The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #1,096 of 2,621
Sound leakage is high on both as they are both open back headphones, but the sundara's is 100%. It's a planar magnetic, the back side of the headphone produces the same sound as the inside of the headphone as the driver is flat vs. a dynamic driver is a cone shape.

The 560s wins over the Sundara in terms of comfort, gaming, and tonality.
The Sundara wins over the 560s in terms of sound stage, precision, detail, resolution, and clarity.

I think the reason I'm having such a tough time choosing one is they are both quite different.

Thank you!

How about the question on volume performance? Which one sound fuller/better at low/medium listening?

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,098 of 2,621
One issue I have with the build. I wish they used the pleather wrapped headband of the 598/599, instead of the plastic headband of other 5 series.

I owned the pc37x for a time and it had the same headband, and the plastic scratches very easily. There were a ton of micro scratches within a few weeks, and I take really good care of my headphones. Already see a few tiny scratches on the 560s headband.

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #1,099 of 2,621
So my 560S finally arrived today and my first impressions are really good. I am using a Fiio K5 Pro for DAC/AMP.
These headphones do remind me soundstage / imaging wise of my HD660S that I returned a few weeks ago. The reason I returned the 660S was mainly because I did not like the mid bass and the timbre but I absolutely loved the soundstage and imaging. I just didn't want to pay that price for those features alone.
The 560S timbre and mid bass is better then the 660S in my opinion so this is a major win for me.
Regarding the treble I do notice on a few songs it can become a little too bright but I would not call this an issue at all. I just returned my DT990 and DT1990 because the treble tortured me for every song I heard. I now know I do not like Beyerdynamic headphones because of the treble.
My HD600 though still has this magic that I have I never heard on another headphone before including the 560S. It is just so full body sounding with the perfect timber but the three blob soundstage is its downfall, but maybe that's why it sounds so good IDK.
Comfort wise the 560S is very comfortable. No complaints here.
Anyways my opinions may change in the next few day as I have only had a few hours with them.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #1,102 of 2,621
So my 560S finally arrived today and my first impressions are really good. I am using a Fiio K5 Pro for DAC/AMP.
These headphones do remind me soundstage / imaging wise of my HD660S that I returned a few weeks ago. The reason I returned the 660S was mainly because I did not like the mid bass and the timbre but I absolutely loved the soundstage and imaging. I just didn't want to pay that price for those features alone.
The 560S timbre and mid bass is better then the 660S in my opinion so this is a major win for me.
Regarding the treble I do notice on a few songs it can become a little too bright but I would not call this an issue at all. I just returned my DT990 and DT1990 because the treble tortured me for every song I heard. I now know I do not like Beyerdynamic headphones because of the treble.
My HD600 though still has this magic that I have I never heard on another headphone before including the 560S. It is just so full sounding with the perfect timber but the three blob soundstage is its downfall, but maybe that's why it sounds so good IDK.
Comfort wise the 560S is very comfortable. No complaints here.
Anyways my opinions may change in the next few day as I have only had a few hours with them.
ya dt1990 and 660s aren't worth the price. surprised they even release such stuff at such a high price point like its deserved.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #1,106 of 2,621
If the 660s are anything like the 6xx in soundstage and imagining, then the 560s are nothing like them. Maybe his/her memory is foggy 😋

I'll compare the HD660S and HD560S soundstage the end of the week/this weekend.

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #1,107 of 2,621
One issue I have with the build. I wish they used the pleather wrapped headband of the 598/599, instead of the plastic headband of other 5 series.

I owned the pc37x for a time and it had the same headband, and the plastic scratches very easily. There were a ton of micro scratches within a few weeks, and I take really good care of my headphones. Already see a few tiny scratches on the 560s headband.

Posted the same a few pages ago lol

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #1,108 of 2,621
If the 660s are anything like the 6xx in soundstage and imagining, then the 560s are nothing like them. Maybe his/her memory is foggy 😋
what I said was the 560S soundstage and imaging is close to 660S. This from memory though.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #1,109 of 2,621
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/

Comparing the 560s vs. other open back headphones with the Harman Target, I was surprised to see that the 560s is very close to the 2018 harman curve according to those measurements all the way up till 9 khz.
Would that be the IEF Neutral Target?

I compared with the AKG371 (which I own) that are said to be really close to the Harman target, and the difference seems to be more bass (AKG371) and treble (the HD560S has several db more treble between 3k-5k).

Everything I see graph-wise about these make me a bit hesitant about the treble response, since that part does seem elevated. But I would have to hear for myself. I know I had problems with the DT770's, but their elevation is at 6k, so it's not the same.. Difficult all this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back