The New HD 560S: Linear Acoustics at a Breakthrough Value
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #2,101 of 2,621
It's interesting how price seems to dominate discussions rather than the tuning of headphones...both in comparisons to other headphones and which gear might or is an appropriate match...

The HD560s are indeed some of the best-tuned headphones out there if you want truly flat/neutral sound, but the thing is that there are a lot of *TECHNICALITIES* with headphones that have nothing to do with tuning. Things like driver-speed determining detail resolution, the soundstage and imaging capabilities that come from properties like weighted group delay, phase-matching, and pinnae-interaction, etc., all largely have nothing to do with the tuning/frequency-response. The fact is that yes, the frequency-response of these headphones is one of the best in the entire world of audio when it comes to neutrality, but they still can't beat the best headphones five to seven times their price when it comes to technicalities like resolution, soundstage, and imaging. And when people get headphones in that price-range, they can generally afford some very good options for equalization that can turn them completely flat/neutral while not sacrificing anything by creating distortion like cheaper EQ options tend to do. If I had $1400 to burn, I'd much rather get the best-available $1000 headphones out there when it comes to technicalities, regardless of tuning, and then spend the other $400 on a very good hardware-equalizer.

Tuning and frequency-response are far from everything when it comes to hi-fi sound.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,102 of 2,621
To each his own...especially on transducers (imo).

Every person has their own set of hearing capabilities, sonic preferences, music choices, etc. All of these factors can have an impact on which cans a person may prefer.

Have known many people that love headphones with signatures that don't align with my or other's preferences...doesn't make those cans better or worse...just different.

Think about the variety of sound signatures out there -- Grado's, Beyers, Senns, Stax, Audeze, HiFiMan, Focal, B&W, Shure, Philips, Meze, AKG, DCA, VModa, etc...even Beats, Bose, JBL. There's something for everyone and debating what's 'better' often boils down to chocolate vs vanilla vs rocky road...

Regarding better sound vs $$$$ spent, not always a direct correlation for -- me at least. I have several sets of cans that are mid to low-fi that get more than their fair share of time. When I owned the HD800 and T1, I still listened to my HD 6 series cans and my DT770s and 880s. When I got rid of my OTL set up, the mid-fi cans (Senns, Beyers, AKG) survived the HD800 and T1 didn't.

Picked up Clears and XCs for my 'TOTL' open and closed cans which I definitely enjoy. But honestly, my HD 6 series cans still get more than their share of playing time...along with my high value HD58x, X2s, and Amirons (a steal at $249 NIB)...as does an old pair of Q701s...and SR60s

For me, I've picked up a variety of headphones with different sound signatures over the years and they often increase my listening enjoyment based on their match with the music genre I might be listening to and even sometimes my mood!

If somebody love Apple, Beats, Bose because it brings them closer to their music, good on them! :beerchug:

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #2,103 of 2,621
My experience with more expensive headphones gives me a better (better than I personally had previously) idea of what is possible.

For an all round package my favourite has to be the HD 560S, matched carefully with low or (shock horror) higher priced gear.

High or higher end phones have special qualities but a higher price isn't a guarantee of audio bliss.

It may depend on what matches well with any given headphone.

The HD 600 and 650 often get compared to similar priced headphones that are new but not flagship. Fair enough but is it?
Not necessarily a fair fight, as both of those were once flagships (regardless of what they cost now).

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #2,104 of 2,621
My experience with more expensive headphones gives me a better idea of what is possible.

For an all round package my favourite has to be the HD 560S, matched carefully with low or (shock horror) higher priced gear.

High or higher end phones have special qualities but a higher price isn't a guarantee of audio bliss.

It may depend on what matches well with any given headphone.

The HD 600 and 650 often get compared to similar priced headphones that are new but not flagship. Fair enough but is it?
Not necessarily a fair fight, as both of those were once flagships (regardless of what they cost now).
Agreed!

The 560S sounds like a set of cans worth owning. Looking forward to when they go on sale...am a bargain hunter by nature and hence not an early-adopter. :wink:

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #2,105 of 2,621
Agreed!

The 560S sounds like a set of cans worth owning. Looking forward to when they go on sale...am a bargain hunter by nature and hence not an early-adopter. :wink:
Same here. Usually give myself a discounted Xmas gift. I mean I could pay full value anytime, but why. Too old to change now. Will just enjoy my Deva till December.

