The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Sep 30, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #3,451 of 4,136
  CAL 1 or CAL 2? CAL 2 is a better looking one tbh. 

I would buy anything up to 200euro IF the BASS is punchy and live but done right. Well, all I'm looking is that WOW effect and fun headphones. I'm not working in studio and I really don't need analytical headphones, I'm not a professional :)

Sony MDR-1A

Oppo PM-3

NAD HP50

PSB M4U1

Beyerdynamic DT1770 (No idea if this is good. Too new to say.)

MrSpeakers Mad Dog / Mad Dog Pro / Alpha Dog

Bower & Wilkins P7

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #3,453 of 4,136
Hey guys I need to ask here
smily_headphones1.gif
as I'm PC gamer only, I'm looking for some headphones for immersive experience when I'm watching movies or play games. Just to be clear, I'm not a competitive gamer(from FPS genre mostly BF4 and just casual), I like playing various genres and love watching movies and listening to music(electronica, rock, hiphop/rap).

Just looking for some full IMMERSIVE experience mostly in movies and games (good bass and treble but not bad highs either, just emphasis on bass and treble) and it's sooo hard to find a good headphones. I wonder is it even possible...

Prefer straight cable, removable, mic not needed.

Of course they must be closed because I'dont want make any noise during my nighttime sessions.

If you can still find them, I found the ultrasone HFI-780 to do a good job in the base department and they did a good job in games as well.Tho I found the Audio Technica A900X to do a very good job with gaming.I don't recall how the A900X sounded but I still recall how the Ultrasone HFI-780 was. Since it was the reason why I moved away from the HFI-780 as I got tired of the club style bass. I don't think I you mentioned it unless you did on a couple of pages back. What are you plugging these into.

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #3,454 of 4,136
CAL 1 or CAL 2? CAL 2 is a better looking one tbh. 

I would buy anything up to 200euro IF the BASS is punchy and live but done right. Well, all I'm looking is that WOW effect and fun headphones. I'm not working in studio and I really don't need analytical headphones, I'm not a professional :)

CAL 1 is supposed to sound better than CAL 2.

Like I said, you can try the Custom One Pro. It has 4 switches that alter the low end or Bass, if you want more bass that is.

The M50X is more meant for Music but works okay for games, sounds way to upfront for me and kind of claustrophobic for gaming.

I was going to say that the TH600 from Fostex would seal the deal but that's over your budget

The Shure 1540 might be what you are looking for.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #3,456 of 4,136
So I got a question regarding my vmoda boom pro mic. Im using it with my X2 and Im using an Asus Xonar DG with optical out going to a Schiit Modi 2 Uber and to my Cayin C5. Now, obviously the Vmoda mic uses a y splitter to seperate the Mic and Stereo inputs of which the Stereo input goes into the C5 and the Mic is connected to an extension 3.5mm cable to my Asus Xonar DG for Mic purposes.

But.....for some reason, when the mic is connected to my Xonar DG, I can hear a buzz in my headphones....its noticeable when there is nothing playing through my headphones and everything else is on and a bit noticeable when I am playing something...

However, when I disconnect the Mic from the Xonar DG, the buzz is gone. Any reason why this is happening or a fix I can do?

I was thinking of getting a Snowball mic and call it a day but I dont want to spend another 50 bucks right now and I rather much prefer using my vmoda mic which does the job really well in terms of keeping it simple. TIA

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #3,457 of 4,136
Can you guys recommend me the best soundcard for 3d positional audio for my future headphones? I am planning on getting the akg k7XX headphones as they have amazing soundstage,positional accuracy, and fun factor which will connect to my schiit magni2 uber/modi2uber stack through toslinq. My z906 5.1 speakers will connect directly to the card. My main priority are my headphones for gaming.

I mainly plan to use the card for gaming as ill go stereo for music. I mainly play multiplayer fps games competitively, but sometimes play other immersive games as well.

which sound card with optical out will support the most and best features for competitive fps? Such as cmss 3d, SBX. Dolby HP, TruStudio

Also, ive heard mixed reviews. Which is better? CMSS 3D or TruStudio Pro surround?

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #3,458 of 4,136
A Sound blaster Z you should be able to find a couple used on amazon or ebay. Then you go into the advance tab in the creative panel and check the send stereo mix to optical.

Then config windows to 5.1 and the creative panel to headphones and just enable SBX surround and all of that will be sent to your modi2 uber optical and you be set.

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #3,459 of 4,136
Hello everyone.

I have been posting on Mad Lust Envies thread about some headphones I am trying out. I bought the soundblaster E5 and I am pretty disappointed to say the least. I am playing Battlefeld 4 and regardless of what settings I use in the SBX control panel I dont get convincing positional audio that improves on the innate headphone positional audio (using just the AMP). I currently have the game-one, AKG K702 and AKG K612 Pro. The Positional sound with the 702 is great but when I try to use the SBX features like surround all it does is make the sound louder and adds some nicer effects. Positional audio remains the same or slightly worse in that surround is still there...but it becomes more vague.

The users on Mad Lust Envies thread have mentioned that I should be able to choose surround in Windows 8.1 but this is not possible. Only stereo speakers are an option in the windows control menu (e.g accessed via right clicking 'speaker' icon and configuring speakers. Apparently people have been using the surround feature in windows but I am not able to. I have latest drivers and also latest firmware installed. Is the E5 really so bad? Maybe I should just stick ith the Razer Kraken headset...i dont want to but :frowning2:

Then I found this thread on the Creative forums which appears to contradict what people are telling me in Mad Lust Envies thread:

http://forums.creative.com/archive/index.php?t-717470.html

Here the tech support confirms that the E5 is only seen as a stereo device by windows.

I am going insane now! 
blink.gif

I need to know that I have configured it correctly as I have these headphones to test and they have to go back soon. I may have wasted the last 3 days testing these headsets with the E5. Perhaps the Z would have been a better choice, but I wanted to eliminate EMI risk :frowning2:

Thank you in advance for your advice!!

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #3,460 of 4,136
It's not the software settings, its the simple fact that the E5 only have stereo as a selection in windows. That's why SBX isn't working that well because it needs to down-mix the 5.1 audio to the headphones. Without that option all you doing is using stereo and then applying the SBX to the audio which doesn't work that well at all.  The sound blaster Z SBX works because of the option of setting 5.1 in games and windows and then headphones in the SBZ control panel as  it  down-mixing the 5.1 audio and then applying SBX surround which why it works really well in the first place. The E5 is at fault here for only having stereo as a option sadly plenty of external creative devices are design like this such as the X-Fi HD usb.  You only way around this is to move to a sound blaster Z.  But the guide is correct, Without those settings SBX wont be doing it job and would be sub-par without those settings. It also applies to other types of Virtual headphone software.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #3,461 of 4,136
Hey everyone,

I've been reading through a lot of this particular guide and Mad Lust Envy's guide and had a question that I hope can be resolved easily by you guys.  Between the three cans:
  1. BeyerDynamics DT990 (600 ohm)
  2. Fostex TH-X00 (Currently on MassDrop, most comparisons are to an improved version of the D7000s)
  3. Philips Fidelio X2

Which one would be most suitable / provide the best audio quality for gaming?  I don't need them to be bleeding edge on the competitive scene, though I would prefer them to work well for positioning FPS's like CS:GO and Battlefield, etc.  And I do enjoy immersion for games like Witcher 3 that have sweeping soundscapes at times.  I figured these three offered the best tradeoff between positional accuracy and immersive capabilities.  I'm currently in the MassDrop for the DT990s but was considering dropping out to hop over to the TH-X00s since they seem to be so highly regarded already.

I would plan on buying an appropriate DAC and AMP setup according to whichever cans you guys can help me select.  Thanks a lot, and I hope to be more involved in these forums as I get better listening experience!

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #3,462 of 4,136
  Hey everyone,

I've been reading through a lot of this particular guide and Mad Lust Envy's guide and had a question that I hope can be resolved easily by you guys.  Between the three cans:
  1. BeyerDynamics DT990 (600 ohm)
  2. Fostex TH-X00 (Currently on MassDrop, most comparisons are to an improved version of the D7000s)
  3. Philips Fidelio X2

Which one would be most suitable / provide the best audio quality for gaming?  I don't need them to be bleeding edge on the competitive scene, though I would prefer them to work well for positioning FPS's like CS:GO and Battlefield, etc.  And I do enjoy immersion for games like Witcher 3 that have sweeping soundscapes at times.  I figured these three offered the best tradeoff between positional accuracy and immersive capabilities.  I'm currently in the MassDrop for the DT990s but was considering dropping out to hop over to the TH-X00s since they seem to be so highly regarded already.

I would plan on buying an appropriate DAC and AMP setup according to whichever cans you guys can help me select.  Thanks a lot, and I hope to be more involved in these forums as I get better listening experience!

If you pick X2, you won't need to buy an amp. Although I recommend buying a good soundcard. I strongly recommend it! X2 is open but stills very bassy and "natural" sounding.
I'm currently switching from Xonar DX optical and Modi2 USB for gaming and music, respectively, as source for Magni2u. Very satisfied.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #3,463 of 4,136
Pretty excited to be getting a Titanium HD again (first one I never got to use because I returned the system) to play those games in all their glory with 3D audio. I've never experienced it, so it'll be just like starting from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back