"The New" Fiio X3 with USB DAC
Nov 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #61 of 147
  I'm experiencing af problem with the DAC functionality of the X3. When using it as DAC from my laptop i get drops in sound, where windows suddenly loses connection to the usb DAC (in device manager i can see that it disapears and reapears. I've tried all my USB ports on the laptop (2xUSB2 and 1xUSB3, the usb doesn't work at all with the X3), but it's the same problem. Anyone else experiencing this? If i use my oDAC i don't experience any of these problems.

Hi,

I have found that the micro USB connection on my X3 is very weak.  The slightest movement of the X3 while connected, can cause the loss of the USB connection.  I have to ensure the X3 is on a solid surface before connecting.   On examination, the micro USB plug is very thin and is easily moved within the socket.   I would have preferred the more robust Mini USB type, found on older FiiO (and other) products.

Either micro USB is inherently weak by design, or just poorly implemented by FiiO.  I have no other micro USB devices to compare at this time, but the design looks too weak to withstand much movement.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #62 of 147

Hi,

I have found that the micro USB connection on my X3 is very weak.  The slightest movement of the X3 while connected, can cause the loss of the USB connection.  I have to ensure the X3 is on a solid surface before connecting.   On examination, the micro USB plug is very thin and is easily moved within the socket.   I would have preferred the more robust Mini USB type, found on older FiiO (and other) products.

Either micro USB is inherently weak by design, or just poorly implemented by FiiO.  I have no other micro USB devices to compare at this time, but the design looks too weak to withstand much movement.

My problem occurs while the X3 is lying completely still on a table :frowning2: and it seems that file transer works flawlessly, so the problem only occurs with the DAC part.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #63 of 147

My problem occurs while the X3 is lying completely still on a table :frowning2: and it seems that file transer works flawlessly, so the problem only occurs with the DAC part.

Just out of curiosity, does it still disconnect if you turn both 'sleep' and 'idle power off' in the X3 system settings to 'OFF' ?

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #64 of 147
  Just out of curiosity, does it still disconnect if you turn both 'sleep' and 'idle power off' in the X3 system settings to 'OFF' ?

Just did a quick test, and with both turned off it seems to work. I'll do some more testing and see if i can enable either 'sleep' or 'idle power off' again.

Thanks for the suggestion :D

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #65 of 147

Just did a quick test, and with both turned off it seems to work. I'll do some more testing and see if i can enable either 'sleep' or 'idle power off' again.

Thanks for the suggestion :D

Out of curiosity, I have done the same, and with the same results.  This might suggest either a bug in firmware, or an oversight in the preparation for the additional DAC functionality.

It makes sense (to me) that when the X3 is in DAC mode, the idle power-off etc. are automatically disabled, as it is not needed.  Since it would be trivial to achieve this in the firmware, I suspect it may be a bug.  However an oversight is possible.

There are a number of known 'issues' with fw 2.05, and I think I saw a comment somewhere about an update in the near-ish future.  For now, I will disable 'idle power off'.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #66 of 147
As always, apologies for my noobish question, if indeed my question be noobish, but when in USB DAC mode will the X3 function as an amp as well as a DAC?

My next question is do most people notice the difference between the X3 DAC and their computer DAC? I've never heard music through an external DAC so really have no idea how much of a difference it makes. Do only practised audiophiles notice the difference, or will even a noob like me?

Thanks in advance for your non-anti-noobman responses.        :)

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #67 of 147
Sound quality is great. I listen using beyer dt880 and i think it has a fuller, more pleasent and powerfull sound than as standalone player. Maybe it is placebo or because i use EQ in foobar or power delivered by usb is bigger and these headphones have 250 ohms. But i like it better as USB DAC. I'd really like that one day fiio will implement a good parametric eq for dap.

I've got a 250 ohm 880 on its way and was thinking of getting an x3 as a usb dac and amp but just wanted to check that it works as both when connected to the computer. So does it? Or are you using another device as an amp alongside the x3 DAC?

Also, interesting that you mention the sound is different, does this mean the x3 is significantly colouring the sound, or is it that your foobar EQ settings are themselves quite colourful?

Looking forward to your reply :)

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #68 of 147
i only use X3, without additional amping, it has enough power and used as DAC you have volume and gain controls via X3. So no need to amp DT800.
About the sound, my ears feel it is better as dac, even on youtube or jango i feel improvements. on foobar i add some bass and trebles but overall it's better. especially on lower frequencies, the bass is more powerfull and...just nicer.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #69 of 147
  I've got a 250 ohm 880 on its way and was thinking of getting an x3 as a usb dac and amp but just wanted to check that it works as both when connected to the computer. So does it? Or are you using another device as an amp alongside the x3 DAC?

