The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 20, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #1,036 of 2,621
I owned the 599 previously. The 560s is a pretty big upgrade sound wise. The 599 will sound muddy in comparison due to its fairly large mid bass hump. 560s is cleaner, more neutral and has better treble.
Exacctly :beerchug:

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #1,037 of 2,621
Interested to hear your thoughts on the X3, especially against the 560s :)
Me also. Watching them both. Have the X2 and love them, while thinking of getting the X3. But all that good news on the 560s is tugging hard. Have had Sennheiser before and liked them except light bass. If the 560s have a touch more, I’m in. Hell, I will probably just get them both, and be danged.

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,039 of 2,621
Me also. Watching them both. Have the X2 and love them, while thinking of getting the X3. But all that good news on the 560s is tugging hard. Have had Sennheiser before and liked them except light bass. If the 560s have a touch more, I’m in. Hell, I will probably just get them both, and be danged.

I got the X3 yesterday and the HD 560S today.

The X3 is more HD6XX like. The HD560S it's more like HD 600 only with better bass extension and more soundstage.

I'm not trying to claim these are the same as those headphones or technical equivalents. In fact, they're not equivalents because the X3 and HD560s have something those other two headphones don't have: a sound stage that is not the HD6 series blob around your head.

Rather if you know you fall on one end of the spectrum of HD 650 to HD 600, then my guess is that's the one you would should try out of the two.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,040 of 2,621
Its another league..
...being the 371 vastly superior. basically it's the same signature without the obvious flaws of the German model. More, infinite extension in the lows, warmer and nearer voice reproduction, a wonderful dip from 4 to 5 khz to compensate the concha gain, a pleasant raise at 6 to 8 khz, and the same extension as the hd560s. Lesser clamping force, better punch and presence, the same precise image while not as wide but more deep for sure. all this in a thrash design that will break in a week. but sonically speaking they are the best closed back under 500 euro, for me. A BTR5 let the can explode in an incredibly dynamic and colorful musical show.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #1,041 of 2,621
560s has harsh treble
...being the 371 vastly superior. basically it's the same signature without the obvious flaws of the German model. More, infinite extension in the lows, warmer and nearer voice reproduction, a wonderful dip from 4 to 5 khz to compensate the concha gain, a pleasant raise at 6 to 8 khz, and the same extension as the hd560s. Lesser clamping force, better punch and presence, the same precise image while not as wide but more deep for sure. all this in a thrash design that will break in a week. but sonically speaking they are the best closed back under 500 euro, for me. A BTR5 let the can explode in an incredibly dynamic and colorful musical show.
"a wonderful dip from 4 to 5 khz to compensate the concha gain"
thats not supposed to be there as shown by their own harman target. they failed to follow their own target curve. excuses.

Attachments

• saasas.png
    saasas.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
Oct 20, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #1,042 of 2,621
560s has harsh treble

"a wonderful dip from 4 to 5 khz to compensate the concha gain"
thats not supposed to be there as shown by their own harman target. they failed to follow their own target curve. excuses.

Why don't you stick to your toxic YouTube videos and keep this place clean from that kind of mentality.
Thanks.

Oct 20, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,043 of 2,621
Curious on your thoughts in terms of comparing the Sundara, the HD 560S and the HD 650/6XX in terms of timbre?

I assume the HD 650 wins, but interested to know how things rank thereafter (and how closely).

You'd be correct, the 650 has the most natural timbre followed closely by the 560s. The Sundaras are last in timbre but still avoids sounding unnatural to me.

650 still excels in mid/vocal focused tracks bringing liveliness to vocals while the Sundaras sound excellent with string instruments and piano, giving them a nice clear and precise execution. The 560s is a nice middle ground between the two.

Oct 20, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,044 of 2,621
So, as my comparison continues with the Sundara vs. the 560s, I've found a few songs that really show their strengths/weaknesses.

For the Sundara's, the song Pneuma by Tool at 10:30 going into the guitars at 10:37, they shine. It's incredible to hear the detail of the effects that Tool uses on the heavily distorted guitars mixed with the drums.

The 560s seems to be missing the detail and clarity here and looses that incredible "live performance" effect/sound.

On the flip side, the song "Someone You Loved" by Lewis Capaldi is unbearable on the Sundaras. It's extremely shouty and harsh and painful, especially starting at 42 seconds, even with EQ, with any decent level of volume, it's unbearable.

The 560s sounds great on that song and is a perfect balance for my ears.

Which is better suited for low to medium listening volumes in your opinion? Also, I'm very interested in the sound leakage from both models.

I vastly prefer Sennheiser over Hifiman in terms of brand and product execution (in fact, I prefer the design and form factor of the 560s over the Sundara's), but if the Sundara is a much superior headphone in those regards, I may reconsider it.

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,046 of 2,621
When I had the HD660S I noticed that the music sounded bigger in size compared to my HD600. How does the 560S sound size wise compared to the 600?

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,048 of 2,621
I got the X3 yesterday and the HD 560S today.

The X3 is more HD6XX like. The HD560S it's more like HD 600 only with better bass extension and more soundstage.

I'm not trying to claim these are the same as those headphones or technical equivalents. In fact, they're not equivalents because the X3 and HD560s have something those other two headphones don't have: a sound stage that is not the HD6 series blob around your head.

Rather if you know you fall on one end of the spectrum of HD 650 to HD 600, then my guess is that's the one you would should try out of the two.
How is the soundstage on the 560s compared to the x3? Do they sound as open and wide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back