The MOVIE that made you cry?
Feb 17, 2003 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

stallion11msu

100+ Head-Fier
Inspired by markl's old thread, I thought this thread would be a natural extension. I myself don't often cry to music, but I cry during movies far more frequently.

Here are some flicks that turned me into a puddle:

Braveheart - RIGHT at the part where Mel yells "FREEEEDOM!"

I Am Sam - DO NOT watch this with any of your guy friends. (Although crying during a film WILL score points with any female friend of yours.)

I did NOT cry during Old Yeller, oddly enough.

So what about everyone else?

Feb 17, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 46
the first one i remember crying at (in a manly, noble way) was "e.t." dat a-little puppet, he make-a me cry! seriously, that film pushed a lot buttons for me as a kid, and has some interesting subtexts about the death of childhood and even christ. what put me over the top was john william's music--perhaps his best score.

Feb 17, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 46
I don't think I've ever cried seeing a movie. The one which moved me the most anyway is Dien Bien Phu by Pierre Schoendoerffer. The cold litany of the hills falling the last night is terrible.

Ooh, I forgot the soundtrack has been composed by Georges Delerue and adds a lot to this movie.

Feb 17, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 46
I've been thinking and thinking about this one, and I realised even though I was probably 17, I think "ET" was the first mpvie that actually made me cry. I loved that big old worm head.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 17, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
I don't think I've ever cried seeing a movie. The one which moved me the most anyway is Dien Bien Phu by Pierre Schoendoerffer. The cold litany of the hills falling the last night is terrible.

Ooh, I forgot the soundtrack has been composed by Georges Delerue and adds a lot to this movie.

Is that the exact title, or is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...roduct-details

Feb 17, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 46
I usually try to choke back the tears. But some movies have a point where I just can't hold back anymore. It's always the ones where I can relate in some fashion -- like I see myself in the character's position, and then imagine what that would be like if I were in that situation.

Here are my tearjerkers:

Dumbo --> when i was in elementary school, this movie inexplicablty made me weepy. i had to hide it in front of the other kids, for fear of seeming babyish.

Not One Less --> a chinese foreign film -- there is one scene in here that i could not bear... a child substitute teacher goes in search of a student in the city, and she is asked to play a stern and responsible role. she wanders into a TV studio, lost and confused, but still determined -- and she breaks down in front of the camera and the tears start rolling.

Grave of the Fireflies --> japanese anime from studio Ghibli (though it is not Miyazaki-directed). if you were ever skeptical about animation not having strong emotional impact, you need to watch this film. it is set in japan surrounding WWII. the whole movie is really sad... there were about 3 or 4 moments where it is really hard to contain the tears.

Dancer in the Dark --> what can i say... seeing bjork put in that situation... just too much to bear.

i do not cry often in movies, but these really hit a chord with me.

Feb 17, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Is that the exact title, or is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...roduct-details

It isn't this one. I don't think this movie has been adapted from French to English. Or even in DVD or VHS. Amazon.fr doesn't have it. And it is unavailable according to this website

But it existed !

dienbienphu.jpg

Schoendoerffer also produced a movie about your Vietnam war, called the Anderson Platoon which should be more easily available.

Feb 17, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 46
Obvious ones:
Schindler's List
Life is Beautiful
Terms of Endearment
The Color Purple

Others:
What Dreams May Come - Especially when he realizes that the Asian guide/flight attendant is really his daughter.
AI - Especially when his mother leaves him in the woods.
8 Seconds - Weird, I know. Not the movie itself. but the credits had me suddenly bawling for some reason!

Yeah, I'm a sap. I'm sure I'll think of some more...real life gets to me more these days though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back