The New ATH-AD1000PRM: Some Impressions, Information, and Pictures
May 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gu Sensei

500+ Head-Fier
After selling nearly all of my headphones to pick up one of the new flagships, I found myself without a pair of open back headphones for my office. With all the delays, I decided to go for an ‘interim’ pair and got a nice deal on a pair of ATH-AD1000PRMs. I previously owned the AD2000s, my first high end pair of headphones, but much preferred the W5000s that I eventually picked up. They were very nice but there was nothing there that really grabbed me like with some other headphones. Also, I did not find them terribly comfortable due to excessive clamping and the driver casings touching my ears.

I was curious to revisit the AD2000s after reading so many positive reports and it was very early on my headphones journey that I had them. I came across a pair of AD1000PRMs at a significantly cheaper price and decided to go for them instead. I purchased a used pair, but they can be had under $400 US here.

This won’t be much of a review, but let me get to some key points:

1. These babies are much more comfortable than the AD2000s to me. Much less clamping. Going back and forth at the store, this was immediately noticeable and is my experience with them at home. However, the metal driver casings do touch your ears. I slid a couple of rubber tubes under the pads and that solved the problem. Not as comfortable as my D7000s, but not bad at all.

2. As the pictures show, there are some fancy markings that differentiate the appearance from the other AD1000s. I like the honeycomb look of this line. There is a rubber tube covering the headband metal bars that is not there with the AD2000s.

3. The sound signature and quality is pretty much what I remember the AD2000s to be like. Not sure what else to add as they generally fit with descriptions of the AD2000s. Fast, detailed, forward presentation, bright. I had could not tell the difference at the store but conditions were not good. Still not quite my cup of tea, but all around very good headphones.

That really is all I have to add about my impressions. I would love to compare them directly with a pair of AD2000s at home but those are long gone.

This is from one of the on-line importers:

Advanced resolution drivers is the biggest improvement of the new ATH-AD1000PRM from Audio-Technica, Japan. Both left and right drivers adopt independent core line as a result of 4 cores. Featuring high purity 7N-OFC cord adoption with 99.99999% of OFC, allowing the Y-cord to deliver the efficient digital sound. The black aluminum body is lightweight, stable, and sleek. The unique fitting system is both comfortable and well balanced.

Type: Open air dynamic type
Driver: φ53mm
Output overpressure value: 101dB/mW
Playback frequency zone: 5 - 40,000Hz
Largest input: 1,000mW
Impedance : 40ohms
Mass: 270g
Plug: φ6.3/φ3.5mm gold-plating
Cord/code length: 3.0m, Y type

The really interesting thing is that from what I could tell from the display at the audio shop and what I have heard from another Head Fi member is that the AD1000PRMs share the same drivers as the AD2000s. However, the most I can find on the web is that they share the ‘same technology.’

Here are the specs for the AD2000s:

Audio-Technica's new 2004 ATH-AD2000 Air Dynamic headphones features a large 53mm aperture driver made with high purity bobbin winding OFC-7N voice coil for high quality sound reproduction with deep balanced bass. With unique self-adjusting bearing armband (world's first) with newly developed 3D "wing support" which allows comfortable and enjoyable listening experience. Designed with light weight aluminum honeycomb casing with a total comfort around your ears.

Specifications
Type: Open-Air Dynamic
Driver Unit: 53mm, OFC-7N bobbin winding voice coil
Magnet: Neodymium
Frequency response: 5 - 45,000Hz
Impedance: 40 ohms
Max. Input Power: 1000mW
Output overpressure value: 102dB/mW (JEITA)
Plug: Mini/Standard Gold plated 2 Way
Cord length: Elastomer/OFC-6N+OFC/3.0m
Net weight (without cord): 250g

They do not quite match so I am questioning whether the drivers could still be the same. Any Head Fiers with better kanji skills than mine might be able to help out here.

