The most reliable/easiest way to EQ headphones properly to achieve the most ideal sound (for non-professionals)
Nov 13, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #256 of 262

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
It depends on what kind of digital in and out you have. Do you have HDMI in and out? The EQ patches in-between the player and the amp. If you have multiple inputs, you will need a preamp to act as a switcher in front of the equalizer.

I use a AV Receiver with built in 5 band parametric on every channel. But I don't think that would work for headphones. Older receivers had tape loop inputs and outputs that you could use to patch an equalizer into and have it work with every input. But I haven't seen anything like that in many years.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #257 of 262

rmsanger

500+ Head-Fier
It depends on what kind of digital in and out you have. Do you have HDMI in and out? The EQ patches in-between the player and the amp. If you have multiple inputs, you will need a preamp to act as a switcher in front of the equalizer.

I use a AV Receiver with built in 5 band parametric on every channel. But I don't think that would work for headphones. Older receivers had tape loop inputs and outputs that you could use to patch an equalizer into and have it work with every input. But I haven't seen anything like that in many years.

My chain is:

Fiio X7 DAP (lineout/coax) -> Holo Audio Spring KTE dac (XLR / RCA) -> Phonitor E / Holo Mommoth KTE -> Headphones

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #258 of 262

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
A digital equalizer would go between your DAP and your DAC. You would need a equalizer that has coax in and out. That may be tough. Someone else might know of something that would work. I'm afraid I don't.

You're probably going to have to go analog with a dual 31 band EQ and take the XLR output of the DAC and plug the equalizer into the amp with XLR. With that route, the more you spend, the better precision you get. The cheapest would probably be the DBX 231s at about $150. The high end would be the DBX2231at about $550. You'll want to look over the features of the DBX equalizers and see what suits you. The higher end ones might have limiters and noise reduction you don't need.

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #259 of 262

rmsanger

500+ Head-Fier
A digital equalizer would go between your DAP and your DAC. You would need a equalizer that has coax in and out. That may be tough. Someone else might know of something that would work. I'm afraid I don't.

You're probably going to have to go analog with a dual 31 band EQ and take the XLR output of the DAC and plug the equalizer into the amp with XLR. With that route, the more you spend, the better precision you get. The cheapest would probably be the DBX 231s at about $150. The high end would be the DBX2231at about $550. You'll want to look over the features of the DBX equalizers and see what suits you. The higher end ones might have limiters and noise reduction you don't need.

Have you heard of Klark Teknik DN370 as it seems to get very good reviews on the pro audio forums (gear slutz). I would assume this would be down the same area as the DBX eqs.

https://reverb.com/item/31188350-klark-telnik-dn370

https://www.klarkteknik.com/product.html?modelCode=P0ACA

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #260 of 262

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know anything about that brand, but it looks like it would do the trick well.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #261 of 262

colonelkernel8

Headphoneus Supremus
Nov 27, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #262 of 262

Reticular

New Head-Fier
@Lunatique, man, i had to register to say thank you for that first post! Thank you!

Why you ask? I have pretty old Sennheiser PX100 headphones, and my monitors (M-Audio BX8) are kinda wanky in the room i am in right now, i did "EQ" of the room, but i dont feel confident. I think i made better mixes with my old Technics Hifi, anyhow...i knew my headpohones were bass heavy, i was trying to reference stuff, but was not satisfied, i needed "something" to hold on so i can get at least 65% of the mix on the right track and make the best of what i have right now.

I got some graphs from headphone test site, did EQ thru Peace Equalizer yesterday, went thru your track and descriptions, did some moves and ended up feeling pretty confident for doing some referencing.

This really helped me. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread