The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Oct 16, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #841 of 2,621
Very true. If you or anyone want to know what the HD560s kind of sounds like, you can become a patreon of "Oluv's gadgets". He makes the most accurate sound demos and released one for the HD560s yesterday. Or you can wait a few more days until he publishes the video for everyone.
From the demo I can say it sounds definitely more open than the HD58X but also A LOT brighter! It is actually on the verge of being piercing to my ears. Though it sounds more complete in general.

That's great news! Looking forward to him releasing that video very much. I have the HD58X, which are great, but a bit bassy and a tad uncomfortable at times (I wear them for several hours at end and think they might contribute to my headaches with their ghastly clamp). The 600s are too expensive for me and I don't want to get rid of subbass completely, so the 560S seem like a good option. The better comfort would be great. However, having had the 770s for a while I'm concerned about treble sharpness - that would be a definite deal-breaker for me.

Oluv is the one youtube reviewer I trust, especially since he demonstrates the actual sound and doesn't use audiophile terms to describe it.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #842 of 2,621
Very true. If you or anyone want to know what the HD560s kind of sounds like, you can become a patreon of "Oluv's gadgets". He makes the most accurate sound demos and released one for the HD560s yesterday. Or you can wait a few more days until he publishes the video for everyone.
From the demo I can say it sounds definitely more open than the HD58X but also A LOT brighter! It is actually on the verge of being piercing to my ears. Though it sounds more complete in general.

"Oluv's Gadgets"

So he's back to doing headphones again? I though he sold all his headphone measurement gear and got out of the Head Fi game. Then again, he did announce that on April 1st.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #843 of 2,621
I was going to order the HD6XX from Drop but now I can't decide if I should get the 560S instead. I already own the HD600. Which would you choose and why?

I would go 660s or something else like Sundara, 400i 2020, Sivga Phoenix

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #844 of 2,621
Whoever said these are bad build quality I highly disagree. I was actually turning them over in my hand earlier today and was really impressed by the design and craftsmanship of it. I really love the indented part on the outside cups, and I would prefer high quality plastic like this to anything else simply because of weight, which directly effect comfort. These are the only headphones I think I have ever owned that remain secure enough for me to move around without falling off while also feeling almost invisible on my head/able to wear for many many hours. Sure 1-2 grand headphones sound better, but I can't wear any of them for 12 hour sessions without issue like I can with this. That alone gives these headphones a huge thumbs up in my book.
But you talk about comfort and you're right about HD5-series being one of the most comfotable cans in the world. However when it comes to build quality that's definetly not the case. I've had many HD5 headphones and the built quality is mediocore at best. Sony use high quality plastics not Sennheiser. Depending on the unit some HD5 can be very squaky, rattly, some plastic parts are scratched out of the box from factory and all of them have cheapo plastic headband, which gets sctatched super easy and quick just from adjusting it.

- initial impression is that these sound like a 598/599 tuned to sound like a 58x. Swapping between the 58x and 560s, the sound signatures are extremely similar. The 560s however has more detail and clarity than the 598/599. Its closer to the 6 series, much like the 58x is.
The thing is 598 are very different than 599... one being mellow bass light, distorting at high volume, super wide soundstage. While the other more aggresive, less wide sondstage, much punchier bass with no issues at high volume and better detail retrival. To me 599 is very similarly tuned to 58X.

-The 560s is much better than the X2HR IMO. Wide soundstage with my preferred sound.
Haven't listened to new seens yet, however I think 560s are still enough different to X2HR just like 58X, 599, HD6, to own them both. X2HR have that airyness, openess to the sound being super wide no other senn have. Bass in fidelio's is also much more organic to any senn I've listened to.

So first some details (in my country)
HD559 = 70$
HD599 = 144$
HD560s = 240$
599's was for 99 euros on Prime Day few days ago, and I grabbed them last year's Prime Day for even less (79E at the time). I expect 560s to hit similar sale price next year. I'll happily snatch them at that price and have both for less than 200$ :)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #845 of 2,621
So he's back to doing headphones again? I though he sold all his headphone measurement gear and got out of the Head Fi game. Then again, he did announce that on April 1st.
Not really back. He does not have the time for it the way he did before. Thats why he also says in the video that his upcoming reviews will most likely be limited to patreon only content so that it is worth for him and the time it takes to make the content.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #846 of 2,621
I would go 660s or something else like Sundara, 400i 2020, Sivga Phoenix
It's funny you mention the Phoenix, as that's the other headphone that has my attention lately. I've been a HD598 user for close to a decade now, and am looking for an upgrade for music production as well as gaming. I'd especially like as much subbass extension as the price category will permit, as well as being relatively linear thru the rest of the frequency range (if anyone else has a recommendation under $400 please PM me).

