The New Chord Quartet MScaler Discussion Thread
May 11, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #31 of 181
Is your friend familiar with the Dave? The description sounds more like something I would attribute to solo Dave.
He is a dealer and familiar with high multiple brands. It was just a quick listen in a busy environment so far from ideal I would imagine.

May 11, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #32 of 181
how many BNC cables would one need to connect the DAVE to the Quartet MScaler? 2 or 4 ?
It would be 2 for shure as it operates at 768k
Also see 2 in use on the prototype.

May 11, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #33 of 181
At Axpona I spoke with Colin from Chord at length about this. It was all pretty exciting to hear about. Definitely want this. I know the wife won't dig the rack of three!

May 11, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #34 of 181
It would be a really interesting test if there is a point at which the taps can no longer be resolved because the dac lacks resolution. 4e vs 20e pulse array might be a big difference.
Rob has stated a number of times that he believes that there's no limit to the amount of resolution necessary for accurate reconstruction. He has found that the DAC has to be able to reconstruct signals as low as -320db (!!!), even though they'll be a tiny fraction of even the substrate noise of components. I don't know how that relates to the size of the pulse array. That would be something @Rob Watts would have to answer.
how many BNC cables would one need to connect the DAVE to the Quartet MScaler? 2 or 4 ?
Someone already answered, but two, because the scaler has to be compatible with all Chord's DACs, it will still output 2x384k signals. I do wonder if there would be any benefit to a system that could output a higher resolution, but I think electrical issues would get in the way, as S/PDIF wasn't designed to handle higher frequencies. Chord would have to design their own, proprietary system. Or they'd have to use more connections. I have always had the impression from Rob that accuracy in reconstruction is more important.

May 11, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #35 of 181
Actually, just a few days ago I was wondering if there would be a "Blu III". Basically, we are getting one sans optical drive. I, currently, have a DAVE fronted by a Hugo M Scaler so I will be very interested to hear the Quartet in front of the DAVE.

May 11, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #36 of 181
I am still using my Blu MkII and I am wondering if there is a way to connect both the existing Blu MkII and the upcoming Quartet MScaler to the DAVE at the same time so that I can "switch" inputs whenever I am playing CDs and digital files ?

May 11, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #37 of 181
I am still using my Blu MkII and I am wondering if there is a way to connect both the existing Blu MkII and the upcoming Quartet MScaler to the DAVE at the same time so that I can "switch" inputs whenever I am playing CDs and digital files ?
You would want to turn off the upscaling in the blu mk2 and run it into the quartet scaler as well, to take advantage of the much improved reconstruction the quartet scaler will offer.

May 11, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #38 of 181
You would want to turn off the upscaling in the blu mk2 and run it into the quartet scaler as well, to take advantage of the much improved reconstruction the quartet scaler will offer.
thank you for this idea :) I did not realise this connection was possible with the quartet scaler.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #39 of 181
I do wonder if there would be any benefit to a system that could output a higher resolution
Remember inside the Chord DAC she signal is being further upsampled all the way to 104Mhz before it hits the pulsearray.. 705.6/768 is only the transport frequency (1st stage WTA1) into the DAC wherein its further processed.

May 12, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #40 of 181
Quartet scaler seems to have a DBNC input, but its not wise to put 768k from Blu2 in it, as the Quartet would just pass the bits through unprocessed i think.. imo its best to go with @SoupRKnowva suggestion.

Futher.. Dave has two DBNC inputs so you can connect both Quartet and Blu2 side by side for comparison. But you would take some RF isolation benefit of Quartet away with Blu2 also connected that way bc RF from Blu2 can enter Dave.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #41 of 181
IMG-20240510-WA0009.jpg

This socket should indicate that Rob is also using the new QMS using a battery, most likely to compare it with the new power supply. It is assumed that there should no longer be any difference between the two power supplies.

The final version may also have a rear socket to connect a battery if you want to use portable QMS.

May 12, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #42 of 181
IMG-20240510-WA0009.jpg
This socket should indicate that Rob is also using the new QMS using a battery, most likely to compare it with the new power supply. It is assumed that there should no longer be any difference between the two power supplies.

The final version may also have a rear socket to connect a battery if you want to use portable QMS.
I like the total hack job of a cable.😄
It just needs to work, NOW. If I try things out it looks the same and if it‘s behind the Tv it stays that way.

May 12, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #44 of 181

Users who are viewing this thread

Back