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #2,106 of 2,621
they can generally afford some very good options for equalization that can turn them completely flat/neutral while not sacrificing anything by creating distortion like cheaper EQ options tend to do. If I had $1400 to burn, I'd much rather get the best-available $1000 headphones out there when it comes to technicalities, regardless of tuning, and then spend the other $400 on a very good hardware-equalizer.

I'm pretty sure hardware equalizers are technically inferior to software equalizers. The main advantage is that they are more convenient and some people like physical buttons/knobs.

Equalizer APO is a very popular software equalizer that is free and I haven't seen any proof that it creates distortion or anything like that. As far as I'm aware, that's the best you can get if you want an equalizer, and I haven't seen anyone show that any other option produces better results (hardware equalizers, other paid software equalizers, and so on).

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #2,108 of 2,621
2021-02-07 (3).jpg

Just took in a Valhalla 2, put away the Asgard 2 for now....The Val2 has always been on my wish list since joining this crazy hobby many years ago and finally one came up at a decent price!

Absolutely loved the 560s on the Darkvoice, let's see what the Val2 can do!

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #2,109 of 2,621
2021-02-07 (3).jpg

Just took in a Valhalla 2, put away the Asgard 2 for now....The Val2 has always been on my wish list since joining this crazy hobby many years ago and finally one came up at a decent price!

Absolutely loved the 560s on the Darkvoice, let's see what the Val2 can do!
Which dac are you using it with?
Plus how's it pairing with the HD 560S?

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #2,110 of 2,621
Which dac are you using it with?
Plus how's it pairing with the HD 560S?
Bifrost 1 (last gen with USB 2)...I can tell the Valhalla wasn't used much because the tubes/amp is still raw and only just burning in. The sound is only just relaxing but it's more nuanced and clearer than the Asgard 2! Power wise, the Val2 pushes the 560s quite easily, it's screaming loud at around 10 o'clock on high-gain. The pot on the Asgard 2 needs to be around 11-12 o'clock to get preferred levels and that's on high-gain. I personally think the Asgard 2 mates really well with the 560s, the Class A power and warm sound is still detailed and extends nicely down low and up high with out any fatigue!

Bifrost/Valhalla2/HD560s is great but I need to let these tubes burn-in a bit before I can thoroughly access anything and then there is tube rolling....Where I loved the 560s with the Darkvoice, the Valhalla 2 is noticeable more clearer and faster in presentation! Typical Schiit though, the Darkvoice is more enveloping and can seem more deeper in stage where the Val2 has the wide soundstage but with very little depth! It actually kinda builds on the 560s strength I guess.

I have something else coming that I'll share with you all when it arrives...fingers crossed!

Feb 10, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,111 of 2,621
Bifrost 1 (last gen with USB 2)...I can tell the Valhalla wasn't used much because the tubes/amp is still raw and only just burning in. The sound is only just relaxing but it's more nuanced and clearer than the Asgard 2! Power wise, the Val2 pushes the 560s quite easily, it's screaming loud at around 10 o'clock on high-gain. The pot on the Asgard 2 needs to be around 11-12 o'clock to get preferred levels and that's on high-gain. I personally think the Asgard 2 mates really well with the 560s, the Class A power and warm sound is still detailed and extends nicely down low and up high with out any fatigue!

Bifrost/Valhalla2/HD560s is great but I need to let these tubes burn-in a bit before I can thoroughly access anything and then there is tube rolling....Where I loved the 560s with the Darkvoice, the Valhalla 2 is noticeable more clearer and faster in presentation! Typical Schiit though, the Darkvoice is more enveloping and can seem more deeper in stage where the Val2 has the wide soundstage but with very little depth! It actually kinda builds on the 560s strength I guess.

I have something else coming that I'll share with you all when it arrives...fingers crossed!
Happy listening!

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #2,112 of 2,621
My HD 560's just arrived from Amazon via seven oaks. I spoke to seven oaks before I placed this order and they said they hadn't received a single return.

Straight out of the box, my drivers aren't basically hanging off like they were on the last 2 pairs that I had.

If I go to here https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ and start at 500hz and work my way down slowly, I am getting some quite harsh buzzing in the right driver and some slightly in the left driver. Is this a fair test? Can anyone else try this?

