3-4db, shelf boost the bass at 70-90hz 3-4db, and treble at 5-7k 3-4db. With the 560s, no matter how much I EQ, that mid/treble region stick out. It's also a bit dry and uncolored (to some, they may call that a "cold" trait). This is not a bad thing, of course. Just my opinion.

When just listening to music: Sony 1000MX3's/XB900N, Koss Porta-Pro/KPH30, ATH-M50x/M40x, B&O H6, & AirPods.

When working on music: Shure SRH-840, ATH-M50x/M40, Sennheiser HD300 Pro, HD600/6xx (retired since I got the Sundara), Sundara, and now the HD560s.

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #1,341 of 2,621
I think I have to take back everything I said about the 560S being a correction for the 600. It’s just not. I just got a new version 600 in and it’s just so clear, fast, dynamic and handles the busy shouty sections of Beethoven with a lot more effortlessness. The 560S could get a bit congested and lack dynamics/separation when things get really busy and shouty. 560S seems to be able to handle one or the other but not both well. The 600 doesn’t sound as closed in as the old one to me from memory either. I’m not hearing any peakiness from it also, as I used to. Very strange, but I’m also very happy with it so far.

Still keeping the 560S for DAP fun though

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #1,342 of 2,621
I think I have to take back everything I said about the 560S being a correction for the 600. It’s just not. I just got a new version 600 in and it’s just so clear, fast, dynamic and handles the busy shouty sections of Beethoven with a lot more effortlessness. The 560S could get a bit congested and lack dynamics/separation when things get really busy and shouty. 560S seems to be able to handle one or the other but not both well. The 600 doesn’t sound as closed in as the old one to me from memory either. I’m not hearing any peakiness from it also, as I used to. Very strange, but I’m also very happy with it so far.

I have the new 600 as well and so far it’s my favorite headphone. I like the 560s but the sound signature of the 600 is so hard to beat.

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #1,343 of 2,621
I have the new 600 as well and so far it’s my favorite headphone. I like the 560s but the sound signature of the 600 is so hard to beat.

Yeah it’s making me wonder what I’ll be using the 6XX for. Good probs to have :)

Nov 4, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #1,348 of 2,621

ta....da....!!!!!

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #1,350 of 2,621
So now I have the 560S, 600, 660S and next week I will have the 6XX. The 600 is my baby forever but I will be returning either the 560s, 660S or 6XX as I can't afford them all.
This is actually my second time owning the 660S as I returned it because I like the 600 better but I missed the imaging and soundstage of the 660S. Today I was comparing all three and I like them all for different reasons. Since this is a 560s thread I will concentrate on it in comparison to the others.
Where I feel the 560s shines in definitely in comfort. It is by far the most comfortable for my head compared to the others.
Soundstage wise it is definitely wider than 600 and 660S. Imaging is not as good as the 660S though but close.
Sound wise its the thinest sounding but has the most clearest and open sound. It has so much room to breath then the other two headphones. Where the 560S shines in my opinion is music that is already warm sounding i.e Comfortably numb by Pink Floyd. Everything about the 560S sound so crisp, open and defined. Just beautify sounding. But music that is not warm sounding like AC/DC does not sound good with these headphones. The treble is too much and it causes the vocals and cymbals to sound very harsh and unpleasant. Everything can sound metallic and tinny. This is where the 660S and 600 sound so much better IMO. This is where I can't decide if I want to keep the 560S or not as it's only good for warm sounding music if that makes sense.
Anyways my thought may change the more I compare and once my 6XX arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back