The Most Overrated Headphone goes to..
Oct 18, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
I vote for the Beyer DT250-80. It's not on the list...

It seems like you flame these phones because people who really like these phones such as Flasken and Macdef and I seem to disagree with your comments to newbies... I just have this feeling that you don't really hate them because no one could ever hate them.
wink.gif

Biggie.

Oct 18, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #17 of 95
No, I don't hate them at all. Quite - no very - pleasant phones to listen to and very comfortable too. But they're just a bit middle of the road - does everything OK, nothing really well. Heck, even the Eggos (66) sound better than the DT250's for general listening. Ergo, overrated based on the fact that here they're recommended for anything and everything.

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #18 of 95
I voted for the Sony R10 because I like some headphones that cost half or one third as much as it does more. Of course, the Sony R10 isn't bad in an absolute sense.

CD3000 would have been my second choice.

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #19 of 95
i went for the etys. i love them and all, but i think they get flung up to god-level when they really just aren't that amazing. yes, the detail is pretty good. yes, the isolation is incredible. but the sound just doesn't get me going sometimes. the soundstage is about 1/4" wide and that just gets to me sometimes i think. great headphone, though they are not for everybody.

however, i'll never part with them.

it was either this or the cd3000. boy do those suck it.

Oct 19, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 95
I voted for the HD600s. To take a line from grinch, "Boy do those suck it."
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #21 of 95
I voted for the er-6, which I own. I like them very well but they aren't great. I am glad to see the HD580 didn't get as many votes as the 600, since I just ordered the 580's.

Oct 19, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #24 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
Hmm...

V700.

Does it count if the overrating is done by one person alone??
If so, it is definately the most overrated phone here.

I'd say most Head-Fi member would say the V7 sounds like rotten cheese, they are so bad they arent even rated.

I'm shocked the HD600 is topping this list! HD600 seems to be the only headphone that can be no 1 in every category including being overrated.

Oct 19, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #25 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
And...er...when do I overrate them?

By even stooping to mention them on Head-Fi
evilfire.gif

(j/k
wink.gif
)

Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I voted for the Sony R10 because I like some headphones that cost half or one third as much as it does more. Of course, the Sony R10 isn't bad in an absolute sense.

CD3000 would have been my second choice.

I voted the same as kelly: R10 (only because I find it hard to believe they can be as better than everything else as they're touted to be
wink.gif
& CD3000.

I also voted for the Philips HP890 and the Ety ER-6. The former because I wasn't at all impressed; the latter because, while excellent for portable use, they don't hold a candle to the ER-4 series in terms of overall sound.

Oct 19, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #27 of 95
Me, I would have voted Stax Omega 2 if it was on the list, followed by the Big O; simply because while they're both hyped to be "fantasmagorically amazing" and "the bestofthebestofthebestofthebestofthebestofthebesto fthebestofthebestofthebestofthebestofthebest SIR!!!", they're really only good with some types of music.

In the amps category, I would have voted the Holmes Powell - for it's fantastically amazing Monoaural(tm) soundstage.

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #28 of 95
Eric
Which types of music do you feel are ill suited for electrostatics?

It's interesting that the HD600 is winning by such a wide margin. I can see why. A year ago, I thought the HD600 was the best headphone in the world and I now wonder if it's even in the top 10. It's $450 retail which is too much, I think and retail or discount it costs more than the Beyerdynamic DT931 and shouldn't really. And, to top it off, a lot of people, including HeadRoom apparently, think it's the best you can do--so much so that they basically built a $3300 amplifier specifically for that headphone. And some people think the HD600 is perfect which is just bewildering to me.

But still... the MOST overrated headphone? I dunno. I still like the HD600. I paid $200 for mine and still feel like I got a good deal. I still like it. I still use it even. And, I have a coworker who will probably buy a pair despite knowing of better ones (thanks to me and Nick's last meeting). So maybe it's overrated, but I don't really get where people say it's the msot overrated. Counter-culture. Must be counter-culture. Like when people try to pretend Spielberg is a bad director because he's popular. Backlash. Only explanation.

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #29 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I voted the same as kelly: R10 (only because I find it hard to believe they can be as better than everything else as they're touted to be
wink.gif
& CD3000.

At least kelly has heard the R10. As a wise man once said, "Don't you be dissin' until you be listenin' "
rolleyes.gif

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #30 of 95
So far, the "least" overrated headphone is *cough, cough* the Koss TD60/TD80 (if only because either so few Head-Fiers own those closed Kosses or they weren't highly regarded to begin with).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back