The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 21, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #1,066 of 2,621
In fairness, this is how the manufacturer officially positions it as well; pretty sure I’ve seen Sennheiser explicitly in this thread imply if not directly say it is positioned lower than the 6 line and they would certainly not say it is higher resolution than their HD 660S, would they? 😊

No, they wouldn't say it.
Think about it (people would stop buying 600,6xx,660s).
Everything anyone says you have to think it over and make up your own mind.

For example: If you KNOW that you like 560s more then 6xx nobody can't tell you otherwise

Anyway, it doesn't matter. It is a good headphone and it will sell.
Bottom line: just enjoy it.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,067 of 2,621
Can somebody please compare stock HD560S with the HD598 or HD599 that have been EQ'd to oratory1990's EQ preset here: HD598 or HD599?

I have the HD598 and I find the elevated midbass/lower mids too forward out of the box but when EQ'd it sounds very good actually.

So I wonder how much of an improvement the HD560S would be over EQ'd HD598/599 and in what regard.

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,068 of 2,621
Which is better suited for low to medium listening volumes in your opinion? Also, I'm very interested in the sound leakage from both models.

I vastly prefer Sennheiser over Hifiman in terms of brand and product execution (in fact, I prefer the design and form factor of the 560s over the Sundara's), but if the Sundara is a much superior headphone in those regards, I may reconsider it.

Sound leakage is high on both as they are both open back headphones, but the sundara's is 100%. It's a planar magnetic, the back side of the headphone produces the same sound as the inside of the headphone as the driver is flat vs. a dynamic driver is a cone shape.

The 560s wins over the Sundara in terms of comfort, gaming, and tonality.
The Sundara wins over the 560s in terms of sound stage, precision, detail, resolution, and clarity.

I think the reason I'm having such a tough time choosing one is they are both quite different.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,069 of 2,621
"keep in mind that the HD560 Sis still an HD5xx class headphone. As such, we are talking about lower-fidelity sound. Less precision, less clarity, lower resolution, somewhat weaksauce presentation "
lol, judging something based on the series it is put in. Imagine someone creates a HD800s like sounding headphone but puts it in the shell of another and calls it a different name and reduces price. Bet that guy will say it has lower resolution then too.
That's exactly what I reacted to, as well. But since there are no examples provided the words don't really mean anything. What is "resolution" for instance? What is clarity? What is "presentation"?

Oluv plays songs and compares to other headphones, which we can hear playing the same songs, then immediately comments on how he perceives the differences. That to me is serious. On a forum one could for instance post songs and say "at 3.01 there's this cymbal which sounds that way on headphone X, but different in this way on headphone Y, and that is why I think the former has more clarity" or something.

I think a lot of people are pre-judging the 560s based on it sharing the same design as the 5 series. I mentioned bias being impossible to avoid in this hobby before. If you go into it thinking "well this is a 5 series so it's definitely lower fidelity than any 6 series", that bias will always have a way of coloring your subjective sound impressions. Your brain hears what you want it to hear to an extent.

This hobby is so weird sometimes, many can just be insufferable lol. They will find reasons to hate on anything new that comes along, especially if it's getting early praise and is being compared to legends like the 650. I don't get the need to tear down people who Are enjoying something, but whatever. I still remember making a post on reddit about how I loved the 58x so much, and got several responses telling me it has "trash detail" and "your ears must be broken". Ok 🤣

Don't forget the 58x's have a "grainy" treble too, apparently! It's probably a "night and day difference" compared to more expensive headphones, too!

I really hope the HD560S are good, and if so I might buy a pair if they go on sale sometime. I like my 58X, but I would love for them to be just a tad more comfortable!

Also, when comparing sound I find it interesting at what volume people listen to their cans. I listen on a very low volume, so subtle differences could be lost on me, I guess.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #1,071 of 2,621
"keep in mind that the HD560 Sis still an HD5xx class headphone. As such, we are talking about lower-fidelity sound. Less precision, less clarity, lower resolution, somewhat weaksauce presentation "
lol, judging something based on the series it is put in. Imagine someone creates a HD800s like sounding headphone but puts it in the shell of another and calls it a different name and reduces price. Bet that guy will say it has lower resolution then too.

I agree.That evaluation is a poor conceptualization of "lower-fidelity sound" that seems to be biased towards a pre-existing love for HD6 series headphones. How come soundstage doesn't matter? The HD560S actually has separation between instruments on the left and right. lol

And then how come bass extension doesn't matter? Crinacle just posted his measurements. The HD560S fairly linear bass extension down to 20hz is impressive for a dynamic driver headphone!
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/

So I've only had the HD560S for 24 hours. But I would say that they deserve equal consideration to the HD6 series for anyone looking for general recommendations on what headphones to consider.

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,075 of 2,621
the hd600 series is heavily overrated. they are midrange cannons. and what i mean by that is they have no real bass or treble extension which is what the whole sennheiser veil is about. the sennheiser hd58x hilariously has a better bass extension than 600/650/660s. if all your headphones have to offer is midrange then they are very limited in their fun factor and all honesty usefulness. they are junk headphones in my opinion and i dont enjoy them at all. it would be a foolish mistake to pedestalize them and act like their outdated and very limited sound is the best you can look forward to.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,076 of 2,621
the hd600 series is heavily overrated. they are midrange cannons. and what i mean by that is they have no real bass or treble extension which is what the whole sennheiser veil is about. the sennheiser hd58x hilariously has a better bass extension than 600/650/660s. if all your headphones have to offer is midrange then they are very limited in their fun factor and all honesty usefulness. they are junk headphones in my opinion and i dont enjoy them at all. it would be a foolish mistake to pedestalize them and act like their outdated and very limited sound is the best you can look forward to.

so i assume you like clarity, air and more of a v-shapped sound?

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #1,077 of 2,621
so i assume you like clarity, air and more of a v-shapped sound?
hd600 and 650 arguably have a frequency range of 200Hz to 5kHz. they are rolled off significantly in the highs and lows. so they arent even really flat like people claim its just hard to see for a lot of people who dont realize how poorly voiced they are. its not so much that i like v-shaped as it is that they arent really even flat. the 660s take it a step farther by decreasing presence limiting them even farther. they are literally terrible headphones. its like sennheiser cant stop muting their sound to oblivion.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #1,079 of 2,621
]
Can somebody please compare stock HD560S with the HD598 or HD599 that have been EQ'd to oratory1990's EQ preset here: HD598 or HD599?

I have the HD598 and I find the elevated midbass/lower mids too forward out of the box but when EQ'd it sounds very good actually.

So I wonder how much of an improvement the HD560S would be over EQ'd HD598/599 and in what regard.

I don’t think there’s any point in comparing the 560S to the other 5 series line headphones. I’ve owned the 598 and 569 and they don’t even begin to come close

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #1,080 of 2,621
hd600 and 650 arguably have a frequency range of 200Hz to 5kHz. they are rolled off significantly in the highs and lows. so they arent even really flat like people claim its just hard to see for a lot of people who dont realize how poorly voiced they are. its not so much that i like v-shaped as it is that they arent really even flat. the 660s take it a step farther by decreasing presence limiting them even farther. they are literally terrible headphones. its like sennheiser cant stop muting their sound to oblivion.

Your YouTube vids were some of the worst pieces of garbage I’ve ever seen in my life. You think any of us that have seen those vids are gonna listen to you in here? Take your cool self to the Beyer threads and spew there

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back