The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 20, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #1,053 of 2,621
...being the 371 vastly superior. basically it's the same signature without the obvious flaws of the German model. More, infinite extension in the lows, warmer and nearer voice reproduction, a wonderful dip from 4 to 5 khz to compensate the concha gain, a pleasant raise at 6 to 8 khz, and the same extension as the hd560s. Lesser clamping force, better punch and presence, the same precise image while not as wide but more deep for sure. all this in a thrash design that will break in a week. but sonically speaking they are the best closed back under 500 euro, for me. A BTR5 let the can explode in an incredibly dynamic and colorful musical show.

You're funny.

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #1,057 of 2,621
lol this guy got me hyped by saying the soundstage on the hd560s is close to hd800 but then trashes everything else: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...ser-hd560s-review-the-new-standard-not.10040/

A common theme seemed to be that the HD560S was not intended for the likes of them. I didn't quite get why or what their specific preferences were. Someone noted that they wouldn't sound neutral due to the potentially harsh treble; someone said that they wouldn't provide such high definition as proper headphones. This is all coming from people who think the HD650 is great (according to some signatures).

I get the feeling sound and the "definition, detail, accuracy, whatever" to many seem to be a combination first and foremost of price+FR graphs+opinion of peers. The last thing is the actual sound.

Now, I have never listened to very expensive headphones nor even the HD600 series outside of my HD58X, but I find all these claims of "the [affordable headphone] is amazing for its price, but of course it's no [more expensive headphone]!" dubious.

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #1,058 of 2,621
A common theme seemed to be that the HD560S was not intended for the likes of them. I didn't quite get why or what their specific preferences were. Someone noted that they wouldn't sound neutral due to the potentially harsh treble; someone said that they wouldn't provide such high definition as proper headphones. This is all coming from people who think the HD650 is great (according to some signatures).

I get the feeling sound and the "definition, detail, accuracy, whatever" to many seem to be a combination first and foremost of price+FR graphs+opinion of peers. The last thing is the actual sound.

Now, I have never listened to very expensive headphones nor even the HD600 series outside of my HD58X, but I find all these claims of "the [affordable headphone] is amazing for its price, but of course it's no [more expensive headphone]!" dubious.

Something I noticed lately is a lot of people seem to bash and dismiss headphones that have a sound signature that isn't exactly what they want or what the group they follow says they want. There seems to be a prevalent mentality acting like all new headphones should sound similar and anything different or doesn't meet their 'standards' is trash. While this may satisfy the vocal group, it also isolates many others who may not agree with them or those who simply like variety.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #1,060 of 2,621

The guy that wrote that review is the ring leader and influences all of their thinking. He is very arrogant and dismissive. Whilst a agree with a most of his opinions he does let his own ego get in the way a lot of the time.

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #1,062 of 2,621
lol this guy got me hyped by saying the soundstage on the hd560s is close to hd800 but then trashes everything else: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...ser-hd560s-review-the-new-standard-not.10040/
"keep in mind that the HD560 Sis still an HD5xx class headphone. As such, we are talking about lower-fidelity sound. Less precision, less clarity, lower resolution, somewhat weaksauce presentation "
lol, judging something based on the series it is put in. Imagine someone creates a HD800s like sounding headphone but puts it in the shell of another and calls it a different name and reduces price. Bet that guy will say it has lower resolution then too.

Oct 21, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #1,063 of 2,621
"keep in mind that the HD560 Sis still an HD5xx class headphone. As such, we are talking about lower-fidelity sound. Less precision, less clarity, lower resolution, somewhat weaksauce presentation "
lol, judging something based on the series it is put in. Imagine someone creates a HD800s like sounding headphone but puts it in the shell of another and calls it a different name and reduces price. Bet that guy will say it has lower resolution then too.
I think a lot of people are pre-judging the 560s based on it sharing the same design as the 5 series. I mentioned bias being impossible to avoid in this hobby before. If you go into it thinking "well this is a 5 series so it's definitely lower fidelity than any 6 series", that bias will always have a way of coloring your subjective sound impressions. Your brain hears what you want it to hear to an extent.

