The most reliable/easiest way to EQ headphones properly to achieve the most ideal sound (for non-professionals)
Nov 13, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #256 of 316
It depends on what kind of digital in and out you have. Do you have HDMI in and out? The EQ patches in-between the player and the amp. If you have multiple inputs, you will need a preamp to act as a switcher in front of the equalizer.

I use a AV Receiver with built in 5 band parametric on every channel. But I don't think that would work for headphones. Older receivers had tape loop inputs and outputs that you could use to patch an equalizer into and have it work with every input. But I haven't seen anything like that in many years.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #257 of 316
It depends on what kind of digital in and out you have. Do you have HDMI in and out? The EQ patches in-between the player and the amp. If you have multiple inputs, you will need a preamp to act as a switcher in front of the equalizer.

I use a AV Receiver with built in 5 band parametric on every channel. But I don't think that would work for headphones. Older receivers had tape loop inputs and outputs that you could use to patch an equalizer into and have it work with every input. But I haven't seen anything like that in many years.

My chain is:

Fiio X7 DAP (lineout/coax) -> Holo Audio Spring KTE dac (XLR / RCA) -> Phonitor E / Holo Mommoth KTE -> Headphones

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #258 of 316
A digital equalizer would go between your DAP and your DAC. You would need a equalizer that has coax in and out. That may be tough. Someone else might know of something that would work. I'm afraid I don't.

You're probably going to have to go analog with a dual 31 band EQ and take the XLR output of the DAC and plug the equalizer into the amp with XLR. With that route, the more you spend, the better precision you get. The cheapest would probably be the DBX 231s at about $150. The high end would be the DBX2231at about $550. You'll want to look over the features of the DBX equalizers and see what suits you. The higher end ones might have limiters and noise reduction you don't need.

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #259 of 316
A digital equalizer would go between your DAP and your DAC. You would need a equalizer that has coax in and out. That may be tough. Someone else might know of something that would work. I'm afraid I don't.

You're probably going to have to go analog with a dual 31 band EQ and take the XLR output of the DAC and plug the equalizer into the amp with XLR. With that route, the more you spend, the better precision you get. The cheapest would probably be the DBX 231s at about $150. The high end would be the DBX2231at about $550. You'll want to look over the features of the DBX equalizers and see what suits you. The higher end ones might have limiters and noise reduction you don't need.

Have you heard of Klark Teknik DN370 as it seems to get very good reviews on the pro audio forums (gear slutz). I would assume this would be down the same area as the DBX eqs.

https://reverb.com/item/31188350-klark-telnik-dn370

https://www.klarkteknik.com/product.html?modelCode=P0ACA

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #260 of 316
I don't know anything about that brand, but it looks like it would do the trick well.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #261 of 316
Nov 27, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #262 of 316
@Lunatique, man, i had to register to say thank you for that first post! Thank you!

Why you ask? I have pretty old Sennheiser PX100 headphones, and my monitors (M-Audio BX8) are kinda wanky in the room i am in right now, i did "EQ" of the room, but i dont feel confident. I think i made better mixes with my old Technics Hifi, anyhow...i knew my headpohones were bass heavy, i was trying to reference stuff, but was not satisfied, i needed "something" to hold on so i can get at least 65% of the mix on the right track and make the best of what i have right now.

I got some graphs from headphone test site, did EQ thru Peace Equalizer yesterday, went thru your track and descriptions, did some moves and ended up feeling pretty confident for doing some referencing.

This really helped me. Cheers

Jan 12, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #263 of 316
Hope this is an okay thread to ask this and yall won't mind the minor bump: I have the CA Honeydews as my "main"--or rather, only--IEMs right now. I'm interested in getting the Shozy SCB2s, but they're a bit expensive to blindly buy right now. Crinacle (for example) has the FR graphs for both IEMs. Could I EQ the Honeydews to sound potentially similar to the SCB2s to get an idea how they might sound, based on the graphs alone? If so, what would be the best way to go about it? I suppose Peace does have the EQ graph too so I could just start adjusting things by hand until it looks somewhat similar, but that seems laborious.

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #264 of 316
Could I EQ the Honeydews to sound potentially similar to the SCB2s to get an idea how they might sound, based on the graphs alone?

Not sure you’ll get and particularly helpful answers to your question. Unless someone has tried to EQ match those specific IEMs to the SCB2s and accurately measured the results, there’s no way to know. Otherwise, the answer to your question is “possibly”.

The way to try, is to compare the graph of your IEMs to the graph of the SCB2s and compensate for the differences with EQ. This could get you roughly in the ball park but could just as easily lead you astray. For example the EQ could induce distortion in the music files or your Honeydews that wouldn’t exist with the SCB2s, it would also make volume matching only a rough guess and there could be other issues.

G

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #265 of 316
Not sure you’ll get and particularly helpful answers to your question. Unless someone has tried to EQ match those specific IEMs to the SCB2s and accurately measured the results, there’s no way to know. Otherwise, the answer to your question is “possibly”.

The way to try, is to compare the graph of your IEMs to the graph of the SCB2s and compensate for the differences with EQ. This could get you roughly in the ball park but could just as easily lead you astray. For example the EQ could induce distortion in the music files or your Honeydews that wouldn’t exist with the SCB2s, it would also make volume matching only a rough guess and there could be other issues.

G

Gotcha, I figured that's likely the case. Thanks! I might try messing around with it for a bit, but I'm not gonna make any assumptions on the SCB2s based on it.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #266 of 316
When you say, "Could I EQ the Honeydews to sound potentially similar to the SCB2s to get an idea how they might sound, based on the graphs alone?" I'm assuming you're talking about how they sound to your ears in a general sense, not precise measured matching. My guess is that yes, you could get one set of IEMs to sound very much like another set of IEMs as long as the response of the set you're eqing has sufficient bass extension. You would want to use response graphs from the same source to avoid differences in correction curves that might have been used. That should give you a general idea of what the difference in response sounds like to you. It never hurts to experiment and try.

I doubt you could make IEMs sound like headphones that way though.

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #267 of 316
Hope this is an okay thread to ask this and yall won't mind the minor bump: I have the CA Honeydews as my "main"--or rather, only--IEMs right now. I'm interested in getting the Shozy SCB2s, but they're a bit expensive to blindly buy right now. Crinacle (for example) has the FR graphs for both IEMs. Could I EQ the Honeydews to sound potentially similar to the SCB2s to get an idea how they might sound, based on the graphs alone? If so, what would be the best way to go about it? I suppose Peace does have the EQ graph too so I could just start adjusting things by hand until it looks somewhat similar, but that seems laborious.
If you are looking at two sets listed on autoEQ from the same agent e.g. crinacle, easy enough to load the two sets of EQ data onto excel and subtract the EQ for the SCB2 from that for the Honeydew and use that as your emulator EQ

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 14, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #268 of 316
I am very puzzled about "Harman target curve" - to me that sounds really bad and I am not sure why is so popular.
I have applied compensation curves with AutoEQ and various results from here: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results
I have used Grado SR60i, AKG K701, HIFIMAN Deva Pro for those tests. The results were strange with all of them, for me mids were too strong and I was bothered especially by the high-end loss.
I know about the history, but I am not convinced of the "science" behind it. Mainly because is based on "a panel of 10 trained listeners" that were not specified.
Education and genre preference has a lot to do with how music is perceived by the brain. All those "listeners" seemed to prefer the female voice and really hated the cymbals/high hat.
To me that's not good at all...

Am I alone in this?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #269 of 316
The first Harman is very close to perfect for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back