The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Aug 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #3,046 of 4,136
Can someone tell me exactly what the benefit of using a sound-card that supports CMSS-3D is when playing a game that is not using an API that gives the sound card driver 3D co-ordinates of in-game sounds?

If a game uses XAudio2, X3DAudio or FMOD/FMOD Ex as its API is positional/directional/3D audio better when using a CMSS-3D enabled card as opposed to something that uses Dolby Headphone or SBX ProStudio/THX  TruStudio Pro? Or is a card that uses the latter three technologies better used with XAudio2, X3DAudio and FMOD/FMOD Ex?

P.S. To NamelessPFG, I think it would be a good idea if you updated the original post to include SBX ProStudio/THX  TruStudio Pro, if you've used them of course.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #3,047 of 4,136
  Small question:

I have a X-Fi Titanium, and as such, I use the Creatives OpenAL driver.
Should I use the Rapture3D or OpenAL Soft implementation? Even if I lose hardware acceleration? It seems everyone says the HTRF is better in those implementations than Creative's

You might also consider posting questions about X-Fi cards on this forum/thread.
http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #3,048 of 4,136
  Thanks guys.

Now only question is whether the on-board audio controller of the GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 sends SBX by its TOSLink output. What do you say?

To me it would be really really surprised if the Z97X's on-board SoundCore3D audio could not output SBX Headphone surround sound thru the optical (Toslink) output.
Creative sound card can send SBX headphone thru optical and the Z97X uses both a Creative hardware audio processor and Creative audio software.

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #3,049 of 4,136
Thanks, Purple.

I asked for that because you had said that Sound Blaster Z/Zx/ZxR doesn't send SBX thru analog line output (or front speakers, RCA in case of the last). I know, thru optical, it does, by who knows.

I'd like anyone has tested that. If you find any link to it, please, let me know.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #3,050 of 4,136
  Thanks, Purple.

I asked for that because you had said that Sound Blaster Z/Zx/ZxR doesn't send SBX thru analog line output (or front speakers, RCA in case of the last). I know, thru optical, it does, by who knows.

I'd like anyone has tested that. If you find any link to it, please, let me know.

To me the SB-Z, Zx, ZxR would really almost never have a reason for sending SBX headphone thru the line-outs (speaker outputs).
So i can not see Creative spend cash to include a that kind of feature in the Z series.
So i was just making my best guess.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #3,051 of 4,136

Are you getting the optical Modi? Stillhart said that he couldn't tell the difference between that and the Sound Blaster Omni's DAC (obviously YMMV). If you were to grab an Omni and use the headphone out to a Magni or better, you could save some cash and have a guaranteed surround sound solution that wouldn't be messing with some software package that may or may not work well. 

I am getting the optical modi and so unfortunately the Omni won't be suitable for me as I need the input to be optical rather than USB.

I might look further into getting the sound blaster z, it seems like it shouldn't be too expensive.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3,052 of 4,136
Couple things I couldn't find answers to in this thread.

I output audio from my PC to a Pioneer 1019 Reciever over HDMI. Right now I play BF4 with surround audio through speakers (Energy RC70s (R/L), RC-LCR center and Energy RC-R rears).

My questions are:

Am I better off buying a pair of Audio technica AD700x and plugging them into the Pioneer 1019 reciever head phone output or should I use my old Sound Blaster Live 5.1?

For BF4, what is the best solution for positional competitive gaming? (price isn't much of a factor)

My clan all swears by their Astro 40s but I've read so many good things about the AD700.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #3,053 of 4,136
  I am getting the optical modi and so unfortunately the Omni won't be suitable for me as I need the input to be optical rather than USB.

I might look further into getting the sound blaster z, it seems like it shouldn't be too expensive.

The Omni will output surround through the optical out to your Modi. The connection to the PC is the only thing that is USB on the Omni. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #3,055 of 4,136

The Omni will output surround through the optical out to your Modi. The connection to the PC is the only thing that is USB on the Omni. 

Ah sorry, I got a bit confused with regards to my setup.

I would still need the Schiit stack, since I'm using an optical toslink matrix (4x2) so I can switch to speakers as well. So I had been thinking I would need optical input on the Omni, but I can put it before the matrix instead just like the computer's optical output. So the amp/dac part of the Omni won't be used.

So I would have Omni -> optical matrix -> Schiit stack.

Thanks for your help guys, it has been very useful.

EDIT: I still need to get an optical DAC for my Swan M10 speakers actually, just a cheap ~$50 AUD one. Would the Fiio D07 be fine for that or is there something else I should look at? Not looking for an upgrade from onboard for the speakers really, just need to use the optical matrix.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3,056 of 4,136

EDIT: I still need to get an optical DAC for my Swan M10 speakers actually, just a cheap ~$50 AUD one. Would the Fiio D07 be fine for that or is there something else I should look at? Not looking for an upgrade from onboard for the speakers really, just need to use the optical matrix.

The D03K should also work if you can find it. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #3,057 of 4,136
Can someone tell me exactly what the benefit of using a sound-card that supports CMSS-3D is when playing a game that is not using an API that gives the sound card driver 3D co-ordinates of in-game sounds?

If a game uses XAudio2, X3DAudio or FMOD/FMOD Ex as its API is positional/directional/3D audio better when using a CMSS-3D enabled card as opposed to something that uses Dolby Headphone or SBX ProStudio/THX  TruStudio Pro? Or is a card that uses the latter three technologies better used with XAudio2, X3DAudio and FMOD/FMOD Ex?

P.S. To NamelessPFG, I think it would be a good idea if you updated the original post to include SBX ProStudio/THX  TruStudio Pro, if you've used them of course.

It works just like Dolby Headphone and THX/SBX do in software-mixed games, just with its own sound colorations.

I'll probably throw it in whenever I decide how to rearchitect and rewrite the guide to minimize repeat questions like that. It was initially written as more of an information and misconception list than a how-to guide.

That said, I've tried THX TSP Surround on my X-Fi Titanium HD (Entertainment Mode) and the Recon3D USB. I was not impressed. SBX doesn't sound any different in YouTube videos to me, either.

My preference for CMSS-3D Headphone is pretty well-known around here. Still, that's my preference. You'll have to decide what's best for you with your own two ears.

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #3,058 of 4,136
Some questions before I buy - Fildelio X1 - TubeMagic D1 Plus - V-moda BoomPro

My Goal:
 - Play games on ( PC - PS3 - Laptop - PS Vita )
 - Be able to chat ( Skype - Online Games )
 - Use the same combination to watch movies and Anime and play games
 - Use the same headphone for my phone, and iPod and PS Vita

I am dominantly a PC gamer but I do play on my PS3 sometimes. I also love to watch high quality movies and anime.

My questions:
 - Does an amp make a big difference with the X1s?
 - Since these are open cans, how much noise is radiated into my surrounding area? If I was on a plane would I annoy people around me?
 - Is the V-moda cable a good quality cable? I've always been a nut about high quality cables and power filtering.
 - Which is best TubeMagic D1 Plus or Schiit Modi + Mangi ?

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,059 of 4,136
  Some questions before I buy - Fildelio X1 - TubeMagic D1 Plus - V-moda BoomPro

My Goal:
 - Play games on ( PC - PS3 - Laptop - PS Vita )
 - Be able to chat ( Skype - Online Games )
 - Use the same combination to watch movies and Anime and play games
 - Use the same headphone for my phone, and iPod and PS Vita

I am dominantly a PC gamer but I do play on my PS3 sometimes. I also love to watch high quality movies and anime.

My questions:
 - Does an amp make a big difference with the X1s? I don't have the X1 (but I have read tons about it because I was extremely considering getting one), but it seems that the X1 makes a only a slight difference. It doesn't really need amp compared to other headphones, but it does have a small impact.
 - Since these are open cans, how much noise is radiated into my surrounding area? If I was on a plane would I annoy people around me? Yeah, I wouldn't recommend using these in a plane, and that goes to any open headphone in general.
 - Is the V-moda cable a good quality cable? I've always been a nut about high quality cables and power filtering. V-Moda does very good cables. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I can't comment on the Boompro though.
 - Which is best TubeMagic D1 Plus or Schiit Modi + Mangi ? That I don't know. I'll let someone else answer this.

Do let us know what you think once you get them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back