The HD560s would seem to be the natural choice, but who knows. I did happen to find a comparison to the Phoenix here, although he did use to phone as his source, and the Phoenix are super easy to drive, so not really a fair fight.

https://gichow.com/2020/10/05/sivga-phoenix-v-sennheiser-hd560s-fight/

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #848 of 2,621
Due to it's unavailability and my urgent needs for a flat open midcentric can (i mix voices) my hd600 arrives tomorrow. This thread has an intermittent hype and reading opposite things I can't understand if the mids, distant or not, are on the cold side with less body and thin chest notes, warm like dt880 and k712; neutral hd600 and shp9500 or cold like ad700 or brighter open cans... everybody's sayin better or worse but it's an opinion.

It's definitely difficult trying to reconcile the different relative comparisons when people are using terms that are not absolute with any headphone. For instance, I would never call DT880 warm like you just did.

And then, of course, HTRF affects how sound interacts with each individual's ears, one's average listening volume may affect perceived difference due to equal loudness contours, the genres of media one listens to have their own emphasis that can affect interpretation, and then I think many of us listen for different aspects of mids, treble, and bass. All of which can result in slightly different interpretations when we are trying to compare neutralish headphones that can be more similar than different.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #849 of 2,621
Just picked mine up , As a newcomer to all this and coming from a pair of B&W P7 wired , These sound in a different league , So controlled and flat across the range , Can imagine listening with these for hours at a time , Unlike the P7's which became tiring after 30 mins . I recently bought a Topping DX7 Pro and was about to return it as I didn't think it was worth double the price of the Dragonfly Cobalt it replaced , But soon as hooked up the 560S it brought everything alive, so much detail and delivers it in such a calming manor. Easily the most comfortable headphone I've worn and for the money build quality is fine , In fact for the money there great value in all areas .

There's a track I've been listening to for around 50 years (Simon and Garfunkel Only living boy in New York ) that the P7s had me so frustrated with , The bass was muddy and just a complete mess , almost felt like the P7s were being overworked and just generally trying to keep up with things all the time , The 560s take the track all in its stride and delivers it with such ease and aplomb , Bass being the biggest improvement but way more detail and imaging .
As I type this I'm listening to 'The Who Baba O Riley' , Now I don't even particularly like the track , But these have my head shaking as I listen, Weird .
From a new comers perspective I really don't see how these can be beat for the price. Highly recommended !

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #850 of 2,621
The HD560s would seem to be the natural choice, but who knows. I did happen to find a comparison to the Phoenix here, although he did use to phone as his source, and the Phoenix are super easy to drive, so not really a fair fight.
Thanks. It would be interesting to see how 560s scales up with better amplification.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #851 of 2,621
It's definitely difficult trying to reconcile the different relative comparisons when people are using terms that are not absolute with any headphone. For instance, I would never call DT880 warm like you just did.

And then, of course, HTRF affects how sound interacts with each individual's ears, one's average listening volume may affect perceived difference due to equal loudness contours, the genres of media one listens to have their own emphasis that can affect interpretation, and then I think many of us listen for different aspects of mids, treble, and bass. All of which can result in slightly different interpretations when we are trying to compare neutralish headphones that can be more similar than different.
The mids of the dt880 are so warm that i can define them as mellow

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #853 of 2,621
Which DT 880? The Black/Chrome Editions are tuned differently than the normal ones.
The pro normal ones has a recession in the upper mids and a small raise in the low mids that makes the voices a little bit far from the scene. The black special are not my cup of tea. The mids of a well amped pair of hd6xx or k712 are the closest to neutral I've ever listened (and i had 114 pairs). I'd prefer a more linear mid response with light bass and soft treble. I work with classical voices, the reproduction of their natural timbre is what i'm searching for.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #854 of 2,621
Oct 16, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #855 of 2,621
You just made my point even further. Relative terms such as warmth are somewhat fuzzy. And in your case, you're using it to describe mids, which is not how it's commonly understood by most people. See Head-Fi sound term glossary for the more common understanding

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/describing-sound-a-glossary.220770/
I didn't use that term to describe the whole signature, only the mids. And the high mids in the 880 are hidden between the low mids (warm) and the highs (prominent). Is it clear now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back