The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Dec 15, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #3,721 of 4,136
Remember that you can also buy used. Last SBZ I bought cost me 40 Dollars.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #3,722 of 4,136
I've been happy with my Sennheiser PC360 headset (when wife home) and either M-Audio AV40 (2.0... wife has them now) or the Monoprice (2.0) 5" speakers. Son and I play Battlefield 1.

PC: Mini-ITX form factor, Ncase M1, Asus Z170i Pro Gaming MB, i7-6700k, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200, nVidia 1080-FE, Corsair SF600 PS, 1TB SSD, uDAC5.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #3,724 of 4,136
What usb gaming audio device has unamped line out?
I'm either getting an odac or OL dac. Hifiman he400s' and ifi ican se to amp them.
Curtent device is a Dragonfly Black.

USB game audio device would be a USB sound card.
The ODAC and OL DAC and Dragon Black would provide roughly the same digital to analog convertion as the USB sound card.
So you would one use one of these at a time.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #3,725 of 4,136
Yes I'm aware.

I am asking if there are any devices, usb based, tuned for gaming that would have line out. I already have an amplifier.
I only need straight from the DAC. Currently I'll eithet get hifimediy or Schiit Fulla 2. Or Odac revb.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #3,726 of 4,136
Yes I'm aware.

I am asking if there are any devices, usb based, tuned for gaming that would have line out. I already have an amplifier.
I only need straight from the DAC. Currently I'll eithet get hifimediy or Schiit Fulla 2. Or Odac revb.

Sound Blaster Omni perhaps?

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #3,727 of 4,136
Just used my GSX 1000 for the first time in Battlefield 1 and there is no doubt its a better more natural surround sound than creative, the sound quality and the ability to both pick out sounds and pinpoint them is improved. Having gone CMSS, Dolby headphone and of late the SBX pro its actually nice to have a solution that doesn't break the sound in order to add the surround sound in.

But the darn thing has a large amount of hiss with a pair of IEMs and a pretty significant amount with the Sennheiser HD 598s, gave me a royal headache within a few minutes of gaming. Not sure if I just have a faulty one that needs replacement or its faulty by design as a few people online are complaining about this. For a £200 headphone amp designed for headphones 16-250 Ohms that just shouldn't happen, this is competing with a Schitt stack for price and hiss like that shouldn't be coming out of a £20 sound card let alone an amp of this cost.

I also had some weirdness around USB, it refused to run from a USB 3.0 hub. It wouldn't share with any other devices so I had to give it its own port direct from the motherboard. That I can workaround with a longer USB cable for it but the hiss is a deal breaker.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #3,728 of 4,136
Yes I'm aware.

Creative G5

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #3,729 of 4,136
Just used my GSX 1000 for the first time in Battlefield 1 and there is no doubt its a better more natural surround sound than creative, the sound quality and the ability to both pick out sounds and pinpoint them is improved. Having gone CMSS, Dolby headphone and of late the SBX pro its actually nice to have a solution that doesn't break the sound in order to add the surround sound in.

But the darn thing has a large amount of hiss with a pair of IEMs and a pretty significant amount with the Sennheiser HD 598s, gave me a royal headache within a few minutes of gaming. Not sure if I just have a faulty one that needs replacement or its faulty by design as a few people online are complaining about this. For a £200 headphone amp designed for headphones 16-250 Ohms that just shouldn't happen, this is competing with a Schitt stack for price and hiss like that shouldn't be coming out of a £20 sound card let alone an amp of this cost.

I also had some weirdness around USB, it refused to run from a USB 3.0 hub. It wouldn't share with any other devices so I had to give it its own port direct from the motherboard. That I can workaround with a longer USB cable for it but the hiss is a deal breaker.

You ha e a faulty one because I hear no hiss with my HD 598 and the GSX 1000 only powers up to 150ohms not 250

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #3,730 of 4,136
have tried asking a bit in MLE's gaming headphone thread (not... much traction so far), getting some rather conflicting ideas from trying to read around the subject...

AKG 712pro - semi open or open? (Basically how bad is sound leakage).
Will an SB-Z drive them?

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #3,731 of 4,136
  Have tried asking a bit in MLE's gaming headphone thread (not... much traction so far), getting some rather conflicting ideas from trying to read around the subject...
Will an SB-Z drive them?

Technically the Sound blaster Z's built in headphone amplifier will drive the 62-Ohm AKG K712 Pro.
But for music audio (optional) you might want to get a Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier and connect it to the SB-Z's Front Speaker jack

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #3,732 of 4,136

Technically the Sound blaster Z's built in headphone amplifier will drive the 62-Ohm AKG K712 Pro.
But for music audio (optional) you might want to get a Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier and connect it to the SB-Z's Front Speaker jack

That's the sort of insight I was after, many thanks :)
I spotted your suggestion of the Bravo Ocean tube amp. There seems to be quite a few... well I assume they're knock-offs. Would you even mildly rate them? For my uses, I'd think the built in will do me but... nice to know for in future :)

edits: Excuse my abuse of English with their/you're etc :p corrected now. My diction is usually excellent but I seem to have been rather lazy here

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,733 of 4,136

That's the sort of insight I was after, many thanks :)
I spotted you're suggestion of the Bravo Ocean tube amp. There seems to be quite a few... well I assume their knock-offs. Would you even mildly rate them? For my uses, I'd think the built in will do me but... nice to know for in future :)

Can't say for sure which of these low cost tube amps are better then others.
I do like the case the Braco Ocean comes in.
You might check out the website forum Rockgrotto, they have a subsection dedicated to these types of tube amps.
You could just plug the K712 directly into the SB-Z (for FPS gaming), for now, take some time to decide on an add-on amplifier.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #3,734 of 4,136
I managed to fix the Sennheiser GSX 1000 hiss, it didn't like my USB 3.1 port but I moved it to a normal 3.0 port and the hiss is gone. I then tried listening to music and such with it and the output lacks impact, I think you can call the GSX 1000 a DAC with the best surround sound implementation you can get currently for games but its not a headphone amp. So I have fed it through the Schitt Magni 2 I have for fixing the SBZ issues and it does improve the sound quality, but its not super competitive with the SBZ -> Modi -> Magni -> HD 598 setup I had before. Its got vastly better surround sound in games, that is not even a contest but its definitely not as good for music or out through speakers.

So I guess the DAC is kind of poor or the amplifier stage is just muffling the sound (or maybe its by design!), but its not an audiophile product but as a gamer its the best solution out there. I have tried the Xonar and Dolby Headphone, the Realtek and Razor solutions and used CMSS and SBX Pro for years. Its not quite Aureal 3D levels of positioning, I am not shooting heads through walls with this but its a lot closer than anything released recently. Its expensive but I rate it, highly.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #3,735 of 4,136
  have tried asking a bit in MLE's gaming headphone thread (not... much traction so far), getting some rather conflicting ideas from trying to read around the subject...

Will an SB-Z drive them?

Dude, we already said the AKG K712 is semi-open lol.

And yes, as PurpleAngel has said, SB Z will drive them fairly well. The AKG K712 and other K series headphones tend to scale better with better gear. SB Z is a good starting point but if you want better, there are other amps out there that can be chained to the SB Z front port or you can even get a better DAC w/ optical in plus an amp of your choice and look for that "better" solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back