The most underappreciated can ever? DT 48
Nov 5, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #91 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm...interesting cans....

Was debating another new RS-1, but maybe the DT48 might be a better buy?

Sounds like the DT48 might be better on highs/details , and mids(?), but wonder how the bass would compare with RS-1?

They're not at all alike. The RS-1 is like beer goggles and the DT48 is like the cold, clear light of dawn. I don't want to say the DT48 isn't musical, because it is. But it isn't the lush fun of Grado.

Also, Grados are capable of making an iPod sound good. At the LA meet, I jacked a DT48 into an amp (that I won't name) and I could hear the amp smearing transients and notes. Might have been an impedance mismatch, but the amp should have been able to handle a 25 ohm load. Was able to do a quick comparison with my Zana and the same CD and the smearing wasn't there. I haven't noticed a similar ability with the RS-1. For the record, I love the RS-1, too.

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #93 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krelian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these headphones easy to re-cable? It sure doesn't look like it, and I really need to replace the way too short stock cable.

Actually, they're designed to be recabled easily. The "Y" splitter has a screw in it and can be taken apart easily. The earcups have a screw on the side that disassembles them, too. You will need to pick up a set of "security" screw bits at a hardware store to get the cups open.

But the DT48 is for studio work; they anticipated that the cable would wear out over the years and they made it relatively easy to get inside. Beyerdynamic will sell you new cable assemblies, too. They also make it easy to replace the earpads.

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #95 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, they're designed to be recabled easily. The "Y" splitter has a screw in it and can be taken apart easily. The earcups have a screw on the side that disassembles them, too. You will need to pick up a set of "security" screw bits at a hardware store to get the cups open.

But the DT48 is for studio work; they anticipated that the cable would wear out over the years and they made it relatively easy to get inside. Beyerdynamic will sell you new cable assemblies, too. They also make it easy to replace the earpads.

Mine need to be recabled.. I get crackling in the left channel at times..But no problem when the cables are sedentary..

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #97 of 110
Not one ounce.. It was made with the highest fidelity in mind.. Wasn't made to sound 'pleasant.' That being said, they get me into the music more then any headphone I owned.. Every instrument is analyzed down to their bare essentials, & their midrange sucks you in.. I'm getting another DT48.. The e model, recabled with Cardas. I really admire these headphones for their unique strengths, & un heard of, if you can find them for under 200..

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #98 of 110
where can u get the DT48 that ships to australia?

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #99 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can u get the DT48 that ships to australia?

On the first or second page theres a list of UK dealers. You should look there.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #100 of 110
259 euros. thats not that bad. about 550 AUD right now.

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #103 of 110
Can anybody direct me to someone who could re-cable my dt48 for me.I'm not technically inclined, but i sooo desperately want to get these classics re-cabled.

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #104 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizwej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anybody direct me to someone who could re-cable my dt48 for me.I'm not technically inclined, but i sooo desperately want to get these classics re-cabled.

What model? Actually these are one of the easiest headphones to recable. Beyer made it very easy for the user.. But if you aren't inclined you can ask around in the DIY forum.

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #105 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What model? Actually these are one of the easiest headphones to recable. Beyer made it very easy for the user.. But if you aren't inclined you can ask around in the DIY forum.

dt48e 25ohm.i will ask in the DIY forum.Thanks for the suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back