I would be tempted to take the earpads off and see if the screws are spinning but I don't really want to do that yet

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #2,114 of 2,621
My HD 560's just arrived from Amazon via seven oaks. I spoke to seven oaks before I placed this order and they said they hadn't received a single return.

Straight out of the box, my drivers aren't basically hanging off like they were on the last 2 pairs that I had.

If I go to here https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ and start at 500hz and work my way down slowly, I am getting some quite harsh buzzing in the right driver and some slightly in the left driver. Is this a fair test? Can anyone else try this?

I would be tempted to take the earpads off and see if the screws are spinning but I don't really want to do that yet

What volume-levels are you testing at? It's good to remember that human ears are far less sensitive to bass and low-mids than to frequencies between 2Khz and 5Khz, so you want to be doing the test at a volume-level where a frequency of around 2Khz to 4Khz is loud, but not excessively/ear-bleedingly loud, if you want to simulate realistic listening-volumes. Of course, to really see what happens when you push the drivers closer to their limits, you could do the test at louder volumes, but I'd be careful if you're playing any steady-tones in the low-mids or below rather than just doing a sweep, as apparently you can damage drivers by playing a low-frequency steady tone at very high sound pressure levels. Proceed with caution; if you put the volume high enough that a 30Hz tone sounds TRULY LOUD, then that means it's honestly way too loud since our ears aren't sensitive at that frequency, and at that point you'd find that if you keep the volume the same, turning the frequency up to 2 to 5Khz will seem like ice-picks are digging into your ears. YOU DON'T WANT TO TEST STEADY BASS-TONES AT SUCH LEVELS. Granted, the drivers in the HD560s have a maximum power-handling of 200mW, but steady bass-tones stress drivers more than sweeping, midrange, and treble tones, so you still want to be careful and not test out just how high the power-handling really goes.

It might actually be best to use a SWEEPING tone rather than something like the tool you linked to. That tool is perfectly valid for testing, but as I said, you have to be careful with the bass and low-mids if you have it maintain a steady tone for too long. If you go here instead (link below), you can find some nice sweeping-tone tests. Scrolling down, I'd first try the Driver Matching test to make sure you're using an appropriate volume; namely, make sure it doesn't feel like it's about to make your ears bleed when it hits the upper mids and low treble, haha. Then once you have a reasonable volume, run that same test again and see if there's any shaking/rattle in the bass and low-mids. After that, scroll to one test above that one and try the "Quality" test (file-name "Bass Shaker") that specifically does a slower sweep of the bass and low-mids to test for driver buzz/rattle. Here's the link: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Apparently I've missed the return window at BestBuy, so I guess I'll try the for-sale forum. I'll be sad to see them go, they are definitely an upgrade on my 598's, but the subbass on the Sundaras won me over.

Oh yeah, there is NO COMPARISON between the HD599 or the older HD598 that you have, and the HD560s. These are MUCH better headphones than the 598 or 599 both in terms of neutral tuning as well as in technicalities like distortion-levels, detail resolution, etc.

It really impresses me that people keep comparing the HD560s to the Sundaras, which cost almost twice as much! These are very impressive for their price-range. But yes, the Sundaras will in fact prove to be an upgrade over the HD560s, assuming that HiFiMan really has fixed their quality-control issues (people claim they have, but I don't trust that company at this point, haha) and you get a good pair! But it just really impresses me that at $199.99, the HD560s are at all good enough that people would go comparing them to headphones like the Sundaras, the HD6__ series, etc.

I find it interesting that you found the sub-bass on the Sundaras better; do you mean the extension, or the overall quality? The HD560s have REMARKABLE sub-bass extension for open-back headphones, almost completely linear down to nearly 35Hz and with only a few dB roll-off from there down to 20Hz. The Sundaras have excellent sub-bass extension too, but not necessarily MORE extended. The sense in which they have superior bass is that they're planar-magnetics, and planar bass is, as a general rule of thumb (with some exceptions like summit-fi dynamic headphones) better quality than dynamic bass, at least in my experience and that of many others in this hobby.

And yeah, Best Buy's return window is obnoxiously short! Only 14 days, seriously? Ugh.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #2,115 of 2,621
Offftttt....have a listen to this banger with the 560s!

Beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back