Based on comfort, the similarity of the sound, and the price difference, it would be hard for me to pick the AD2000s over these.

premium.JPG

ath-ad1000prm.jpg

ab53cdcb.jpg

aut2_21.jpg

AD1000s (not PRMs) on left and AD2000s on right for comparison.
a73c8ac6.jpg

Link to Japanese site ATH-AD1000PRM

May 23, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 14
Thanks for your impression and the pictures.

The AD1000 really were one of the most comfortable cans I ever wear, though the drivers might slightly touch your ears.
They are really good headphones, but upper-mid, lower-treb sometimes too bright for me. I also prefer the AD2000 over these, because they have better bass, better refinement, clearer, the mid is more foward and overall warmer.

I would like to try these AD1000PRM as well. I'm not sure if anybody here have tried both AD1000 and the PRM, and can see the differents
normal_smile .gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the impression.

You mentioned that unmodded 1000PRM driver metal cover touched the ears. I'm curious do unmodded W5000 touched your ears too ? I know from many people impressions they are more loose on the clamping, but I got a big head and large ears, the HD650 felt really cramp and my ears touching the cover as well as the padding. Is W5000 more roomy for the ears ? I know the HD800 would fit me since it's bigger than HD650 but it's $2400 here in Aus, it's just too much.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're in Australia right? Hmmm my brain is thinking...

Yeah I'm in Sydney. Something intriguing about owning a headphone that probably no1 else in Australia owns. I just hope they sound good!

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 14
Nice review and impressions! Something inside me is telling me to give them a try...from what i know these are limited edition headphones.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 14
After about 6 hours of listening (connected to my shanling amp) here are my initial impressions:

Firstly they are very comfortable which is important to me because I have headphones on almost all day while I play poker LOL. They are very fast and detailed, more so than any other headphone I've heard. Not a bassy headphone by any means, but the bass is clean, punchy and has good impact. Some songs sound bright/harsh (compared to my DT880) due to this I would say the DT880 is definitely a better all rounder but damn the AD1000PRM has really made some songs sound better than I ever heard them before, so that alone is worth the money I paid IMO. The strongest points is the vocals which to me sounds close to perfect with this can and the dynamics, this can is really great for listening at low to mid volumes and loses nothing, with the DT880 I am always pushing the volume to make it sound better, no need for that with the AD1000PRM which is good for my long term hearing
happy_face1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 14
Well probably listened to them for about 40 hours now and they are def my headphone of choice for heavy rock and metal. Ive never heard bands like Guns N Roses, ACDC, Coal Chamber, DevilDriver sound so good. Im interested to 1 day compare them to something from grado like an RS1 or HF2. With the AD1000PRM it sounds very different to the DT880 it's freaky how different it sounds. I still love my DT880s for bands like beatles/floyd/genesis.

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 14

angle_sh00ter said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well probably listened to them for about 40 hours now and they are def my headphone of choice for heavy rock and metal. Ive never heard bands like Guns N Roses, ACDC, Coal Chamber, DevilDriver sound so good. Im interested to 1 day compare them to something from grado like an RS1 or HF2. With the AD1000PRM it sounds very different to the DT880 it's freaky how different it sounds. I still love my DT880s for bands like beatles/floyd/genesis.

Thanks for your sharing! I understand this part.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 14
During summer I have listened to pretty much everything from T1, HD800, to SR-007, SR-404LE and a lot more. I found the sound on the AD1000PRM is pretty unique, the closest sounding set is SR-404 Signature and SRM-717. Vocal on the PRM is still one of the sweetest after all the high-end encounters.

For those who found them too bright, try out Yamamoto HA-02 with it. It tames it down quite a bit, but still retrain the sweet vocal. To me, I still prefer driving it with SS for the sense of speed.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 14
yep, agree with you, I also found that 404LE is like the stat version of PRM, it still can't produce midrange/vocal as enjoyable as PRM but It has better blackground, separation and detail though.

Now I'm running PRM through M-Stage, the synergy is quite unique, the midrange now is thicker, more transparent and really prominent. They even make my Shroom EB like v-shape IEM lol.

Yet, Yamamoto is still the winner amp for PRM in my dictionary anyway, :)

btw, how to change the wing and earpad of PRM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back