I had the same bias initially. The first day I also felt that while really good, this 560s is clearly not as good as my 6xx. The more I listen to it though and swap between the two, the more it becomes apparent that the 560s is actually on the same level, and with it's soundstage advantage I could see many preferring it.

I also just want to note that while I love the 6xx/650, we also shouldn't pretend that it's not a fairly warm and syrupy headphone to most people. Many adore it and have become accustomed to its sound and view it as reference. I agree that it's basically a legend, but again it's warm and many on first impressions would say it's "veiled" and such. Writing the 560s off because it doesn't share the same warmth and is less mid forward seems silly.

This hobby is so weird sometimes, many can just be insufferable lol. They will find reasons to hate on anything new that comes along, especially if it's getting early praise and is being compared to legends like the 650. I don't get the need to tear down people who Are enjoying something, but whatever. I still remember making a post on reddit about how I loved the 58x so much, and got several responses telling me it has "trash detail" and "your ears must be broken". Ok 🤣

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #1,064 of 2,621
I think a lot of people are pre-judging the 560s based on it sharing the same design as the 5 series. I mentioned bias being impossible to avoid in this hobby before. If you go into it thinking "well this is a 5 series so it's definitely lower fidelity than any 6 series", that bias will always have a way of coloring your subjective sound impressions. Your brain hears what you want it to hear to an extent.

I had the same bias initially. The first day I also felt that while really good, this 560s is clearly not as good as my 6xx. The more I listen to it though and swap between the two, the more it becomes apparent that the 560s is actually on the same level, and with it's soundstage advantage I could see many preferring it.

I also just want to note that while I love the 6xx/650, we also shouldn't pretend that it's not a fairly warm and syrupy headphone to most people. Many adore it and have become accustomed to its sound and view it as reference. I agree that it's basically a legend, but again it's warm and many on first impressions would say it's "veiled" and such. Writing the 560s off because it doesn't share the same warmth and is less mid forward seems silly.

This hobby is so weird sometimes, many can just be insufferable lol. They will find reasons to hate on anything new that comes along, especially if it's getting early praise and is being compared to legends like the 650. I don't get the need to tear down people who Are enjoying something, but whatever. I still remember making a post on reddit about how I loved the 58x so much, and got several responses telling me it has "trash detail" and "your ears must be broken". Ok 🤣

The HD 600/650 is a legend but the legend can have very strong defenders of it, I’ve never been a huge fan of them though as they were always love/hate headphones for me as I was never able to fully settle into their sound but I loved the sound of the HD 660 S despite the similar tuning and it had to do with how it presented the sound is why I liked it a lot more. I personally found the HD 660 S was the more resolving headphone compared to the HD 600/650. Some disagree and some agree, but that’s how this hobby is, there are numerous varying opinions and impressions.

I’ve heard a few of the HD 5xx line in the past and honestly the HD 560 S is clearly different in its sound characteristics compared to other headphones I’ve heard with this housing design. I don’t currently have a HD 600 or HD 650 to compare with nor have I owned the HD 560 S long enough to determine my long-term impressions of them.

This hobby can be frustrating and there are many who want to tell you what you’re hearing and dismiss any alternative viewpoints. It reminds me of politics sadly.

I’m coming from a headphone notably warmer sounding than the HD 650 when I switch to the HD 560 S and I don’t have any trouble settling into the HD 560 S and after the initial shock of the very different sound signature my ears adjust and get a better handle on the headphones actual fidelity. I don’t find the headphone lacking and even though it’s not as resolving as some of my other headphones it’s satisfying and I don’t find it leaving me wanting. A lot of headphones I’ve heard in this price range I find lacking and/or problematic in some way and I grow annoyed with them on long listening sessions, this isn’t the case with the HD 560 S so far.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #1,065 of 2,621

In fairness, this is how the manufacturer officially positions it as well; pretty sure I’ve seen Sennheiser explicitly in this thread imply if not directly say it is positioned lower than the 6 line and they would certainly not say it is higher resolution than their HD 660S, would they? 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back