Also, interesting that you mention the sound is different, does this mean the x3 is significantly colouring the sound, or is it that your foobar EQ settings are themselves quite colourful?

Looking forward to your reply :)

I also have the same headphone, and compared to the E10 that I have used before this one, the sound gets more crisp, detailed and more coherent in a sense. The E10 powered it just enough to get sound out of it, and though it was better than directly plugging it to an audio jack, it still sounded less refined, like a blob of sound coming from each ear driver.

All I can say is that with the X3 in DAC/AMP mode through the laptop the sound is superb. I'm not complaining.

Also when you plug it in it becomes a DAC if you use the lineout function into an amp, and it will become a DAC/AMP if you plug your headphones directly into the headphone port.

I use my Beyerdynamic DT 880s straight through the headphone port.

I use Foobar2000 without DSPs or EQs, and through the ASIO drivers that came with the 2.05 firmware update.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #70 of 147
I have just purchased an X3.  I can say I'm impressed.  Had no trouble updating firmware to 2.1, nor with formatting 64GB cards to Fat32 with freeware program.

I just tried the X3 as a DAC with my Mac Book Pro.  I have an external Thunderbolt dock with USB 3.0 ports.  I am getting true 192KHz/24bit performance.  It is awesome.  DAC does not work well with USB 2.0, however.  44Khz/16bit.  Mac Audio Midi recognized the X3 and set it to 192/24 automatically.  For the first time I playing my 192/24 files without down sampling.  The line out is too hot for my system and the headphone out needs to be turned up.  I will build an attenuator pad for the line out. 

I have an Audioengine D1 DAC that I was running from the optical output on the Mac.  The D1 claims to do 192/24 with its optical input, but the reality is that Mac won't go higher than 96KHz due to Core Audio limits.  The X3 with a USB 3.0 port has solved that problem.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #71 of 147
  I have just purchased an X3.  I can say I'm impressed.  Had no trouble updating firmware to 2.1, nor with formatting 64GB cards to Fat32 with freeware program.

I just tried the X3 as a DAC with my Mac Book Pro.  I have an external Thunderbolt dock with USB 3.0 ports.  I am getting true 192KHz/24bit performance.  It is awesome.  DAC does not work well with USB 2.0, however.  44Khz/16bit.  Mac Audio Midi recognized the X3 and set it to 192/24 automatically.  For the first time I playing my 192/24 files without down sampling.  The line out is too hot for my system and the headphone out needs to be turned up.  I will build an attenuator pad for the line out. 

I have an Audioengine D1 DAC that I was running from the optical output on the Mac.  The D1 claims to do 192/24 with its optical input, but the reality is that Mac won't go higher than 96KHz due to Core Audio limits.  The X3 with a USB 3.0 port has solved that problem.

Congratulations on your X3 purchase :)   It's a sensational DAP for the price, I can't recommend it enough!

I am surprised though, that your USB2 connection works less well than USB3.  I am a Windows user, and my X3 in DAC mode works equally well in either, with both giving 192/24 performance.   Since my laptop has an Intel chipset, it is likely we have a broadly similar core audio subsystem.  Since the requirements for 192/24 don't even come close the capabilities of USB2 (280 Mbit/s), I wonder if there is a setting in your OS's audio setup that is the cause?

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #72 of 147
Thanks for your reply.  I tried a USB 2.0 port again and it came up 44/16.  Then a few seconds later a relay inside the X3 clicked and it switched to 192/24.  Working fine now.  Thanks for getting me to try again.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #73 of 147
Okay, I have been fiddling with the DAC on my X3 for a week.  It never worked once, FIIO never responded, and I'm at wit's end.  I'm running Windows 7, it says the firmware has been updated on my X3, but there has never been any crosstalk between my laptop and my X3.  Am I supposed to install separate software on my laptop?  Is all the software on the update in my X3?  Geezum crow, I don't want to return this great little machine, but I really need DAC, instead of just another portable player.  HELP!!!

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #74 of 147
  Okay, I have been fiddling with the DAC on my X3 for a week.  It never worked once, FIIO never responded, and I'm at wit's end.  I'm running Windows 7, it says the firmware has been updated on my X3, but there has never been any crosstalk between my laptop and my X3.  Am I supposed to install separate software on my laptop?  Is all the software on the update in my X3?  Geezum crow, I don't want to return this great little machine, but I really need DAC, instead of just another portable player.  HELP!!!

You should install the driver 
redface.gif

Google it

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #75 of 147
I can't intall the driver.  I keep getting a message "Failed to read."  And now I don't know where to turn. Have re-installed everything at least 5 times...and, again, I really don't know what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back