The most overused expressions on Head-Fi
May 24, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #46 of 228
"My <insert boutique power cable here> made a drastic difference in the airiness of the highs, the mids are much more lush and liquid now, and the bass is much more substantial!  Also, my girlfriend spend the night with it, and now she's going to have a unicorn in August!  Unfortunately the power cord cost more than my net worth, so she's leaving me for it - but I hope they do well together!"

And just about anything relating to soundstage.  I honestly have to wonder if some people have ever actually been to a real concert.

May 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #47 of 228
"Grados are like sitting in the first row.  Sennheisers are like sitting in the middle row."

Either way, the sound still sounds like it's coming from 2'' away from my ears. Except with Stax.
The effect of distance is probably due to the larger driver diameters of the Sennheisers giving a further focal length to the sound, coupled with the less prominent highs, giving a sense of greater distance.

May 25, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #50 of 228
"synergy"

May 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #52 of 228
How about "Team <insert your product of choice that has nothing to do with being a team> UNITE!!!"

or

"Calling all <whatever> owners!"

These are headphones and amplifiers, people, not your favorite sports team!

May 26, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #53 of 228

Quote:
"Why people don't like the beats?" lol 

Complemented by "
mad.gif
Why do people buy Beats?!?
mad.gif
"

May 27, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #55 of 228
"musical"
lol

"neutral"
double lol

May 27, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #56 of 228

Quote:
"Grados are like sitting in the first row.  Sennheisers are like sitting in the middle row."

Either way, the sound still sounds like it's coming from 2'' away from my ears. Except with Stax.
The effect of distance is probably due to the larger driver diameters of the Sennheisers giving a further focal length to the sound, coupled with the less prominent highs, giving a sense of greater distance.

Maybe but I don't think it's driver size.  Different drivers have different staging even when they're the same size and in the same enclosure, for example HP1000 has bigger soundstage than the current RS1.  But soundstage mostly comes from the size and thickness of the pad with the angle of the driver factoring in, combined with either the size/shape of the enclosure if it's a closed phone or with open phones there's backwave venting tricks that create soundstage illusions. 

AFAIK

May 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #58 of 228

Quote:
Madmax, the video in your sig is the best thing I've ever seen.  I can't stop watching it.  I need to learn those arm/leg sway dance moves.  Amazing. 

triple lol

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #60 of 228

Users who are viewing this thread

Back