The Multi-Purpose Challenge
Mar 31, 2013 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MrBKR

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Ok, here is the challenge and the background to my problem.

I need a pair of over-ear headphones that can do 3x jobs well (listed in the order they'll be used for most)...

1. A private monitors for a Roland Drum Kit. (any good headphone with pace and drive should be ok here)
2. For late night films (need open-scale, drama, pace, bass and clear vocals)
3. For music that covers pretty much every genre (Film scores/Classical/Pop/Rock)

Must be comfy (2-3hr periods) and a budget of around £150-200 ($200-300 maybe).

Need to have punchy driving rhythmical Bass (rather than deep for deep's sake with no pace or impact).

Need to have good clear open midrange with an expansive soundstage. By this, I can remember years ago listening to a pair of Sennheiser HD580II and the open/airy sound was simply lushous and addictive... If you can couple that to a Deep/Puchy Bass and a bit more drive = Winner!

Cannot be too shrill at the top end or cymbal crashes will sound awful.

So far I have listened to (and thoughts)..

AT M50s: Comfy, not bad at all, neutral, but seem to lack any excitement and drive. Sounded a tiny bit dull and 'closed-in'
Beyer DT770(250): Nice bass, quite punchy, but again really lacked any sense of openess (sound was in my head, not around me)
Beyer DT990(250): Better sense of openness thanks to open back, but lost the punch of the bottom end badly on the pair I heard.
[Both Beyers were very comfy though and I quite liked them]
Sennheiser HD380PRO: So uncomfy and just poor!
Grado SR80i: Very musical and pleasant but did not like cheap on-ear feel of old-scool poly-foam pads and twin cables.
Soundmagic HP100: Actually not that bad, not a bad attempt at multi-purpose... but a bit plastic looking and I'm sure I can do better...

On the shortlist but not auditioned:

AKG K550: But worried about fit (as I have a small ish head and heard horror stories here)
ATH AD700: Might be missing the Bass/Punch?
Sennheiser 6xx???

Also considering pushing the boat out to Beyer 990(600), Do these really sort out the nidrange issue?

The "Beyer Sound" (V-curve) will actually really suit playing Drums (the 770's would be good for this), but I really fear that Films and Music will lose there sense of scale and life and excitement... (again, 990 600 Ohm?)

My difficulty is getting out to audition more phones. So I need some good concrete suggestions to Buy-and-Try, but I need to get a list down to one or two.

If you want some audio suggestions to match it to???

Murry Gold - I am the Doctor (Great all-round track for scale drama 'classical' instuments etc)
Underworld - Jumbo (first few minutes are good bit of detail and Bass)
Men in Black OST (Closing) (Pick out the details in this)
Eagles - Hotel California Live
Simple Minds - Don't Forget Aout Me
Radiohead - Just
Sam & Womp - Bom Bom

I feel I might be going around in circles reading review after review... So would appreciate some suggestions...

If everyone answering maybe picks the 'one' they'd go for, and we'll do a kind of survey and see what comes out top?

Thank you all..
gs1000.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 7
Unfortunately there are no all-in-one solutions for your needs. For films, you may need a lot of bass, and I can't imagine myself listening classical with bass-head headphones... Planning to use it before go to bed? look for detachable cables...

...Willing to sacrifice something?

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 7
The sacrifice I would say would be the drums. So long as the sound is not harsh/shrill at the top, most reasonable headphones will be ok. In-ears would be ok for the drums. They don't need audiophile quality.

With Bass, I don't need ridiculous extension or overbearing bass, rather a tight fast punchy/thumpy bassline that drives music forward and underpins the sound and adss weight and authority. So long as the midrange/vocals remain clear and there's a good open soundstage.

Do not need 'last word' in openess just not confined or closed-in lifeless sound.

Currently, after another 24hrs of reading reviews and thoughts, I am swaying towards Beyer DT880 or DT990's (but want the 600 Ohms and they're difficult to get in UK) and not sure which to go for. I've listened to DT770 and DT990 (both 250 Ohm) and while I loved their comfort.

I liked the Bass drive of the 770's and the Openess of the 990's. I would guess the 880's are in between, but I think the 990-600's might be best for open-airy sound and good Bass?

There is a part of me that also thinks I would like the open-sound of the HD600/650's with the 650's giving more 'punch'?

There is often quesions like "best for treble?" or "best for bass?" or "best for vocals?" etc. Rarely see "Best for PUNCH?"

So: Beyer 880/990's or Sennheiser 600/650 or Something else?

I must also say, when in town auditioning, I only Had iPhone5 to drive these, which means I know I'll get a massive improvement when driven from home AV amp (Yamaha RX-A1010), and that may be a factor in peoples thoughts...?

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Try the Audio Technica ATH-A900X. Depending on where you are in the UK, you're welcome to audition my set(I'm usually either in Liverpool or York).

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Nice offer, thank you. Alas, I am in the South West.

I'll stick the AT's on the list and look for them locally.

A900X and NOT the AD900X (only difference Closed/Open back???)

What is the soundstage and 'openess' of the Closed-Back A900X's???

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 7
The soundstage is large for any closed headphone. The imagining isn't as great nor is the layering, especially compared to an open headphone, being less accurate and precise than something like the HD598. But for a closed headphone, the soundstage and airiness is outstanding.

With a small head you might need an elastic band between the wings as well. But I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with either the AD900X or the A900X if your previous headphone was the M50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back