Catch 33 - Meshuggah.
The Brown Album - Orbital
Repeater - Fugazi
The War of the Worlds - Jeff Wayne

4 picks from me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #62 of 80
Mirrored - Battles
The Crane Wife - The Decemberists (I have this on vinyl, and it's one of the albums I most often sit down on the turntable and let play the whole way around without interruption. I think Picaresque is better overall, though...)
Come on! Feel the Illinoise! - Sufjan Stevens
Negotiations and Love Songs - Paul Simon

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #63 of 80
Red Box - The Circle and The Square is a very well crafted album from basically a studio duo. Big sound without being too bloated.

Almost Impossible to find on CD though. If anyone has a copy they wanna sell, IM me.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #65 of 80
I can't believe I forgot to add this in the first place, but I made a post in another thread about it and think it absolutely deserves a spot in this thread:

DJ Q-Bert - Wave Twisters.

Not only is this a 60 minute narrative in turntabl-ese, but he hired a ridiculously talented animation house to craft a movie for the album which has since managed to gain a spot in the San Francisco museum of modern art's media arts wing.

A must-hear, and a must-see.

To go along with the Hip-Hop theme, Mos Def and Talib Kweli's collaboration Black Star should be on any Rap fan's top 25 list and from a straight lyrical perspective, the absurd academia of MC Paul Barman's Paullelujah deserves a place as well.

[EDIT 2] Man, I can't leave out Montreal's Kid Koala. His first full-length turntablism record Carpal Tunnel Syndrome won more awards than you can shake a stick at and, while decidely different than most scratch records, makes for an immensely entertaining listen, front to back - complete with recurring themes. Again, think sublime, lo-fi sample narrative over deck-virtuosity.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #66 of 80
Woot for Kid Koala! I've kind of grown out of my dabblings in listening to turntablism, though.

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #69 of 80
Gotta go with "Quadraphinia"-The Who and "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"-Genisis

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #73 of 80
Klaatu - 3:47 EST (also their Hope album). These guys were progressive rock before there was progressive rock! Klaatu (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neil Young - Greendale

This one is really a gem. It tells a single story from beginning to end. A lot of Neil's other albums are well crafted as well, like Harvest, Comes A Time, even Tonight's the Night.

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #75 of 80
Tool - especially 10,000 Days & Lateralus
Yes - especially Fragile, Union, Magnification
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing, In Absentia, Signify, Stupid Dream, Voyage 34, etc.
Pink Floyd - DSOTM, Animals, The Wall, etc.
Alan Parsons - Tales of Mystery & Imagination, Gaudi, Eye in the Sky, Stereotomy, etc.
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery, Tarkus, etc.
Tangerine Dream - Optical Race, Rockoon, Phaedra, etc.
Riverside - Out of Myself, Rapid Eye Movement, Second Life Syndrome

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back